Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i7 8700k running too hot.

KieranFretwell

I recently got an i7 8700k and it seems to be running constantly at 4.3-4.7 GHz and 1.2-1.3 V. 

This is causing high temps, just having my PC on and browsing the web using chrome the temps reach 80c

When I played a game earlier today the temps almost reached 90c with not even a 50% load on the CPU.

I have tried two different coolers, the H60 and the H100 and there was barely any difference so I am convinced it has something to do with a setting in my BIOS.  

I have an MSI z370 SLI PLUS, anyone have any ideas? 

Image 2017-11-05 at 5.43.58 PM.png

3 minutes ago, KieranFretwell said:

I recently got an i7 8700k and it seems to be running constantly at 4.3-4.7 MHz and 1.2-1.3 V. 

This is causing high temps, just having my PC on and browsing the web using chrome the temps reach 80c

When I played a game earlier today the temps almost reached 90c with not even a 50% load on the CPU.

I have tried two different coolers, the H60 and the H100 and there was barely any difference so I am convinced it has something to do with a setting in my BIOS.  

I have an MSI z370 SLI PLUS, anyone have any ideas? 

Image 2017-11-05 at 5.43.58 PM.png

Just checking, but did you apply thermal paste, screw down your cooler tight enough, make sure your pump is plugged in and working?

(edit): also try it without the overclock for now.

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

Just checking, but did you apply thermal paste, screw down your cooler tight enough, make sure your pump is plugged in and working?

Yes, and as mentioned I tried two different coolers. Even if the cooler wasn't installed properly the fact that it is at a constant 4.3-4.7Ghz and 1.2-1.3V isn't normal right? 

1 minute ago, KieranFretwell said:

Yes, and as mentioned I tried two different coolers. Even if the cooler wasn't installed properly the fact that it is at a constant 4.3-4.7Ghz and 1.2-1.3V isn't normal right? 

Yes,it is not normal. When it is turned on, put your hand on the cpu cooler part of the aio to determine if the pump is working

edit: I know you used two different coolers, but it may be the header on your mobo

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

Yes,it is not normal. When it is turned on, put your hand on the cpu cooler part of the aio to determine if the pump is working

The pump works, i want to know what I can do to fix the clock speed and voltage. 

The pump works, i want to know what I can do to fix the clock speed and voltage. 

Try resetting the bios to defaults?

Also, if you have any windows programs that effect voltages/speeds, disable them.

can you take a screenshot of hwmoniter when it is at 90c and upload it please

Just now, Masters2150 said:

Try resetting the bios to defaults?

Also, if you have any windows programs that effect voltages/speeds, disable them.

I have tried resetting the bios and the only programs I have running are steam, chrome and Logitech gaming software. i have not downloaded any OC tools etc. 

1 hour ago, KieranFretwell said:

I have tried resetting the bios and the only programs I have running are steam, chrome and Logitech gaming software. i have not downloaded any OC tools etc. 

Was it always doing this from the start? If so maybe a bad chip