The Corsair Dominator Platinum Dilemma

Hey guys,

So for the past 3 months, I've been keeping a close eye on kits of 32GB RAM (from 3200Mhz to 3733Mhz) for one of my PC projects. My requirements for the RAM were (and still are):

1) Must be Corsair Dominator Platinums (I don't really have an explanation for this but they just have to be Dom Plats :) )

2) Must be 32GB (4x8GB) and 3200MHz or above (because I'm all about that high life ya know? :D )

I had originally planned to get the 32GB 3200MHz (4x8GB) kit in August for $369.99. However, for some odd reason I didn't buy it, and I totally regret that decision. Quickly, that kit jumped to $389.99, so I decided to try and wait for it to come back down. Of course, it didn't though. Instead, it went up to $409.99, $439.99, and now, an insane $479.99. Right around the time the 3200MHz kit went to $439.99, I began looking at other (higher) speed options. A 3600MHz 32GB (4x8GB) was going for $449.99 on NewEgg, but right when I was about to purchase it, it went out of stock (just my luck, right?). Anyways, here are the current PCPartPicker links for the 3200MHz kit, 3333MHz kit, 3600MHz kit, and 3733MHz kit respectively:

3200MHz (currently in stock on NewEgg for $479.99): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GCzZxr/corsair-memory-cmd32gx4m4b3200c16

3333MHz (currently in stock on NewEgg for $479.99): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NyKhP6/corsair-memory-cmd32gx4m4b3333c16

3600MHz (currently in stock on Amazon for $462.22): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BrNypg/corsair-dominator-platinum-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-cmd32gx4m4b3600c16

3733MHz (currently in stock on NewEgg for $494.99): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z3hj4D/corsair-dominator-platinum-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-3733-memory-cmd32gx4m4b3733c17

Looking at the part price history for each of these memory kits makes me depressed :/ (lol).

So, I've got the money to spend and am not really in any sort of budget (perks of being single amirite or amirite?), but I don't feel that spending $450 plus on RAM is necessarily worth it. "Then get some other memory, Dom Plats are way too overpriced anyways" you say, "or get some lower spec RAM" you say. And while I've considered these options, I am a very stubborn human being, and when I've got my eyes on something it WILL be MINE (hehe). I know this limits the ways you can help me, but I don't know if I should go ahead and buy the cheapest of all the options, 3600MHz kit, or wait longer (than I already have been) for the prices of the RAM to go down. The RAM has been the one thing preventing me from building my PC (I literally have all of my other parts ready to go in my basement), and I've really been wanting to build my new PC before Thanksgiving, though if I have to, I can wait until Christmas. Any advice?

Thanks all,

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Hahahahaha I love this! If I were you id set myself a deadline, and if prices start falling - weeeee. If not, it looks like you would have to bite the bullet anywho.

I'M GOING TO LET YOU IN ON A LITTLE SECRET (WINK WINK) - all but the 3200mhz kit are likely Samsung B-die and fundamentally the same.  Pick whatever option is cheapest and roll with it, they will all be capable of achieving similar speeds 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3600MHz is the cheapest so just go for that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

28 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I'M GOING TO LET YOU IN ON A LITTLE SECRET (WINK WINK) - all but the 3200mhz kit are likely Samsung B-die and fundamentally the same.  Pick whatever option is cheapest and roll with it, they will all be capable of achieving similar speeds 

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

3600MHz is the cheapest so just go for that

Fair enough, thanks for the replies!

37 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would wait until Black Friday and then get the Dom Plats or what @NihalW suggested

Hmm, I might just do that, though I suppose that theres no guarantee that the Dominator Platinums will drop in price by a substantial amount (or any amount for that matter). Thanks for the reply! 

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

@KSP not a bad idea but if the price is acceptable the 3600's are a good balance of CAS latency and clock speeds, any  higher and you'll see a degredation in performance due to the CAS 19 or so required

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 hours ago, Damascus said:

@KSP not a bad idea but if the price is acceptable the 3600's are a good balance of CAS latency and clock speeds, any  higher and you'll see a degredation in performance due to the CAS 19 or so required

Yeah, you are right. I ended up pulling the trigger on the 3600MHz ram yesterday night from Amazon for $462.22. May not be the best deal of my life, but oh well :/.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler