Is this computer worth getting?

TheAvPman
Go to solution Solved by TheAvPman,
5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

yes, what he's saying is with his build you wouldn't need to worry about it. Also, I suggested a Ryzen based build, but the 8000 series from Intel is also very good just has terrible stock right now (and likely for the near future). If you're willing to play the waiting game then an Intel system might be the way to go, but if you want the computer in the near future, and if you're against overclocking, Ryzen is likely the way to go for now.

Intel was actually better than risen on the scoreboard. That is why I chose Intel. Ryzen wins as workstation but I am not using it as a workstation anyways.

C1F1D105-1D6E-484E-A91C-45ED770E5D34.png

1 minute ago, Moress said:

If you're dead set against overclocking your CPU you could easily go with this build once the rest of the Coffeelake line releases. It would put a stock 7700k to shame in gaming. Also don't worry about overclocking a GPU, GPU Boost 3.0 does this by itself these days

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($58.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($156.34 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.69 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($514.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1530.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-31 22:15 EDT-0400

I was actually against over clocking. On the other hand I might be open to considering it in the future.

Just now, Moress said:

MSI ryzen boards are bad

Common misconception.

Just now, TheAvPman said:

I was actually against over clocking 

yes, what he's saying is with his build you wouldn't need to worry about it. Also, I suggested a Ryzen based build, but the 8000 series from Intel is also very good just has terrible stock right now (and likely for the near future). If you're willing to play the waiting game then an Intel system might be the way to go, but if you want the computer in the near future, and if you're against overclocking, Ryzen is likely the way to go for now.

So wait do I only need one cpu cooler?

Unless you plan on having more than 1 CPU lol. How would you plan to mount more than 1 cooler to your CPU?

Just now, Zyndo said:

Unless you plan on having more than 1 CPU lol. How would you plan to mount more than 1 cooler to your CPU?

Sorry cooling was the one thing I did not study enough as you can probably tell

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Intel was actually better than risen on the scoreboard. That is why I chose Intel. Ryzen wins as workstation but I am not using it as a workstation anyways.

C1F1D105-1D6E-484E-A91C-45ED770E5D34.png

8 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Not cpu fans I meant case fans.

4 minutes ago, TheAvPman said:

Snip

well yes. Intel is faster, but will require you to overclock it to really see that "faster-ness" (is that even a word?) in action. If you're not going to overclock, the difference disappears. Also, in most titles you will be so GPU limited, or already so far past the 60hz threshold of your monitor that your choice in CPU is going to be largely irrelevant for gaming. Then there are other factors to consider when comparing a 7700k to something like a R5 1600 or R7 1700: Core count. Core count will be extremely beneficial in non-gaming things, or in doing simultaneous things whilst gaming (such as streaming or live video capture). Since we've already established that you're not overclocking, you're going to lose a lot of the single core advantage Intel has right out of the gate.... then you factor in that this kind of performance usually will not be leveraged by your system based on your specs, price range, and intended use..... you start to realize you're just going to be paying for something you're not going to be able to use.... therefore you should likely be building ryzen (or waiting for the 8000 series to get in stock)

1 minute ago, TheAvPman said:

Not cpu fans I meant case fans.

Case fans can be discussed after the build is finalized, but usually you will get enough case fans with the purchase of your case for a normal system's needs. 

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

well yes. Intel is faster, but will require you to overclock it to really see that "faster-ness" (is that even a word?) in action. If you're not going to overclock, the difference disappears. Also, in most titles you will be so GPU limited, or already so far past the 60hz threshold of your monitor that your choice in CPU is going to be largely irrelevant for gaming. Then there are other factors to consider when comparing a 7700k to something like a R5 1600 or R7 1700: Core count. Core count will be extremely beneficial in non-gaming things, or in doing simultaneous things whilst gaming (such as streaming or live video capture). Since we've already established that you're not overclocking, you're going to lose a lot of the single core advantage Intel has right out of the gate.... then you factor in that this kind of performance usually will not be leveraged by your system based on your specs, price range, and intended use..... you start to realize you're just going to be paying for something you're not going to be able to use.... therefore you should likely be building ryzen (or waiting for the 8000 series to get in stock)

Yeah but intel is also cheaper 

320-400$

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Case fans can be discussed after the build is finalized, but usually you will get enough case fans with the purchase of your case for a normal system's needs. 

