Budget Build

mvitkun

nah I wasn't being sarcastic. I have never seen benchmarks from a 480 and since I just sold my 460 to a buddy today I was curious how bad it was compared to the 480.

so that whole build cost sub $600?

yeah....just barely though lol.

but considering I plan to add a heatsink ($30-40),small SSD ($40-50),and HDD ($70) it'll probably have a final cost of ~$750 when I 'finish' it.

though I still think it's an amazing build for that budget.

so how does your old 460 stack up to it?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

yeah....just barely though lol.

but considering I plan to add a heatsink ($30-40),small SSD ($40-50),and HDD ($70) it'll probably have a final cost of ~$750 when I 'finish' it.

though I still think it's an amazing build for that budget.

so how does your old 460 stack up to it?

Thats awesome for the price. My friend was only able to do a i3 with a 7770 for $750 lol

2500k + 480 is much better and you did it cheaper. 

As for the 460 that thing sucks. I had the 1GB version and it didn't really run anything. I was forced to use it while 780s were out of stock on amazon and I stopped gaming for a whole week.

460 works great as a physx card or a cuda rendering card. Thats why by buddy wanted it. 

But yeah thats an amazing build for the price. GG consoles. 

Thats awesome for the price. My friend was only able to do a i3 with a 7770 for $750 lol

2500k + 480 is much better and you did it cheaper. 

As for the 460 that thing sucks. I had the 1GB version and it didn't really run anything. I was forced to use it while 780s were out of stock on amazon and I stopped gaming for a whole week.

460 works great as a physx card or a cuda rendering card. Thats why by buddy wanted it. 

But yeah thats an amazing build for the price. GG consoles. 

yeah,Microcenter FTW lol.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

yeah,Microcenter FTW lol.

I don't have any of those. There is a CompUSA/TigerDirect store down the street from me but I only go there to quiz the sales people about the latest tech and then bet them that I know more. They have offered me a job twice lol. 

I don't have any of those. There is a CompUSA/TigerDirect store down the street from me but I only go there to quiz the sales people about the latest tech and then bet them that I know more. They have offered me a job twice lol. 

if microcenter offered me a job I'd be jumping with joy.

I'd get a huge discount on stuff like ram,motherboards,cases,and power supplies and then sell builds for a large profit while keeping the cost lower than any other place could possibly offer.

microcenter.......a pc builders heaven lol.

being a  microcenter empoyee.....a pc builders heaven on earth .

Linus Sebastian said:

if microcenter offered me a job I'd be jumping with joy.

I'd get a huge discount on stuff like ram,motherboards,cases,and power supplies and then sell builds for a large profit while keeping the cost lower than any other place could possibly offer.

microcenter.......a pc builders heaven lol.

being a  microcenter empoyee.....a pc builders heaven on earth .

Im not sure about the CompUSA/TD discount. I do know that Intel had some thing going on recently were you could get a 3930k for something ridiculously cheap like $180 if you worked at a place that sold Intel products. That is the only time that I ever wished I worked at a place like TD. 

Im not sure about the CompUSA/TD discount. I do know that Intel had some thing going on recently were you could get a 3930k for something ridiculously cheap like $180 if you worked at a place that sold Intel products. That is the only time that I ever wished I worked at a place like TD. 

lol I doubt it's $180,microcenter sells the lga 1155/1150 processors at no profit margin,and they still cost $180 & $230 for the i5 and i7 respectively.

Linus Sebastian said:

lol I doubt it's $180,microcenter sells the lga 1155/1150 processors at no profit margin,and they still cost $180 & $230 for the i5 and i7 respectively.

no it was some special deal from Intel. 

Such a strange looking motherboard...

System:

• Sharkoon T9 case
  • i7 - 2600k @ Stock
  • Coolermaster 212 evo
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
  • Nvidia GTX 780 EVGA Classified edition
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • Samsung 840120GB SSD

Steam ID: SILLY-eXyLe

Such a strange looking motherboard...

what's strange about it lol?

Linus Sebastian said:

I find it odd that you upgraded the GPU fan, but are running the stock intel cooler. Upgrade your CPU heatsink, you should be able to get a good one for pretty cheap if you shop around and any decent cooler will be much better than the intel one. 

I find it odd that you upgraded the GPU fan, but are running the stock intel cooler. Upgrade your CPU heatsink, you should be able to get a good one for pretty cheap if you shop around and any decent cooler will be much better than the intel one. 

I upgraded the gpu fan because my stock gpu fan heatsink (for the gtx 480) could not keep it cool enough during Crysis 2.When I played it I'd have it get to 93 degrees with my overclock and it was extremely audible.

the stock intel cpu fan can keep my cpu at around 90C with a 4.1-4.2ghz overclock during P95(no I don't have it set to 4.2ghz).and the intel stock fan isn't audible,at all.

so I picked the one that was more distracting,though I didn't mind the gtx 480 stock heatsink too much,and the one that was doing it's job the worst.

I plan to eventually buy a cpu heatsink,after I buy another HDD.though if a shadow rock 2 comes at exactly $40 I'd probably buy it before the HDD because it looks like it'd handle a pretty sick overclock.

Linus Sebastian said:

• 4 weeks later...

not sure how you'd have me improve the cable management,the only thing I see that I could improve is the 8 pin power connector,and I can't route it any other way since the cable management hole for the cpu power is blocked by the motherboard.

vrL2hlo.jpg

as to the SSD.I know it would be a huge improvement,and if it were anybody elses build I'd say the same thing.

but I wouldn't buy anything less than a 256GB SSD,and I don't intend to spend $200 on an SSD.......

yeah I know I could go for a 60-128GB SSD,but if I bought an SSD I'd want it to have a large portion of what I use on a semi-regular basis,and a 128GB SSD would not be able to fit all my files.

I do want one,I mean SSDs are silent, way faster,way better looking,etc.

and the HDD I mentioned above is 2-3 times faster than my current HDD,and my current HDD,while it's not fast,it's not uber slow.so I think the HDD above would be plenty fast enough for me

nice banana sata cables

• 2 weeks later...

Nice

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

• 3 weeks later...