FPS drops in good old WoW

staubgame
Go to solution Solved by MrTiC,
23 minutes ago, staubgame said:

So a friend of mine is having trouble playing WoW on her (rather old) PC.

She mostly complains about fps drops to very low (single digit) levels.

Hardware:
AMD Phenom II X4 955

4 Gb DDR2 RAM

M5A88-V EVO

Radeon RX 460 2Gb

I checked temperature levels with her, they are fine (cpu is around 63ish, not above)

My guess is that, knowing blizzard and WoW, the game simply is, still, very single core reliant.

So I assume the old AMD simply can't keep up some times. (the infamous 1% and .1%, is that this?)

I know with legion multi core support was added but in other games from Blizzard, there's usually one core that does way more work than the others.

Anyone else has any experience or idea what could cause this problem?

Graphic settings are already very low and usually produce an 35+ average. (even is the most taxing areas like Suramar and the main cities)

CPU and ram are the culprit here ...

Last time i played wow i had between 50-110 fps on high - ultra

I7 4770k @4.2Ghz

12 Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 

GTX 760 4GB (the Rx 460 is about on par with the 760)

Hardware:
AMD Phenom II X4 955

4 Gb DDR2 RAM

M5A88-V EVO

Radeon RX 460 2Gb

I checked temperature levels with her, they are fine (cpu is around 63ish, not above)

My guess is that, knowing blizzard and WoW, the game simply is, still, very single core reliant.

So I assume the old AMD simply can't keep up some times. (the infamous 1% and .1%, is that this?)

I know with legion multi core support was added but in other games from Blizzard, there's usually one core that does way more work than the others.

Graphic settings are already very low and usually produce an 35+ average. (even is the most taxing areas like Suramar and the main cities)

Use e.g. MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU-usage and the load on every CPU-core. I would hazard a guess that one or more cores are pegged at ~max load. How to fix? Well, disable all addons and enable them one by one, seeing how much of an effect it has on the CPU-usage -- some addons really take a heavy toll on the CPU, some don't, so they have to be tested one-by-one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

23 minutes ago, staubgame said:

Hardware:
AMD Phenom II X4 955

4 Gb DDR2 RAM

M5A88-V EVO

Radeon RX 460 2Gb

I7 4770k @4.2Ghz

12 Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 

Let's agree to disagree

23 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Use e.g. MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU-usage and the load on every core. I would hazard a guess that one or more cores are pegged at ~max load. How to fix? Well, disable all addons and enable them one by one, seeing how much of an effect it has on the CPU-usage -- some addons really take a heavy toll on the CPU, some don't, so they have to be tested one-by-one.

21 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If its a CPU or GPU bottleneck, you will be able to see it with the MSI Afterburner overlay

Hmm Addons is a thing, yes. But she'll most likely wants to have all those she has installed. :/

Gonna ask her to try it, though. :)

12 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

I7 4770k @4.2Ghz

12 Gb DDR3 1600Mhz 

That's what I assumed, I was running a i5-2500k and had a significant fps gain when upgrading to n i7-6700.

So that is making it pretty clear.

I'll see what the MSI afterburner shows.

I don't have the PC here so I always have to ask her to do these tests, thus this delay :)

Thanks for replying so far, I'll post an update.

1 minute ago, staubgame said:

Hmm Addons is a thing, yes. But she'll most likely wants to have all those she has installed. :/

Gonna ask her to try it, though. :)

There are lighter alternatives for many addons, though, and with some of them you can configure them to use fewer resources. If you consider e.g. Recount versus Skada, Skada is a lot lighter on the resources and the preferable option on a low-spec PC, even if it's not quite as accurate as Recount.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

by the

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

power of

52 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

quoting notification!

One core maxes out at 75%, the others are above 90%. None peacked at 100%.

I checked a benchmark, the RX 460 does 45-50 FPS on max settings on FHD so that's not the bottleneck.

Now I really think it's CPU/RAM. ... right? :3 

1 minute ago, staubgame said:

One core maxes out at 75%, the others are above 90%. None peacked at 100%.

I checked a benchmark, the RX 460 does 45-50 FPS on max settings on FHD so that's not the bottleneck.

Now I really think it's CPU/RAM. ... right? :3 

Yup,

especially cpu, its time to upgrade

Let's agree to disagree

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If the GPU is at 100% when the framerate tanks, its the GPU that needs an upgrade

CPU peakod above 90% but GPU is only around 60%

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

If the GPU is at 100% when the framerate tanks, its the GPU that needs an upgrade

Keep in mind that wow's optimization is a joke

you can have 120 fps while gpu load is 60% then look the other way and have 70 fps at 45% load

and all that at 15% cpu load .... 

Let's agree to disagree