Oh they come with your case. Nevermind then

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I don’t think I am going to stream live

Yeah but intel is also cheaper 

320-400$

I'm not telling you to get an 1800x lol. that CPU is a waste of money IMO. you should be looking at the 1600 or 1600x if you don't want to overclock... or the 1700 if you want extra cores for better production tasks or simultaneous workloads. When you look at those CPU's Ryzen is significantly cheaper in most instances, especially since you don't need such an expensive cooler like the way you would on a 6700k/7700k

I don’t think I am going to stream live

That's fine. that was just an example of what you COULD do. you said you're going to have a YT channel yes? However you intend to edit/export your videos, that is a workload made much easier/faster with more cores available.

Just now, Zyndo said:

That's fine. that was just an example of what you COULD do. you said you're going to have a YT channel yes? However you intend to edit/export your videos, that is a workload made much easier/faster with more cores available.

Will I be able to run almost any game with the 1600x and gtx 1080 and 16gigs of ram

Will I be able to run almost any game with the 1600x and gtx 1080 and 16gigs of ram

depends on the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.... but assuming a 1080p 60hz monitor it would be a laughably overkill setup for a few years yet.

Just now, Zyndo said:

depends on the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.... but assuming a 1080p 60hz monitor it would be a laughably overkill setup for a few years yet.

Great!

2 minutes ago, TheAvPman said:

Any specific motherboard great for that system

which is "that" system? the Ryzen sytem? the one I suggested has a good plethora of features for its price as well as decent aesthetics. If you do not like the look of it or something sets you off about it or you prefer something of a different colour then by all means let me know, nothing is set in stone. there are often dozens of different good, valid components for each area so if you want something different looking it should be pretty easy to find it for you. I just went with white case black/red interior since the two builds you linked have had that similar look to them.

1 minute ago, TheAvPman said:

Ok I updated my page And I have saved 200$ thanks for the help.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BT6rd6

is this better

kind of..... better than your original offerings at least. You should use at least the PSU I recommended and the RAM I recommended. they're better and pretty much the same price. If you don't like the look of the RAM maybe we can find something else to your liking. Also the X370 you suggested isn't really any better than the B350 I recommended (unless you start overclocking, which you do not seem willing to do) so its extra money you could save by staying with the B350 Tomahawk if you wish. The case also needn't be set in stone if you would prefer something different. And you REALLY do not need a liquid cooler for a build like this. You're easily spending $40-$50 more than you need to in this area. and if you're set on getting an AIO water cooler, the bigger the better (both aesthetically and performance wise). So if the S340 is the case you're set on using, I recommend getting a 280mm AIO like the H110i/H115i from corsair, or the NZXT X61/X62. You may also consider looking into the S340 Elite (basically the same but with a few small changes and tempered glass side panel rather than acrylic). You also expressed interest in the Inwin 303 case so we could make that work if you wish as well (note, this case does not come with any fans, so additional fans may need to be purchased).

7 hours ago, Zyndo said:

kind of..... better than your original offerings at least. You should use at least the PSU I recommended and the RAM I recommended. they're better and pretty much the same price. If you don't like the look of the RAM maybe we can find something else to your liking. Also the X370 you suggested isn't really any better than the B350 I recommended (unless you start overclocking, which you do not seem willing to do) so its extra money you could save by staying with the B350 Tomahawk if you wish. The case also needn't be set in stone if you would prefer something different. And you REALLY do not need a liquid cooler for a build like this. You're easily spending $40-$50 more than you need to in this area. and if you're set on getting an AIO water cooler, the bigger the better (both aesthetically and performance wise). So if the S340 is the case you're set on using, I recommend getting a 280mm AIO like the H110i/H115i from corsair, or the NZXT X61/X62. You may also consider looking into the S340 Elite (basically the same but with a few small changes and tempered glass side panel rather than acrylic). You also expressed interest in the Inwin 303 case so we could make that work if you wish as well (note, this case does not come with any fans, so additional fans may need to be purchased).

I adjusted as you said the new link is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rGgB2R.

I think that looks a lot better. Any last changes I need to make?

4 hours ago, TheAvPman said:

I adjusted as you said the new link is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rGgB2R.

I think that looks a lot better. Any last changes I need to make?

You don't seem to be listening to my advice anyway so just do whatever you want. gl