Motherboard SATA issues

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H67M-D2-rev-10#ov

This is the mobo in question, my friends little bro has a 60GB SSD for the OS and a 500GB HDD for everything else, both connected to the 2 white sata connectors which are 6Gbps, other 4 are 3Gbps. Anyway he wanted to add a disk, which would work, but for some reason didn't. I connected it to one of the blue connectors and the power, started the PC up and it took longer than usual, then in windows it didn't show the 1TB HDD, i checked disk management if it didn't automatically do a partitions of it but nothing, no sign of the HDD.

Went to BIOS, not there either. The thing is that i used the DVD players sata cable which worked so that's why i'm surprised it didn't. Tried another sata cable, no luck. BIOS is the latest (F9) and we tried changing the 500GB and 1TB connectors and then the 1TB was shown while the 500GB wasn't.

Would say it's the chipset but all of the connectors are for the H67 chipset, there isn't any additional sata chip that other manufacturers like to make.

any advice?

try all the other SATA ports? from what i understand you still have three you havent tested

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

try all the other SATA ports? from what i understand you still have three you havent tested

Sorry forgot to say, yes i tested all 4 blue sata ports and none worked. But like i said before the DVD drive worked/works...somehow.

Just now, NecroFlex said:

Sorry forgot to say, yes i tested all 4 blue sata ports and none worked. But like i said before the DVD drive worked/works...somehow.

guess the drives could be incompatible with that genration of SATA but that dosent really make much sense seeing as SATA is suposed to be backwards compatible from what i know. you could try a CMOS reset with the drives plugged in and another BIOS version i guess but beyond that im not really sure to be honest

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

guess the drives could be incompatible with that genration of SATA but that dosent really make much sense seeing as SATA is suposed to be backwards compatible from what i know. you could try a CMOS reset with the drives plugged in and another BIOS version i guess but beyond that im not really sure to be honest

will try tomorrow, thanks for the help :)

Just now, NecroFlex said:

will try tomorrow, thanks for the help :)

no problem, hope you can get it working :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

no problem, hope you can get it working :D 

this...this boggles my mind..so i first reflashed the latest bios, no luck, flashed an older bios,, it worked...but...sometimes it did, sometimes didn't...as you can see from the pics below, word in advance, the pictures might sting a bit.

IMG_20171025_160249.jpg

IMG_20171025_165720.jpg

I have no clue as to why it did that, later on it normally installed the WD disk driver but it just still didn't wanna work normally...i was out of ideas after 3h of tinkering and such.

I'd say the mobo is the problem but if the chipset was fucked, wouldn't the 6Gbps connectors be dead too considering it's the H67 chipset that's controlling them?

1 hour ago, NecroFlex said:

this...this boggles my mind..so i first reflashed the latest bios, no luck, flashed an older bios,, it worked...but...sometimes it did, sometimes didn't...as you can see from the pics below, word in advance, the pictures might sting a bit.

I have no clue as to why it did that, later on it normally installed the WD disk driver but it just still didn't wanna work normally...i was out of ideas after 3h of tinkering and such.

I'd say the mobo is the problem but if the chipset was fucked, wouldn't the 6Gbps connectors be dead too considering it's the H67 chipset that's controlling them?

why does it say IDE... thats not right...

and why is it called BzBzBzBzBzBzBzBzBz lmfao

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

why does it say IDE... thats not right...

and why is it called BzBzBzBzBzBzBzBzBz lmfao

idk why it says IDE, was trying to find the option to use AHCI but couldn't, not sure why, could have missed it from all the frustration this gave me :P

I have no clue why it's called like that. Sometimes it showed it as ''WD 010...'' something, but i guess the HDD identified as a bee with Bz being its pronoun ;) 

But seriously, this really makes no sense, if the sata controller was dead then the other 2 6Gbps ports wouldn't work either...i really am out of ideas...