ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, would the Noctua NH-D15 block the PCIE?

LifeLifeLP
Go to solution Solved by Ordinarily_Greater,

if the fan does block the pcie slot well there will no decrease in performance if you put the card in the other slot

Hello,

(sorry for my kinda shity english)

So in the moment i'm in the middle of getting the parts for my new build, so far so go, the only part that is missing is a CPU cooler, i read the Noctua NH-D15 is the best you can get with air but its very large. So i hope that sombody of you could help me find out if in combi with that cooler in the vertical position (so the air goes out the back) would block the first PCIE 1X Slot.

If not, if i use one of the lower PCIE 1X Slots would that impact performace of other parts or not? I did not find anyting (for me understandable) in the manual of the Board.

Build:

Case: Fractal Desin R4

PSU: BeQuiet Power 10 600W

CPU: Intel I7 8700K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (i hope)

MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080TI (Zotac or MSI)

Other Stuff: ELGATO Game Capture HD60 Pro (for the 1X Slot)

Thanks in advance

Life

if the fan does block the pcie slot well there will no decrease in performance if you put the card in the other slot

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

So its not like with the GPU Slots where the lower one its only at half speed of if lower slot gets used some other stuff gets disabled like some sata ports when you plug in a M.2 SSD?

Also thanks for the quick response :D

1 minute ago, LifeLifeLP said:

So its not like with the GPU Slots where the lower one its only at half speed of if lower slot gets used some other stuff gets disabled like some sata ports when you plug in a M.2 SSD?

Also thanks for the quick response :D

No dude! you are totally fine in the second PCIe slot, except if you want to make dual card configuration you might want to change the cooler to something more compact in the future

and you are welcome, ask me anytime

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

It doesn't block the top slot.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.