Shielded or nonshielded cat6 cable?

PuddingKing92

I am going to run cat6 cable from one room to the attic and into the living(where the router is;about 30ft) but i dont know if i should get sheilded or non shielded. Also how do i  know the computer can use cat6???

they can all use Cat6. the question is do you need cat6. are you running a 10GBps network?

if the answer is no, then buy Cat5. 30ft is nothing.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, PuddingKing92 said:

I am going to run cat6 cable from one room to the attic and into the living(where the router is;about 30ft) but i dont know if i should get sheilded or non shielded. Also how do i  know the computer can use cat6???

Are you using 10 Gigabit ethernet? That's what Cat 6 is for...

Shielded is only really needed if the area you're running it through has large amounts of electromagnetic interference.  In most residential situations, unshielded is perfectly fine.

If you go shielded installation you must go all in on it.

If shielding in any way is broken somewhere in your installation you will get feedback noise on your cables caused by differentiated grounding in your equipment. If you want to shield your cables, run them through a galvanized pipe.