PLEASE HELP - Troubling installing Windows 10 - Newly Built Rig

Go to solution Solved by Vroooom,

Sounds like the data on the USB key is corrupt. You can just download it again and put it on a different USB drive

Hi Guys, I just helped a friend of mine build his first rig. We got everything set up and we're just trying to load win 10 on it (he bought an official license and a USB key). 

We keep getting to the installation (after selecting the hard drive and making partitions) and the installation stops at 61% every time. It says that some files are corrupt or missing and it keeps asking us to restart.

We've done this like 4 times, in different USB Ports, we've trying some bios settings as mentioned on some forums but it won't really make a difference.

I'm thinking it might be an issue with the mobo? I've tried to download a new key using the mediacreationtool from micrsoft and we'll try that, but I feel like there is something eles wrong.

Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming-Pro Carbon

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like the data on the USB key is corrupt. You can just download it again and put it on a different USB drive

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

Doubt it's a mobo issue. Try downloading a new installer on a different flash drive with the media creation tool. I'd also recommend using the ports on the back of your motherboard instead of the front I/O

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

2 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Doubt it's a mobo issue. Try downloading a new installer on a different flash drive with the media creation tool. I'd also recommend using the ports on the back of your motherboard instead of the front I/O

This is what we are about to do. We've also tried the ports on the mobo directly.

I've ready there are different options in the BIOS related to UEFI, Legacy and WHQL. But I don't know what those are for?

2 minutes ago, RiqSha said:

This is what we are about to do. We've also tried the ports on the mobo directly.

I've ready there are different options in the BIOS related to UEFI, Legacy and WHQL. But I don't know what those are for?

Use UEFI. Legacy is what it sound like - legacy for hardware that doesn't support UEFI. Yours supports it, so use it.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

Basically what kagarium said about media creation tool.

If that doesn't work, you could also try downloading an ISO from msdn or somewhere and then use Rufus to create a bootable drive.

OEM version of Win10 still comes on a disc, which is imo a lot more reliable than a USB flash drive. But it's OEM license instead of retail.

Use win10 media creation tool to help you make a new win10 installer usb drive or dvd disc.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

38 minutes ago, Vroooom said:

25 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

If that doesn't work, you could also try downloading an ISO from msdn or somewhere and then use Rufus to create a bootable drive.

26 minutes ago, gundamMC said:

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

OEM version of Win10 still comes on a disc, which is imo a lot more reliable than a USB flash drive. But it's OEM license instead of retail.

Use win10 media creation tool to help you make a new win10 installer usb drive or dvd disc.

Thanks guys. I think it worked with the mediatool. I was getting worried that it might be something else so I wanted to call on the wisdom of the LTT.

You guys are awesome !