Backing up large amounts of data

chrisnathan

I'm planning to stick a couple of Seagate 3TB drives in RAID 0 in my new build with the Node 304, however I'm wondering how to back up all that data. I thought about backing it up in another 2 Seagate 3TB in RAID 0 in a dual HDD enclosure but its kinda expensive. How do you suggest I go about this? How do you guys back up your stuff?

You can also do raid 0+1 with 4 identical internal hard drive, it will give you a performance boost with redundancy. building a raid 0 for backup is in my opinion to risky for my blood

Yeah but having redundancy only protects you from hard drive failures not from viruses or power surges.

Yeah but having redundancy only protects you from hard drive failures not from viruses or power surges.
NAS, and a UPS will help you more

and dont use raid 0 if your concerned about backup atleast use raid 1

Never ever make a plain RAID0 array with HDDs, you're just looking for failure that way. As RavenXE said: go for a RAID10 (1+0) with four drives (or six) if you absolutely need more sequential R/W speed.

For protection against viruses: best thing to do is to install Linux. Otherwise, you'll never be 100% risk free.

I don't have that much space though. I'm working with a Node 304, with one of the hard drive cages removed to fit my graphics card. So i doubt I'll be able to fit a RAID 10 in there with my SSD. What about cloud storage for backup? Like livedrive

Like perplex said a NAS and a UPS could be a great solution for your problem, you can get some great deals on the web depending on you're needs. Personally I would never put any personal or sensitive data (bank account information for example) on the cloud.

that depends on the amount of data you need to back up, but firstly you should not be using raid 0 for a backup, it is okay for a main machine but if you are backing something up to it the damage from failure rate should be lower. the best option is to go with a raid 1 or 5 because that gives you some redundancy. I would suggest, if you want the backup to be large use raid 5 because it offers some redundancy but you can do it with less drives than raid 1 at most capacities. that being said if your backup only consists of 2 drives than raid 1 is really your only option for raid 5 requires more than 2 drives.

as for what I use, I currently have 8 WD 3TB Red drives in a synology SDS1812+ running Synology's faux raid 5 (software controlled not hardware), plugged in to aUPS and connected via USB so the NAS will shut down when running on battery.

RAID 10 would be a good NON-BACKUP solution for preserving your data. The array could suffer 2 drive failures and the rebuild the array after you replace the fallen drives. I personally have an external backup drive which backs up data on a regular basis.

RAID 10 would be a good NON-BACKUP solution for preserving your data. The array could suffer 2 drive failures and the rebuild the array after you replace the fallen drives. I personally have an external backup drive which backs up data on a regular basis.
Only in the best-case scenario. Worst case (which one should plan for) is a single drive failure which you can recover from. If you lost one drive and the other drive in the mirror you would lose everything.

RAID 10 is no better than raid 1 for reliability, with the exception of higher speeds.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking