Convert Linked Mailbox to User Mailbox Exchange 2016

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

I'd personally avoid this headache. Create a new user mailbox, migrate all e-mail and add the former address as aliases so the mail flow redirects to the new mailbox.

Others might have some different insight to share, though.

Hi,

Having trouble converting a linked mailbox to a user mailbox with exchange 2016, I have explored this option : Is it on Exchange 2010 ?!

You can use the Set-User commandlet like this example : 

Set-User -Identity kweku@fabrikam.com -LinkedMasterAccount $null

However this doesnt work on exchange 2016. 

i have also explored the ADSI edit option : 

However you still can edit the user attributes with ADSIEdit directly:
delete the msExchMasterAccountSid
set msExchRecipientTypeDetails=1
enable the user accoun

but i wouldnt be sure where to go to change this within ADSI Edit. 

Can anyone help  ?

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

I'd personally avoid this headache. Create a new user mailbox, migrate all e-mail and add the former address as aliases so the mail flow redirects to the new mailbox.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

21 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Sounds like a much easier plan to me with the added bonus of being lower risk of breaking the original.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sounds like a much easier plan to me with the added bonus of being lower risk of breaking the original.

It's getting to the point where i might have to start a church of @leadeater, to the rescue again man 3 times in 2 weeks ?

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

23 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Also thank you, we are now doing this :)  @NelizMastr to the rescue also ! :) 

Chicken Nuggets

6 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

It's getting to the point where i might have to start a church of @leadeater, to the rescue again man 3 times in 2 weeks ?

Well all credit should go to @NelizMastr on this one :).

Also my church has taxes, membership isn't free :P.