Why does RAM speed go so high if CPU's don't support it?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
1 minute ago, C0nn0r said:

Okay, i don't fully understand changing things in the bios, how do xmp profiles work

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but from what I'm seeing while looking at cpu's they only support relatively low ram speeds. (I7 7700k-ddr4 2133, i9 7980xe- 2666)

So why do ram speeds go up to over 4000?

I just stupidly bought 3866 dominator platinum only to realise my i7 6700k only runs 2133 

What motherboard do you have? Ram max speed is determined more by the motherboard than CPU. Yes, the memory controller is in the CPU and that has some bearing, but typically you can run faster ram as long as your motherboard allows you to set options above the standard.

Okay, i don't fully understand changing things in the bios, how do xmp profiles work

1 minute ago, C0nn0r said:

1 minute ago, Mcthunda820 said:

What motherboard do you have? Ram max speed is determined more by the motherboard than CPU. Yes, the memory controller is in the CPU and that has some bearing, but typically you can run faster ram as long as your motherboard allows you to set options above the standard.

My motherboard runs over 4000 which is why I got the ram, I didn't know cpu had limitations.

It's an Asus ROG maximus 4 hero

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thank you

Just now, C0nn0r said:

Thank you

Nav

6 minutes ago, C0nn0r said:

My motherboard runs over 4000 which is why I got the ram, I didn't know cpu had limitations.

It's an Asus ROG maximus 4 hero

Intel only validates their CPUs to the rating your talking about. That doesn't mean your cpu wont do higher speeds. Your motherboard's chipset supports XPM profiles. Here is how you turn it on to get your ram running at the higher speed: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39185-Memory-Setup-Guide-For-Maximus-VI-Motherboards

6 minutes ago, Mcthunda820 said:

Nav

Intel only validates their CPUs to the rating your talking about. That doesn't mean your cpu wont do higher speeds. Your motherboard's chipset supports XPM profiles. Here is how you turn it on to get your ram running at the higher speed: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39185-Memory-Setup-Guide-For-Maximus-VI-Motherboards

I've just done it but thank you. Nice to know I didn't just wast £250