Buttons on newer and higher end Harmony remotes?

Kawaii Koneko

So I've been using the Logitech Harmony series of remotes for probably a decade now. I've had the 350, 600, and 650 and they all seem to have one fatal flaw, the buttons wear out over time. Of the five or so that I've had, every one has had the buttons eventually wear out. They would either stop working completely or require pressing extremely hard to get them to register.

I'm considering buying the Ultimate One but I'm concerned about the buttons. Are they the squishy kind like on the lower end remotes or do they have a nice tactile click? Are the buttons more reliable on the higher end Harmony remotes? Does anyone have any experience with the Ultimate One when it comes to reliability?

I see one of the bigger complaints with the remote is that the buttons are actually too sensitive. 

This is the remote in question: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000224-Harmony-Ultimate-One/dp/B00IAKLM54/ref=sr_1_6?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1508892810&sr=1-6&keywords=harmony+remote

11 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

So I've been using the Logitech Harmony series of remotes for probably a decade now. I've had the 350, 600, and 650 and they all seem to have one fatal flaw, the buttons wear out over time. Of the five or so that I've had, every one has had the buttons eventually wear out. They would either stop working completely or require pressing extremely hard to get them to register.

I'm considering buying the Ultimate One but I'm concerned about the buttons. Are they the squishy kind like on the lower end remotes or do they have a nice tactile click? Are the buttons more reliable on the higher end Harmony remotes? Does anyone have any experience with the Ultimate One when it comes to reliability?

I see one of the bigger complaints with the remote is that the buttons are actually too sensitive. 

This is the remote in question: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000224-Harmony-Ultimate-One/dp/B00IAKLM54/ref=sr_1_6?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1508892810&sr=1-6&keywords=harmony+remote

I have the one after coming from the 650. Mine is about a year old now and still works like a charm. Mostly due to the fact that the touchscreen reigns supreme and buttons get barely used.

The buttons on the Ultimate one are not squishy like my 950 was (they are of solid plastic pieces) but they still use the same mush underneath so don't expect any clicks. Not one button has died (yet). But don't expect those buttons to be much different from the other ones. 

6 minutes ago, mathizel said:

I have the one after coming from the 650. Mine is about a year old now and still works like a charm. Mostly due to the fact that the touchscreen reigns supreme and buttons get barely used.

The buttons on the Ultimate one are not squishy like my 950 was (they are of solid plastic pieces) but they still use the same mush underneath so don't expect any clicks. Not one button has died (yet). But don't expect those buttons to be much different from the other ones. 

Which one do you have exactly? The one after the 650 is the 665 which isn't touchscreen and after that is the 950 you had.

Honestly, one of the main reasons I was willing to spend so much more this time was for better button reliability. I'm not sure if a touchscreen is really that important for a remote. So if I'm not getting better buttons, I might just go with the 665. I don't want to drop so much money on a remote if it is going to break anyway. But if the touchscreen helps prevent button wear, maybe it is worth it. Idk.

Well Like I said. I had the Harmony 650 first. I replaced it with the Harmony Ultimate One. So the Ultimate One is what I am currently using. I just picked it up. It's actually more clicky then the 650 and less mushy. Never noticed really. And yes. I really feel the ultimate One's touchscreen makes it withstand time a lot better. I don't regret purchasing it.  

30 minutes ago, mathizel said:

Well Like I said. I had the Harmony 650 first. I replaced it with the Harmony Ultimate One. So the Ultimate One is what I am currently using. I just picked it up. It's actually more clicky then the 650 and less mushy. Never noticed really. And yes. I really feel the ultimate One's touchscreen makes it withstand time a lot better. I don't regret purchasing it.  

Haha, I just realized I incorrectly read what you wrote. I thought you meant the one as in the model after, not the One as in the name of the remote. My brain is foggy today lol.

I just noticed that for $17 more, I can get a refurbished One that comes with the smartbase (or whatever it is called). Since I misplace my remotes all the time, that might be a useful thing to have. I use an HTC M9 and it has an IR blaster built in so I can already use it as a remote (that has already saved me on countless occasions lol) but I wouldn't have to worry about line of sight if I had the base.

Hmmm.