Is this computer worth getting?

TheAvPman
Go to solution Solved by TheAvPman,
5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

yes, what he's saying is with his build you wouldn't need to worry about it. Also, I suggested a Ryzen based build, but the 8000 series from Intel is also very good just has terrible stock right now (and likely for the near future). If you're willing to play the waiting game then an Intel system might be the way to go, but if you want the computer in the near future, and if you're against overclocking, Ryzen is likely the way to go for now.

Intel was actually better than risen on the scoreboard. That is why I chose Intel. Ryzen wins as workstation but I am not using it as a workstation anyways.

C1F1D105-1D6E-484E-A91C-45ED770E5D34.png

Looking at PcPP and for a build of simliar quality would only be about $50 cheaper if you include the OS. My main worries about that system would be what PSU is in it, as well as if that AIO is 120mm or 240mm, as a 120 won't go far if you want to Overclock the 7700k

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

3 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Cool, is he gonna put it in a shoebox then?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, TheAvPman said:

Is there a specific size I would have to find? Would I have to measure my case?

If you're buying a new case, it will likely list its radiator compatibility somewhere in its specsheet. You then find any AIO with a radiator matching its available size. The 3 most common sizes are 240mm, 280mm, and 360mm. They also make 120/140mm AIO's, but those aren't a good idea to invest in. they don't provide enough cooling to be useful and are usually more expensive than their better air cooled counterparts.

3 minutes ago, TheAvPman said:

I actually made a list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

dont use the top link, click on the permalink to link to your build

I actually made a list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

use the permalink (top left corner of your list, below the URL).... the link you provided us just takes us to the website, it doesn't show us your list.

1 minute ago, Moress said:

Cool, is he gonna put it in a shoebox then?

there's like $300 between that and the one he originally posted to buy practically any premade case, don't be a moron

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Moress said:

dont use the top link, click on the permalink to link to your build

Edited it

4 minutes ago, TheAvPman said:

Edited it

Yeah looks fine to me, don't forget your OS as long as you want a legit copy of it (~$100 for a copy)

Just now, Moress said:

Yeah looks fine to me, don't forget your OS as long as you want a legit copy of it (~$100 for a copy)

The cool thing about that. I did this thing called cyber patriots which is about defending against hackers and it gives me Microsoft imagine and a free copy of Windows 10. 

1 minute ago, TheAvPman said:

Edited it

it has some outdated hardware (6700k instead of 7700k, H110i GTX instead of H115i, Z170 isntead of Z270) but otherwise is a pretty good build and those are some minior gripes really. Its not like changing those things one way or another is going to make or break your build. But it looks like you did your research. everything there is compatible and would work well together.

1 minute ago, TheAvPman said:

I just need a liquid cooling system

Nobody "needs" liquid cooling. A couple of questions here...

1. What monitor are you going to be pairing this system with? a 1080p 60hz panel would leave a system like this fairly under-utilized, meaning you could save a lot of money on the build without losing performance.

2. Are you planning on gaming and only gaming? are you doing any streaming? editing? rendering?

3. What games do you intend to play (or what kind of games), and what graphical settings do you want to play them at? You could save a lot of money by not requiring your system to max out every game. Merely playing on "high" settings is a lot more affordable.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

it has some outdated hardware (6700k instead of 7700k, H110i GTX instead of H115i, Z170 isntead of Z270) but otherwise is a pretty good build and those are some minior gripes really. Its not like changing those things one way or another is going to make or break your build. But it looks like you did your research. everything there is compatible and would work well together.

Nobody "needs" liquid cooling. A couple of questions here...

1. What monitor are you going to be pairing this system with? a 1080p 60hz panel would leave a system like this fairly under-utilized, meaning you could save a lot of money on the build without losing performance.

2. Are you planning on gaming and only gaming? are you doing any streaming? editing? rendering?

3. What games do you intend to play (or what kind of games), and what graphical settings do you want to play them at? You could save a lot of money by not requiring your system to max out every game. Merely playing on "high" settings is a lot more affordable.

Yeah 1080p I can’t really afford 4k right now. Yes I am planing on running ark which utilizes a lot of the system. I am getting a YouTube channel in December.

2 minutes ago, TheAvPman said:

Yeah 1080p I can’t really afford 4k right now. Yes I am planing on running ark which utilizes a lot of the system. I am getting a YouTube channel in December.

Oh right, one last thing. Do you intend on overclocking? and do you intend on overclocking as far as you can?

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Oh right, one last thing. Do you intend on overclocking? and do you intend on overclocking as far as you can?

No I am not over clocking. I mean isn’t a 500$ graphics card a lot to gamble.

No I am not over clocking. I mean isn’t a 500$ graphics card a lot to gamble

overclocking really isn't all that dangerous... and if you're not overclocking you definitely do not need any kind of liquid cooling. I mean if you want it anyway then you do you, but it won't be needed. any 10-series GPU will self overclock itself pretty well as is so there honestly usually isn't a ton of performance to be gained on that end...As far as your CPU goes, the thing you seem so intent on liquid cooling, if you're not going to overclock that then you're kinda just wasting money on your cooler by forcing yourself into the price range of a liquid cooler. 

The way it sounds, and from what you appear to want out of your system, You could save yourself a ton of money by modifying your build a bit

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

overclocking really isn't all that dangerous... and if you're not overclocking you definitely do not need any kind of liquid cooling. I mean if you want it anyway then you do you, but it won't be needed. any 10-series GPU will self overclock itself pretty well as is so there honestly usually isn't a ton of performance to be gained on that end...As far as your CPU goes, the thing you seem so intent on liquid cooling, if you're not going to overclock that then you're kinda just wasting money on your cooler by forcing yourself into the price range of a liquid cooler. 

The way it sounds, and from what you appear to want out of your system, You could save yourself a ton of money by modifying your build a bit

Modify it how?

i didn’t put liquid cooling in the build yet I was just asking if it was necessary

Just now, Zyndo said:

it has a woefully inadequate cpu cooler. a 120mm liquid cooling system is really not enough cooling for a stock 6700k/7700k

Oh ok I was just browsing amazon 

6 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Is my system at least going to need more than one fan though?

3 minutes ago, TheAvPman said:

Modify it how?

like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pLQ6kT

If you're willing to do some modest overclocking, you could easily shave another $50 off the cost of that system. You could also step up to an 8 core CPU for video editing/streaming assistance for another $50-ish on top of the current build. It requires you to wait for the 1070ti launch, but you could always just get a 1070 or 1080 instead depending on how much performance you think you want.

8 core build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YpcbBP

cheaper 6 core if you want to overclock (or if you just want to save money): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ycXyjc

If you're dead set against overclocking your CPU you could easily go with this build once the rest of the Coffeelake line releases. It would put a stock 7700k to shame in gaming. Also don't worry about overclocking a GPU, GPU Boost 3.0 does this by itself these days

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($58.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($156.34 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.69 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($514.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1530.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-31 22:15 EDT-0400

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pLQ6kT

If you're willing to do some modest overclocking, you could easily shave another $50 off the cost of that system. You could also step up to an 8 core CPU for video editing/streaming assistance for another $50-ish on top of the current build. It requires you to wait for the 1070ti launch, but you could always just get a 1070 or 1080 instead depending on how much performance you think you want.

8 core build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YpcbBP

cheaper 6 core if you want to overclock (or if you just want to save money): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ycXyjc

MSI ryzen boards are bad