Tongue movement during swallow

Fahim Foysal

I know this sounds very weird but I am confused on how to swallow saliva properly. So basically I was researching on how proper swallow, mouth breathing and tongue posture affects facial structure as I have been a mouth breather all my life and have tongue thrust. While practising the 'proper way'  to swallow I got very confused. So my question is what steps do you take during swallow and how does your tongue move. Do you have a sucking motion during swallow?

So far what I understand is you suck the saliva to bring it on top of the tongue. Then you swallow it whilst moving the front part of the tongue upwards. It would be very helpful if someone described the process. Please do mention whether you are a mouth breather or nose breather.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Happy Tongue Awareness Day everyone

True that. Can you ples help by sharing the process by which you swallow.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

it only moves when there's something to move (saliva, small amounts of bits or liquids, etc). There's this trapdoor near the throat (I'm assuming the base of the tongue) that opens and closes when I swallow.

I feel like I'd be weirding out lots of people when they see this comment, lol

I am talking about how the front and middle of the tongue moves during swallow. I know it moves but the question is how does it move. Up, down left, right. Does it touch the roof of the mouth etc.

2 hours ago, Fahim Foysal said:

I know this sounds very weird but I am confused on how to swallow saliva properly. So basically I was researching on how proper swallow, mouth breathing and tongue posture affects facial structure as I have been a mouth breather all my life and have tongue thrust. While practising the 'proper way'  to swallow I got very confused. So my question is what steps do you take during swallow and how does your tongue move. Do you have a sucking motion during swallow?

So far what I understand is you suck the saliva to bring it on top of the tongue. Then you swallow it whilst moving the front part of the tongue upwards. It would be very helpful if someone described the process. Please do mention whether you are a mouth breather or nose breather.

Gotta say this is one of the most interesting posts i have seen here :D 

I'm a nose breather (finally) Used to breathe through my mouth because my nose was broken when i was little. Something got messed up in there but seems like i grew out of it.

The way i swallow is:

First i push the tip of my tongue to the top row of my teeth and then i push everything else to the roof of my mouth  starting from the tip of my tongue down to my throat.

Not the best with English to be honest but the best way to describe it is kinda like a wave motion with my tongue then i don't know what happens honestly.

From there on it's just muscle memory xD

Ps.: Also what does Tongue thrust stand for? Sounds dirty to be honest 9_9

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

On 11/4/2017 at 11:28 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Gotta say this is one of the most interesting posts i have seen here :D 

I'm a nose breather (finally) Used to breathe through my mouth because my nose was broken when i was little. Something got messed up in there but seems like i grew out of it.

The way i swallow is:

First i push the tip of my tongue to the top row of my teeth and then i push everything else to the roof of my mouth  starting from the tip of my tongue down to my throat.

Not the best with English to be honest but the best way to describe it is kinda like a wave motion with my tongue then i don't know what happens honestly.

From there on it's just muscle memory xD

Ps.: Also what does Tongue thrust stand for? Sounds dirty to be honest 9_9

This honestly helped out a lot. I honestly can't thank you enough. It was bothering me a lot. And it's great that you breathe through the nose now. Mouth breathing a lot of health consequences. Tongue thrust is basically a habitual disorder where instead of the tongue moving upward during swallow , it only moves forwards. In order to compensate for the lack of seal created between the tongue and roof of mouth (this seal helps full the saliva inwards) facial muscles have to pulled inwards to create the seal, which results in sunken face and protruded teeth. The cause for tongue thrust includes bottle feeding, thumb sucking, not breastfeeding etc as a kid. I have tongue thrust and I was bottle fed for a long time. 

If you don't mind then I would like to ask two more question. I know they sound weird but they are really important to me. Every bit of detail helps.

1) Does the tongue stays in contact  front row of teeth throughout the swallow process? where does the tongue go after you are done swallowing.

2) does the whole  tongue press against the roof of the mouth at once , or is it one portion after another (first tip, then middle then back)

Tongue thrust is basically a habitual disorder where instead of the tongue moving upward during swallow , it only moves forwards. In order to compensate for the lack of seal created between the tongue and roof of mouth (this seal helps full the saliva inwards) facial muscles have to pulled inwards to create the seal, which results in sunken face and protruded teeth.

That must have been rough as a kid even as an adult it would be pretty bad for me because i'm socially awkward and that would only add even more anxiety.

1) Does the tongue stays in contact  front row of teeth throughout the swallow process? where does the tongue go after you are done swallowing.

The tip does stays in contact but usually everything else relaxes after swallowing.

Though the normal thing would be to just relax your jaw and tongue but i tend to grind my teeth especially when i'm listening to harder music

so i just leave the tip of my tongue pushed against my front teeth.

2) does the whole  tongue press against the roof of the mouth at once , or is it one portion after another (first tip, then middle then back)

I think it pushes up at once and then my throat gets everything down. Think the best way to describe it is you send like a wave motion down your throat but there probably are some biology videos you can study about throat muscle movement during swallow. :) 

16 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

That must have been rough as a kid even as an adult it would be pretty bad for me because i'm socially awkward and that would only add even more anxiety.

What can I say. Life has been pretty tough for me too. Life was great as a kid but since the past few years I have anxiety and inferiority complex. 

And thanks a lot for helping out. It helped me out much more than you would think. Honestly means a lot. 

:o Ummmm, O K this just happened . . . we finally got a tongue in cheek post.

:ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

56 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

:o Ummmm, O K this just happened . . . we finally got a tongue in cheek post.

:ph34r:

I thought the thread would contain something else based on the title :P.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I thought the thread would contain something else based on the title :P.

Tsk, tsk ... lets keep the forum clean please ... lol

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Fahim Foysal said:

What can I say. Life has been pretty tough for me too. Life was great as a kid but since the past few years I have anxiety and inferiority complex. 

Life as a kid was pretty good for me too luckily.

I got anxiety after i dropped out of school and pretty much shut myself in for 4-5 years doing nothing but being an idiot.

Had a pretty rough decision to make and luckily i choose the right one and picked myself up and got a job.

Although it's incredibly hard to be around others but i got to the point where i can have some conversations but enough about me.

And thanks a lot for helping out. It helped me out much more than you would think. Honestly means a lot. 

No problem :) Good luck!

Something something your tongue is heavy in your mouth

Something something you are now manually breathing

Something something you can't take a full deep breath

You're welcome.

3 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Something something your tongue is heavy in your mouth

Something something you are now manually breathing

Something something you can't take a full deep breath

You're welcome.

Only the second one worked :P Though i do that most of the time.