My laptop's display is stuck on a light black screen 8 out of 10 times

So most of the time (which is really annoying) my laptop's screen turns to a light black screen every time I either close then open the lid, restart, shut down and boot up again, or try and boot into the boot menu. The keys still work and when I log in blind the second monitor displays just fine, and when I'm just interacting with the laptop display I can hear my actions taking affect, for example if I had a YouTube video open I can play the video, pause it, fast forward or rewind, mute the volume etc. If I was in a word document, I can type characters and drag the Microsoft Word window into the second display and see what I've typed. I originally thought it was booting up to the wrong display when turning on but it still occurs when my second monitor is disconnected, still occurs when I set the laptop screen as my primary display, which it already was, also when I set the second display as my primary display, the laptop screen is still light black, and when logging in the boot menu doesn't appear but the log in screen appears perfectly fine on the second display, it still happens when I only enable one of the two gpus in my laptop and when I enable both, and I tried uninstalling both display adapters and reinstalling them then updating their drivers, but that didn't work. Someone suggested DDU but I'm afraid that might not work either, but I'm going to try it later.  Here are videos of what I'm talking about. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ux7FnDisigQUhCUTRBbWExT0U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ux7FnDisigc2dwWW1ESWtQSXM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ux7FnDisigd19TVkh4OHBPUU0

My laptop is a Razer Blade 14 (2014)

Can someone help?

1 minute ago, NovaGear G2 said:

So most of the time (which is really annoying) my laptop's screen turns to a light black screen every time I either close then open the lid, restart, shut down and boot up again, or try and boot into the boot menu. The keys still work and when I log in blind the second monitor displays just fine, and when I'm just interacting with the laptop display I can hear my actions taking affect, for example if I had a YouTube video open I can play the video, pause it, fast forward or rewind, mute the volume etc. If I was in a word document, I can type characters and drag the Microsoft Word window into the second display and see what I've typed. I originally thought it was booting up to the wrong display when turning on but it still occurs when my second monitor is disconnected, still occurs when I set the laptop screen as my primary display, which it already was, also when I set the second display as my primary display, the laptop screen is still light black, and when logging in the boot menu doesn't appear but the log in screen appears perfectly fine on the second display, it still happens when I only enable one of the two gpus in my laptop and when I enable both, and I tried uninstalling both display adapters and reinstalling them then updating their drivers, but that didn't work. Someone suggested DDU but I'm afraid that might not work either, but I'm going to try it later.  Here are videos of what I'm talking about. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ux7FnDisigQUhCUTRBbWExT0U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ux7FnDisigc2dwWW1ESWtQSXM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ux7FnDisigd19TVkh4OHBPUU0

My laptop is a Razer Blade 14 (2014)

Can someone help?

contact razer they will help cause no computer has these issues this early

Just now, Hari S said:

contact razer they will help cause no computer has these issues this early

I mean I bought it a year ago and this problem appeared out of nowhere, and it seems fixable. Not like a cracked screen or anything. I also don't have enough money to send it in to Razer.

Just now, NovaGear G2 said:

I mean I bought it a year ago and this problem appeared out of nowhere, and it seems fixable. Not like a cracked screen or anything. I also don't have enough money to send it in to Razer.

do you have money to replace the screen

Just now, Hari S said:

do you have money to replace the screen

No, I don't.

does it trigger when the screen moves? it can be as simple as the LVDs cable being loose (I think the 2014 is lvds and not EDP?) and if that's the case you just gotta plug it back in tight and use some packing tape to hold it down 

anyway yah how comfortable are you with dissembling things like this?  

Also to be clear, when it's not working, it's not working in the bios or anything either, right? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

does it trigger when the screen moves? it can be as simple as the LVDs cable being loose (I think the 2014 is lvds and not EDP?)

Also to be clear, when it's not working, it' snot working in the bios or anything either, right? 

No, I doesn't trigger when the screen moves. I've picked up my laptop and walked around with it plenty of times and it does not go light black. Sometimes it works when I go into the BIOS and sometimes it does not.

2 minutes ago, NovaGear G2 said:

No, I doesn't trigger when the screen moves. I've picked up my laptop and walked around with it plenty of times and it does not go light black. Sometimes it works when I go into the BIOS and sometimes it does not.

I still think it could be that. The key is it's not just happening in windows, and it works sometimes, and the backlight is still on

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

does it trigger when the screen moves? it can be as simple as the LVDs cable being loose (I think the 2014 is lvds and not EDP?) and if that's the case you just gotta plug it back in tight and use some packing tape to hold it down 

Also to be clear, when it's not working, it's not working in the bios or anything either, right? 

I'm also not comfortable disassembling it since I don't have enough money to buy another one or parts to replace if broken. Also it's my only laptop, if it breaks I would have to bring my desktop into my dorm room, which makes it inconvenient for me since I don't completely trust my roommate with it, and it's gonna be inconvenient when working in class, plus I'm going to a hackathon next week.

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I still think it could be that. The key is it's not just happening in windows, and it works sometimes, and the backlight is still on

Right but why doesn't it trigger when I shake it, or run with it?

27 minutes ago, NovaGear G2 said:

I'm also not comfortable disassembling it since I don't have enough money to buy another one or parts to replace if broken. Also it's my only laptop, if it breaks I would have to bring my desktop into my dorm room, which makes it inconvenient for me since I don't completely trust my roommate with it, and it's gonna be inconvenient when working in class, plus I'm going to a hackathon next week.

26 minutes ago, NovaGear G2 said:

Right but why doesn't it trigger when I shake it, or run with it?

I'm not certain it's that, it's just that it's not common for them to work sometimes and sometimes not. It's not physically broken it appears. And I've seen that happen a lot, the cord comes from the bottom of the shell, goes to the top, not really any room for slack, and they can wiggle loose. Toshiba satellites used to be the worst for this, but I've seen it happen on all manners of laptop. 

Normally I'd be like "just do it!" but a thin laptop like this can be a challenge, and I understand not being comfortable with that. 

So if you do get it repaired, it may be cheaper than a whole screen replacement, if you bring it to an honest shop. 
It's too bad you are not close to me, I'd try it for free xD 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm not certain it's that, it's just that it's not common for them to work sometimes and sometimes not. It's not physically broken it appears. And I've seen that happen a lot. 

Normally I'd be like "just do it!" but a thin laptop like this can be a challenge, and I understand not being comfortable with that. 

So if you do get it repaired, it may be cheaper than a whole screen replacement, if you bring it to an honest. 
It's too bad you are not close to me, I'd try it for free xD 

Thanks, and yeah that's the confusing and frustrating part about it. That's why I thought it was fixable, that maybe it's some setting I need to change or update something. I'm actually responding to you right now with it because it's working perfectly fine now as if there was no issue to begin with but if I close the lid and open it up again, there's like a 8 out of 10 chance that it will go light black.

Thanks, and yeah that's the confusing and frustrating part about it. That's why I thought it was fixable, that maybe it's some setting I need to change or update something. I'm actually responding to you right now with it because it's working perfectly fine now as if there was no issue to begin with but if I close the lid and open it up again, there's like a 8 out of 10 chance that it will go light black.

I'd still look at disassembly videos and weigh how comfortable you feel doing stuff. If there's any glue involved, don't do it, but I'm pretty sure it's glue free. Could be wrong. 

Maybe you know someone who's good with this stuff? 

muh specs 

All parts black

I'd still look at disassembly videos and weigh how comfortable you feel doing stuff. If there's any glue involved, don't do it, but I'm pretty sure it's glue free. Could be wrong. 

Maybe you know someone who's good with this stuff? 

Not really. I have dissembled the laptop before but to a certain extent. It was just to replace one of the fans.  

12 minutes ago, NovaGear G2 said:

Not really. I have dissembled the laptop before but to a certain extent. It was just to replace one of the fans.  

hmm. Best I can do is give advice for if you do try it.

The most important things are patience, a screwdriver set that's grippy (not the thin metal ones) and using the right sizes to avoid stripping. Pair of tweezers and a credit card doesn't hurt. I can't find video on this particular one that aren't just ripping the assembly off, because what you'd need to do is take the assembly apart. I don't think this one has glue but double check. 

You could get some help from owners of this laptop on notebookreview forums 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/razer.1109/

and those people there are generally more laptop oriented, and could help you make sure this is it and find info about disassembly so you're not going in blind (like special bits and stuff). 

When  taking it apart, you could take a picture of each step, and for the screws, take a piece of paper, place them head side down so they don't roll, and write next to them where they go on the paper. 

If you're worried about loosing them but still want to separate them, a tackle box tray can be had for a couple of bucks 

SHAKESPEARE%202012%201247783-500x500.jpg

and they make for a great thing to store spare little screws, bits, and parts in the future. 

muh specs 

All parts black

hmm. Best I can do is give advice for if you do try it.

Well the most important things are patience, a screwdriver set that's grippy (not the thin meta ones) and using the right sizes to avoid stripping. Pair of tweezers and a credit card doesn't hurt. I can't find video on this particular one that aren't just ripping the assembly off, because what you'd need to do is take the assembly apart. I don't think this one has glue but double check. 

You could get some help from owners of this laptop on notebookreview forums 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/razer.1109/

and those people there are generally more laptop oriented, and could help you make sure this is it and find info about disassembly so you're not going in blind (like special bits and stuff). 

When  taking it apart, you could take a picture of step, and for the screws, take a piece of paper, place them head side down so they don't roll, and write next to them where they go on the paper. 

If you're worried about loosing them but still want to separate them, a tackle box tray can be had for a couple of bucks 

SHAKESPEARE%202012%201247783-500x500.jpg

and they make for a great thing to store spare little screws, bit, and part in the future. 

Thanks

Thanks

good luck whatever you do. =) 

muh specs 

All parts black