Choosing a cpu and gpu for 1400

Cameron K

Hello all I'm hoping to order parts for a new system on black friday/cyber monday next month but am having a really hard time picking a CPU. My budget is 1500 and I already have drives and a 1440p 70hz monitor. I'd like a secondary monitor/tv/projector for streaming on so lets say I have 1400 for the pc itself and I may move to a 1440p ultrawide in the future. What cpu and gpu makes the most sense if I plan to multitask (a lot), edit (a little), CAD (some), and game (a lot)? I've been thinking 1700 and a 1080 or would a 8700k and 1070ti make more sense or could I just go with a 1600x? Here are a few parts lists I have as ideas. I also saw vega dropped in price and a freesync ultrawide looks really appealing so that may be an option. Thanks in advance!

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.78 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($554.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3466 (PC4 27700) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3466C16D-16GTZKW  ($186.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1406.59

or

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($399.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($189.95 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC2 Gaming iCX Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1437.87

I'd go with a 8core processor if you multitask a lot. But it depends on the games you play, the speed of the processor is for some games not as important. 

Tough choice because of the GPU. If you plan on planning very CPU intensive games like Arma 3, then it might be better to go with team blue, however considering you are going above 1080p the red team also sounds very appealing because of the GPU.

17 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Ryzen 7 is pretty damned good for the money

Odd RAM choice, if you want the most compatible RAM get B-die, which is 3200mhz CL14 Trident Z from G.Skill anyways

The taichi is overkill unless you're trying to take your chip to it's absolute limit, dunno worth it if you don't care about the price increase.

Saved a bit overall, Vega 56 because Pixio is about to come out with their refreshed $399 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync display

https://pixiogaming.com/collections/monitors/products/new-px277

This is the last generation one

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMzyjc
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMzyjc/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.78 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($156.34 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card  ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1255.96

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

28 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Odd RAM choice, if you want the most compatible RAM get B-die, which is 3200mhz CL14 Trident Z from G.Skill anyways

The taichi is overkill unless you're trying to take your chip to it's absolute limit, dunno worth it if you don't care about the price increase.

Could be wrong but from what I read the 3466 kits are also b-die and that black and white trident z fit my athestetic. My choice in mobo will prolly vary based on sale prices but I intend to keep this for awhile and always seem to have my mobo die first in previous builds

5 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Could be wrong but from what I read the 3466 kits are also b-die and that black and white trident z fit my athestetic. My choice in mobo will prolly vary based on sale prices but I intend to keep this for awhile and always seem to have my mobo die first in previous builds

Have no idea, got a link to the RAM? Just seems cheap for that speed if it is B-die

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Cameron K said:

Likely fine then

Spoiler