Stuck on a CPU upgrade

I'm stuck on a CPU to buy. I just bought all the parts for a new desktop besides a motherboard and CPU. I would like to go for an Intel CPU, and was planning on the 8700k, but didn't expect a launch like this. Now, i have all these parts that I'm unable to use (coming from a laptop, so i can't even swap out some parts) and the Coffe Lake launch is showing no signs of coming around any time soon (unless you know something I don't?)

I'm now wondering whether I should get a 7800k and make a switch to the x299 platform, as it's still a 6 core, still the same price (for the CPU at least), would offer some benefits/improvements over z370 in terms of available RAM and SATA ports, I already have a quad channel RAM kit, and it's available now. 

I do want to use this for gaming, but its primary function is not a gaming pc. Primarily, I would be using for mostly audio editing and composing, along with video editing, photo editing and web development. I've been planning a nice workstation, but with pretty decent gaming on the side (i have a 1080 Ti waiting in its box). 

Now, obviously the gaming king is going to be the 8700k. There's not really any disputing that. I can't imagine that I would be missing out on too much gaming performance by opting for the 7800k, but do you think I would see a significant hit in other productivity tasks? It is worth noting that I will be air cooling, not liquid. Even AIO. I have already bought a Noctua NH D15 and don't want to deal with AIOs for pump noise or potential points of failure. 

It's also worth noting that I have made the choice to go for an Intel, and don't want to change that. I'm aware that AMD are doing some great things for great prices, and I have seriously considered them, but currently with the software I use there is a lot more support for Intel. I hope this changes in the future so that there is even more competition, but right now I need something stable. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks! 

Intel i7 8700k, ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 10Gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  FTW3 GAMING iCX, 64GB Kingston Fury, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W, Alienware AW3418DW

Macbook Pro mid 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM

iirc, coffee lake has launched, unless you don't have in your area. If you're prepared to pay more for your motherboard, switch to x299 as it will give better performance as a workstation and will still be beastly at gaming. Or, if you don't want to spend more on a mobo, the 8700k will be great at gaming and nearly as good at video editing, etc. It's up to you, really.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

You don't think I would miss much by switching to X299? I wouldn't mind waiting, but I'm just concerned that I now have all these parts and I have no way of even testing them. That being said, I don't want that to be a reason for rushing into the wrong CPU. I've spent this much already, I don't want to get a worse part now that I've already started buying. 

Also, given the additional cost of the 8700k at the moment (not much but still up to $30 on MSRP I think) and I've heard that they might be even more expensive when they finally come back out. Obviously it's all speculation as no one besides Intel really knows what's going on with this launch 

Intel i7 8700k, ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 10Gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  FTW3 GAMING iCX, 64GB Kingston Fury, EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W, Alienware AW3418DW

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

Interesting! What day did you order, and how long is shipping? Did they have a relatively big batch? I feel like it wouldn't be back in stock for at least another couple of weeks, but I could be wrong

18 minutes ago, adgjk said:

video editing, photo editing and web development

So why aren't you just buying an R7 1700? It's still a better value overall with the extra cores there and will work perfectly fine on cheaper B350 motherboards even with an OC, though you'll need a fan on the VRM for that potentially.

What's your budget?

And what do you mean by support for intel? There isn't any software that I know of that only runs on intel CPUs, unless you mean the better single threaded performance.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, adgjk said:

Interesting! What day did you order, and how long is shipping? Did they have a relatively big batch? I feel like it wouldn't be back in stock for at least another couple of weeks, but I could be wrong

That is just a link to someone else's post on reddit.  I did not order one.  I do know that Newegg is has been getting stock everyday, but they are selling it out in 5-15 minutes.  A lot of people on reddit have been able to buy them using what they discuss in that thread.

Good luck!

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So why aren't you just buying an R7 1700? It's still a better value overall with the extra cores there and will work perfectly fine on cheaper B350 motherboards even with an OC, though you'll need a fan on the VRM for that potentially.

What's your budget?

And what do you mean by support for intel? There isn't any software that I know of that only runs on intel CPUs, unless you mean the better single threaded performance.

My budget is an 8700k + mobo to a 7800k + mobo. Also, the software in question is Avid's Pro Tools. I have seen people saying they've got it working on Ryzen, but as a company, Avid are late to the game in everything, and seemingly minor software updates can cause incompatibilities. They do most of their testing on Intel Windows and Macs, so I would much rather stick to that. 

As I said previously, I hope this changes in the future so that we get more competition, but right now I would like to stick with Intel. 

19 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

That is just a link to someone else's post on reddit.  I did not order one.  I do know that Newegg is has been getting stock everyday, but they are selling it out in 5-15 minutes.  A lot of people on reddit have been able to buy them using what they discuss in that thread.

