M.2 NVME Exclosure help

Pittman90

I need to back up data from my NVME M.2 drive from my Blade and I can't find an enclosure that supports it. I bought one but it is only a B key config and I need the M key, if you know of any M key style external enclosures that would be very helpful as i need it asap. Thanks!

as far as i know and i searched the crap out of it no one makes an external nvme enclosure i ended up just buying one that was for sata m.2 

Why can't you just plug an external drive into your USB port and then back up the SSD...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't know about external enclosures for M.2 drives but if all you need to do is back up data that's on it then you can buy PCI_e daughter boards that you install the drive on then install in a PCI_e slot.

They don't make them.  I'm fairly certain that it would only work on a Thunderbolt connection anyway.  The NVMe protocol runs on a PCIe interface (as opposed to AHCI, which runs on a SATA interface).

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

14 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

I need to back up data from my NVME M.2 drive from my Blade and I can't find an enclosure that supports it. I bought one but it is only a B key config and I need the M key, if you know of any M key style external enclosures that would be very helpful as i need it asap. Thanks!

If you have a desktop,this is your best bet https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z5-0018-00020&cm_re=m.2_adapter-_-1Z5-0018-00020-_-Product
Remove the m.2 drive from laptop,plug it into the adapter,then plug it into the mobo and back up the data.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They don't make them.  I'm fairly certain that it would only work on a Thunderbolt connection anyway.  The NVMe protocol runs on a PCIe interface (as opposed to AHCI, which runs on a SATA interface).

I had a feeling this was the reason that sucks then. Not sure how im supposed to back this stuff up then rip 

2 minutes ago, Praveen GV said:

If you have a desktop,this is your best bet https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z5-0018-00020&cm_re=m.2_adapter-_-1Z5-0018-00020-_-Product
Remove the m.2 drive from laptop,plug it into the adapter,then plug it into the mobo and back up the data.

Yeah I dont have my desktop anymore :/

15 minutes ago, Wonders3004 said:

as far as i know and i searched the crap out of it no one makes an external nvme enclosure i ended up just buying one that was for sata m.2 

yeah except it doesnt fit, Sata uses the B key style and NVME uses the M key style

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why can't you just plug an external drive into your USB port and then back up the SSD...?

my laptop doesnt power on and I need to send it into Razer but they said back it up first 

2 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

I had a feeling this was the reason that sucks then. Not sure how im supposed to back this stuff up then rip 

Yeah I dont have my desktop anymore :/

Create a bootable USB drive, then copy everything over.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Edit: Never mind, just saw your new post.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Pittman90 said:

my laptop doesnt power on and I need to send it into Razer but they said back it up first 

Did you do the basic troubleshooting steps or check if ram is the problem?

10 hours ago, Pittman90 said:

Then you will need another laptop or PC that has an M.2 slot.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020