FPS Issue

mbryant

Hey guys, I just bought an Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 1050Ti and an i7 7700 HQ. I've tried running Borderlands 2, The Stanley Parable, and Chivalry and all of them give me 30FPS. V-Sync IS on just as it is on my desktop. In BL2 I uncapped the frame rate but the steam FPS counter says 30fps in all 3 games. Thoughts?

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

check the nvedia driver platform (experience or something) ; by default, it caps your performance to 30 fps (for battery) and you manually fix that, its the stupidest thing but its not hard once you realize whats causing it

Just now, Majestic said:

Sounds like a battery save mode is enabled. Check the manual.

its not, its a nvedia battery saving setting, by default, it caps you at 30 fps for better battery life, i had the same issue he did

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I think that's the first thing I did when I got it image.thumb.png.97fe484577dbb6128f053dfe874af7f3.png

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

check the nvedia driver platform (experience or something) ; by default, it caps your performance to 30 fps (for battery) and you manually fix that, its the stupidest thing but its not hard once you realize whats causing it

That sounds so obvious, I feel dumb lol. I assumed they'd be recent >.> 

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

5 minutes ago, General Winter said:

its not, its a nvedia battery saving setting, by default, it caps you at 30 fps for better battery life, i had the same issue he did

herc-carver-huh-the-wire.gif

Just now, mbryant said:

That sounds so obvious, I feel dumb lol. I assumed they'd be recent >.> 

it is and t isn't, they don't tell you about it, its just there by default and you have to figure out how to undo it

i wouldn't have a problem with the feature it  was something to enable/turn on and not on by default, it ruins your first experience with the machine, but for me, it helped me switch to a better laptop (thats a long story, but i disliked the laptop i got and returned it and got a deal on a 1070 laptop instead of the laptop that has about the same specs as yours)

Just now, General Winter said:

it is and t isn't, they don't tell you about it, its just there by default and you have to figure out how to undo it

i wouldn't have a problem with the feature it  was something to enable/turn on and not on by default, it ruins your first experience with the machine, but for me, it helped me switch to a better laptop (thats a long story, but i disliked the laptop i got and returned it and got a deal on a 1070 laptop instead of the laptop that has about the same specs as yours)

Yeah I was going to go with a 1070 model from Microcenter (It was a power spec or something like that) but it was 1400 and I had to buy whatever I was getting that day on credit so had to stay at around 1k. Plus I HAD to get it because I was editing a project this week that's due next week and needed to work on the go. I primarily got it for editing 

Just now, Majestic said:

herc-carver-huh-the-wire.gif

its two explictly different things

there is system battery saving and then their is literally a "battery saving" setting  in nvedia experince or whatever that forces your fps to 30 or 60; its something to disable manually in that specific software

but sure insult me with a crappy gif for not being able to tell the difference between the 2

Just now, mbryant said:

Yeah I was going to go with a 1070 model from Microcenter (It was a power spec or something like that) but it was 1400 and I had to buy whatever I was getting that day on credit so had to stay at around 1k. Plus I HAD to get it because I was editing a project this week that's due next week and needed to work on the go. I primarily got it for editing 

yeah, my 1070 msi was also around 1400

if possible, you could wipe the thing and get a refund on it so you can buy the 1070 laptop if the return policy lets you

4 minutes ago, General Winter said:

there is system battery saving and then their is literally a "battery saving" setting  in nvedia experince or whatever that forces your fps to 30 or 60; its something to disable manually in that specific software

but sure insult me with a crappy gif for not being able to tell the difference between the 2

Dude, did I mention which specific battery saver it was? And lots of vendors also implement their own "game modes". You're assuming it's Nvidia's (if you're going to insult someone by implying they're stupid, atleast learn to spell Nvidia correctly) battery saver, but it might aswell not be. I mocked you for this assumption, sue me.

Hence I told him to look at the manual, see if his OEM uses anything of the sorts. Then you can look at the Nvidia or system battery savers.

5 minutes ago, General Winter said:

yeah, my 1070 msi was also around 1400

if possible, you could wipe the thing and get a refund on it so you can buy the 1070 laptop if the return policy lets you

Also side note, the display seems to automatically dim on dark backgrounds, I've disabled screen brightness adjustment in Windows but I can't seem to make it stop. ALSO, GForce experience doesn't seem to allow me to disable battery saver 

5 minutes ago, mbryant said:

Also side note, the display seems to automatically dim on dark backgrounds, I've disabled screen brightness adjustment in Windows but I can't seem to make it stop. ALSO, GForce experience doesn't seem to allow me to disable battery saver 

you should be able to, i remember it was just a dumb slider that says 30 fps and you drag it to 60 or turn it off, you have to find it though

as for the dimming, there is a chance it could be a software from acer; i know a lot of these things straight up come with bloatware but i can't say i've ever had an acer laptop before, so you need to do some research, if you're still having issues i'll screen shot it (the slider i mentioned) on my laptop

On 10/28/2017 at 2:32 PM, General Winter said:

I ended up finding the "Battery saver" Geforce experience isn't exactly straight forward

On 11/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, mbryant said:

I ended up finding the "Battery saver" Geforce experience isn't exactly straight forward

yeah, its pretty shitty software and you HAVE TO make an account adds more trouble than needed for a simple update and optimaztion

but once its fixed you don't have to go back

On 11/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, General Winter said:

yeah, its pretty shitty software and you HAVE TO make an account adds more trouble than needed for a simple update and optimaztion

but once its fixed you don't have to go back

true true tho. Everything seems to be working well. I hate to say that the laptop seems more stable than my work station. 

14 hours ago, mbryant said:

true true tho. Everything seems to be working well. I hate to say that the laptop seems more stable than my work station. 

maybe you just have a much of bloatware or something of the sort on you're desktop that you forgot about; especially if you've had you're PC for years that's far from impossible

On 11/5/2017 at 12:53 PM, General Winter said:

maybe you just have a much of bloatware or something of the sort on you're desktop that you forgot about; especially if you've had you're PC for years that's far from impossible

I recently reinstalled windows on my desktop and all seems well except for 2 things. NZXT CAM stays in a "log in loop" when I log into Windows until I force close CAM and reopen it. 2nd and the main reason for reinstalling is Adobe Premiere. It still crashes while in use. I've not been able to thoroughly test it since reinstalling, but yesterday I was playing around with some LUT's (color grading profiles) on a 1080p timeline and just that, no other effects or anything and I went to adjust some values and adobe froze and crashed. I had this problem a few weeks ago where I'd be rendering or color grading and adobe would become unresponsive and eventually I'd need to close it through task manager. When it happened a few weeks ago I was at least able to save my work and reopen, that wasn't the case last night. I'd say it COULD be my work station BUT all of my other programs run fine without crashing. 

10 hours ago, mbryant said:

I recently reinstalled windows on my desktop and all seems well except for 2 things. NZXT CAM stays in a "log in loop" when I log into Windows until I force close CAM and reopen it. 2nd and the main reason for reinstalling is Adobe Premiere. It still crashes while in use. I've not been able to thoroughly test it since reinstalling, but yesterday I was playing around with some LUT's (color grading profiles) on a 1080p timeline and just that, no other effects or anything and I went to adjust some values and adobe froze and crashed. I had this problem a few weeks ago where I'd be rendering or color grading and adobe would become unresponsive and eventually I'd need to close it through task manager. When it happened a few weeks ago I was at least able to save my work and reopen, that wasn't the case last night. I'd say it COULD be my work station BUT all of my other programs run fine without crashing. 

i can't say i have experience using adobe premiere

i'd recommend making a new topic on it since this is a new issue and more suitable people will be willing to help