Good luck!

I'll check this out, thanks for bringing it up. I really had no idea they would get stock in continuously. 

7 minutes ago, adgjk said:

If you're stuck with intel then wait for the 8700K unless you need to go up in core count later or need a ton of RAM from X299

Found some various Ryzen pro tools resources though.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1626661/amd-ryzen-audio-production-dpc

https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/comments/6rqg7g/amd_2017_experiences_ryzen/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I've seen these too, although it's still not officially supported. I'm sure it would be fine, but I just have that feeling that it would be mine that has problems. Also, Ryzen isn't as fast with all 4 RAM slots being used, and I already a matching set of 4. Also, I know I said it's not primarily a gaming rig, but Intel (X299 or Z370) still has a definite edge in gaming when compared to AMD's latest offerings - that would be a nice addition too

10 minutes ago, adgjk said:

I've seen these too, although it's still not officially supported. I'm sure it would be fine, but I just have that feeling that it would be mine that has problems. Also, Ryzen isn't as fast with all 4 RAM slots being used, and I already a matching set of 4. Also, I know I said it's not primarily a gaming rig, but Intel (X299 or Z370) still has a definite edge in gaming when compared to AMD's latest offerings - that would be a nice addition too

If you're gaming at 60hz your CPU won't matter too much.

As for the RAM I still can't find anyone doing updated test with that on AGESA 1006b, though 1007 is right around the corner. My 2 stick set up has been able to go up to 3066mhz, was only 2400mhz stable previously. 

You also might want to consider just buying a delidded 8700K from silicon lottery to get your temps down 10C easily. Since you have to wait anyways. the Coffee Lake part should be a bit faster than the X299 part for your needs.

https://siliconlottery.com/products/8700k?variant=47048295116

Spoiler

Given that you are focusing a lot on your heavy multi-threaded work load, would you consider getting even a 7820X CPU. Gaming will be as good as the 7800X, but better for your other needs with the addition of 2 extra cores. Can your budget fit this is the only thing?

8 hours ago, TSL said:

Given that you are focusing a lot on your heavy multi-threaded work load, would you consider getting even a 7820X CPU. Gaming will be as good as the 7800X, but better for your other needs with the addition of 2 extra cores. Can your budget fit this is the only thing?

It would be nice to have a 7820x, but it's annoying that it's almost twice the price of the 7800x for only an extra 2 cores/4 threads. Currently that's about my budget for CPU and Motherboard, as I plan to get a nice 3440 g sync monitor too, for both productivity and gaming

Does anyone know if the size of a Noctua NH D15 will impact GPU placement on X299 boards? Specifically the ASRock X299 Taichi? I know that Noctua have made an altered version of this cooler, but I already have this part and it has 2 fans instead of 1.

Thanks 

Edit: I'll look a little longer before posting next time. I found this link which says the NH D15 is compatible with the X299 Taichi

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp#socket_3985_manuf_37

3 hours ago, adgjk said:

Does anyone know if the size of a Noctua NH D15 will impact GPU placement on X299 boards? Specifically the ASRock X299 Taichi? I know that Noctua have made an altered version of this cooler, but I already have this part and it has 2 fans instead of 1.

Thanks 

Edit: I'll look a little longer before posting next time. I found this link which says the NH D15 is compatible with the X299 Taichi

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp#socket_3985_manuf_37

Noctua will say on their website weather it will interfere with anything.

Just to update - I managed to buy an 8700k and it's been delivered! Just waiting on my Asrock z370 professional gaming i7 and I can get building :)

I decided to go for this particular board because I will eventually build a high speed file server and wanted to use 10gb ethernet. This board has it built in so there's no need to buy an add in card, and for the price it really seemed worth it! (also got a free 120GB SSD from Newegg)

12 minutes ago, adgjk said:

Just to update - I managed to buy an 8700k and it's been delivered! Just waiting on my Asrock z370 professional gaming i7 and I can get building :)

I decided to go for this particular board because I will eventually build a high speed file server and wanted to use 10gb ethernet. This board has it built in so there's no need to buy an add in card, and for the price it really seemed worth it! (also got a free 120GB SSD from Newegg)

Good job on the 8700k snag.  How did you end up getting it?

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Good job on the 8700k snag.  How did you end up getting it?

Using the method you linked from that Reddit post. Took a few attempts - Newegg would sometimes annoyingly log me out and that would screw up my speed when adding to the cart and checking out. A couple of times I "placed" the order, only to have it cancelled later via email because it wasn't in stock. I think it was 3rd time lucky though!