Overkill PCs

Mercury
Lots of things are considered overkill, people usually just say it when they are jealous of something and want to pick things out that you don't actually need.

Things usually considered as overkill:

>8GB RAM

>1866MHz RAM

>850W PSU

CPU >3770k

>256GB SSD

>2TB HDD

SLI 680 or above

XFire 7870 or above

These are the things I usually see people saying are overkill or nobody will ever need.

@limetech, Yes I meant for a gaming rig, these are the things I see a lot of people saying are overkill for a computer used for gaming.

@3570tech, More than 8GB of RAM is deemed as overkill by a lot of people for a gaming rig.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

My friend just built a computer that I think is major over kill for what he needs it for, he watches youtube videos, and plays nothing but empire total war. He bought a 3770k, 16gb 1600MHz memory, 2 670s, 1000w xfx psu, water cooling and 2 samsung ssds with a 1tb wd black for storage. I told him all he really needs is a 3570k, 8gb of ram and a 660ti with a 750w psu but hes one of those people who need the best for bragging rights xD
Im still rocking a gts250 1gb and a amd phenom 965 with 4gb of ram (I just ordered a 8gb kit ) lol and I can play all the games still except for Crysis 3 bc its DX11. I do plan on upgrading but ill probably only get a 7790 or a 650 ti boost :P

System: AMD Phenom II 965 BE, 8GB Mushkin Sliverline, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, Fractal Designs Core 1000, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair TX750W, Zalman CNPS5X (awful cooler), and a GTx 560 1GB.

What I believe is overkill for a PC is anything that a user puts into the PC that will not be used to the full potential.

Specifically in gaming, it depends on the game involved. Some games full spec hardware isn't needed in other PC game full spec. ie; Crysis 3 full spec hardware isn't needed to run solitaire (Mind you, you would be playing solitaire like no other :P ). So it's hard to put a list of hardware together that would be considered overkill.

There are many enthusiasts that build "overkill" PC's for their own satisfaction. Adding the custom loop, the Titan or two is more for the own user's aesthetic goal. Some just do it (like said above) for bragging rights. Either way, I wouldn't consider any PC overkill if it achieves the goal that is intended.

@wahdahale, I built my computer 3 years ago, spent maybe $600 on it and I dont plan on upgrading much anytime soon, maybe a new video card, and even without that i can still play all the latest games at medium settings except Crysis 3.

System: AMD Phenom II 965 BE, 8GB Mushkin Sliverline, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, Fractal Designs Core 1000, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair TX750W, Zalman CNPS5X (awful cooler), and a GTx 560 1GB.

If you can afford it. It's not overkill.

Laws only govern the honest.

When purchases are made but the customer can not explain the reason behind the purchase.
Here: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/computer-hardware/graphics-cards/151555-2x-gtx-titan-or-3x-gtx680-ftw

Prime example of this. Overkill/trolling.

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

Many people think I have an overkill PC for one reason: the only game I play is Minecraft.

What people do not understand however is that Minecraft is very cpu intensive, I run two servers 24/7 on the same computer, I record videos, I edit videos, and I upload videos!

I have 16GB of ram because usually I use over 10GB.

I have a 3770K because it has hyperthreading.

I have a 240GB SSD because the servers need that speed.

I have 2.5TB of storage which is almost full, and need to upgrade to save all my videos. (4TB drives FTW!)

I also need to upgrade my video card, but I will for the 700 series. Probably a 780 would be decent. ( recording REALLY drops your fps)

Many people think spending thousands of $ for a computer to run Minecraft is a waste, but personally I find it has its reasons.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can go a lot more excessive than this but people commonly make the mistake of

3770k over 3570k

more than 8gb ram/higher speed ram

excessive wattage psu

the rest will vary depending on your personal preferences and budget limitations

my new rig that i just built has i7-3770K (OC @ 4.9GHz), 16GB 2400MHz, AX1200I and it's awesome. I'm using most of the power outputs. Your point is invalid.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

You can go a lot more excessive than this but people commonly make the mistake of

3770k over 3570k

excessive wattage psu

the rest will vary depending on your personal preferences and budget limitations

Sure thats great but in terms of gaming, all that premium hardware will not significantly improve performance

To get near the same performance as your pc, a rig at at about half the price of yours is more than capable

Also the average gamer who doesn't do video editing and etc will not even use hyperthreading and more than/faster than 8gb 1600mhz ram

As your getting a large wattage psu, if you have enough things that require power than its fine but if not then it would just be wasted money on excessive potential, sure there is future proofing but considering how fast hardware advances, your rig will most likely be obsolete by the time you will need that extra power

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

You could always buy a $50.000 gold plated computer ;)

Be honest, how many of you gone window shopping and built a list of things you want,

but you know you'll never buy or need them

6 x 512gb SATA 3 SSD's, motherboards with built in SAS (workstation, not really for gaming)

sli titans, 64gb of ram on a ram riser card :p think we've all done it :)

how many people drooled over the EVGA dual xeon board with, I think 7 pcix16 slots, but don't quote me.

Like a friend of mine when he first got 16gb for nothing more than bragging rights,

only for me to ask him, let me know when you use all of that, while playing train simulator lol

3770k over 3570k

excessive wattage psu

You are WAY overkill on your PSU. An I7-3770K @ 4.9GHz has a MAX TDP of 112.5 and here is the calculation

4.9GHz(OC speed)/3.9GHz(Stock turbo)*1.4(Overclock voltage)/1.2(Stock Voltage)*77=112.5

What video cards are you running? 16GB of Ram doesn't really pull much power, with the motherboard @ 100% load, it's usually 25-35 watts for the board+ram. Unless you're running 4xHD 7970's you are WAY overkill. LED Fans don't even pull more than 3-4w each, even pumps don't offload too much either.

Summer build: I7-4770K @ 4.5GHz, 4x4GB (Alternative black/red) DDR3 1600MHz, HD 7970GHz Water blocked, XSPC res/pump combo, 2 dual 120MM radiators, Corsair 350D Case, Corsair AX860I 80+ Gold PSU, custom red individually sleeved cables, red tubing w/ silver/chrome compression fittings, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, ASrock Z87 MATX professional board, and a Corsair Vengeance K60 keyboard.

This is a very subjective question. Maybe an "Overkill" PC is just someone who doesn't want to be forced in changing the setup for 5 or so years. Or it could be somebody with a custom liquid cooled PC sporting a Quad SLI setup and a 3960X just so they can run Solitaire, Minesweeper, and the occasional Angry Birds session.

Dual Xeons
Yeah I can vouch, dual xeons= overkill

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I never looked at a computer as being overkill as without looking at what its being used for. If its a media computer then having high end gear in it (imo) would be considered overkill. Gaming, not so much.

When purchases are made but the customer can not explain the reason behind the purchase.

Brilliant answer and completely agree. If you don't know what you are buying and why, then most likely you don't need it. This comes to mind when I see some Caselabs builds on these forums...(I have only just started reading btw)