Disabling Internet Access for non-member PCs?

Sir Asvald

Hey guys, How can I deny access to the internet for PCs who try to connect via LAN who are not part of the domain? Do I do it within the group policy?

Thanks. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Hey guys, How can I deny access to the internet for PCs who try to connect via LAN who are not part of the domain? Do I do it within the group policy?

Thanks. :)

Ummm, just add a password? Or am I being stupid?

you can set your router to allow access to the computers you whitelist. you can add your devices mac to whitelist

1 minute ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

Ummm, just add a password? Or am I being stupid?

If it was that simple. :P

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

you can set your router to allow access to the computers you whitelist. you can add your devices mac to whitelist

I could to that, but again. Anyone can Spoof Mac Address. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

a yea i forgot about that

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

If it was that simple. :P

You say anyone can spoof a Mac address, but unless you're dealing with other techies I'd say it isn't very probable to asume that everyone is gonna do that.

If your network can do VLANs then just do a VACL to deny that VLAN out to the internet. Of course this would require separate VLANs for guest wireless access too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If your switches support it: 802.1X port-based network authentication with RADIUS.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

MAC address filtering and rules on DHCP server to provide anyone outside of your assigned MAC's to not have a gateway or DNS server.  That will prevent them accessing anything other than the local network/subnet.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

3 hours ago, Just.Oblivious said:

If your switches support it: 802.1X port-based network authentication with RADIUS.

Depending on how your ACLs are pushed down and applied, that could work as well :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 hours ago, Lurick said:

If your network can do VLANs then just do a VACL to deny that VLAN out to the internet. Of course this would require separate VLANs for guest wireless access too.

Firewall or gateway with RADIUS support might just be easier.. 

OP, there is absolutely no need to mess around with ACLs or such.

What you want is 802.1X authentication. What that means is that when a computer connects to the network it will be prompted to put in a username and password, which can be tied to your AD.

Look up how to implement 802.1X on the switches you use, and then install something like FreeRADIUS. You can also do it through Windows Server using NPS, but that can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

OP, there is absolutely no need to mess around with ACLs or such.

What you want is 802.1X authentication. What that means is that when a computer connects to the network it will be prompted to put in a username and password, which can be tied to your AD.

Look up how to implement 802.1X on the switches you use, and then install something like FreeRADIUS. You can also do it through Windows Server using NPS, but that can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

Or you just put a single ACL line that denies addresses from the guest range from leaving the network

Much simpler to do that 802.1X

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Or you just put a single ACL line that denies addresses from the guest range from leaving the network

Much simpler to do that 802.1X

That assumes that they already have something that separates non-domain PCs from domain ones (hopefully they do, but that's not sure), and it would not work with BYOD.

It would require the config to be copied (and changed) on all access switches as well, which could be a pain in the ass.

You can use access lists if you want, but why use the clunky method when we have a standard designed for this?

Just now, LAwLz said:

That assumes that they already have something that separates non-domain PCs from domain ones (hopefully they do, but that's not sure), and it would not work with BYOD.

It would require the config to be copied (and changed) on all access switches as well, which could be a pain in the ass.

You can use access lists if you want, but why use the clunky method when we have a standard designed for this?

I somehow was thinking just WLAN this whole time with a separate guest SSID that you could block with a single ACL line.

For LAN only access or more secure WLAN and LAN based access, I agree on the 802.1x method.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: