7700k Prime 95

Hi Guys,

Been tweaking my overclock.  I am currently running 4.9ghz at 1.3v on my 7700k.  

If I use IBT the system stable, Real Bench the system stable, cinebench the system is again stable.  Gaming and productivity wise, I haven't seen any crashes, lock ups, or instability with the above settings, until I test with Prime 95.

So, if I use Prime 95 version 26.6 the system is stable for long runs and temps well around 70 degress under 100% load, however as soon as I start testing a on Prime 95 version 29.3, I have several cores fail instantly and hwinfo reporting temps of well over 85 degrees.

Any ideas what is going on here, would you consider the system stable?  Why does a newer version of prime cause issues, should I be gauging the "health" of my overclock on version 26.6 or 29.3?

I am lost here.

Cheers

Chris.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

To be updated... when I get time

Newer Prime is AVX version, it stresses Intel CPUs to extreme levels.

I wouldnt use it for stress testing, just something like Aida64

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Thanks for your reply man...

I thought it would have something to do with AVX.  So what are the benefits of testing with this AVX or not.

My concern here, is although my rig is stable with everything I can throw at it except the newer version of prime.  Am I going to get down the line something that uses the AVX extension cause my rig to lock up.

Should, I ultimately be looking to get it stable, with a stress test that uses the AVX extensions.

To be fair I had only used Realbench, Aida and IBT to test my overclocks until now.  But I dont like there being some "underlying" instability.  If that makes sense.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

15 minutes ago, dave_k said:

prime not stable = pc not stable, stock is also stable on prime and all it does is calculations really...

aida64 is not reliable for any proper testing because it passes through aida64 quite easily, yet get bsods when gaming after :S once ignored a prime error, never again

(◑‿◐)

8 minutes ago, chris cooper said:

I thought it would have something to do with AVX.  So what are the benefits of testing with this AVX or not.

My concern here, is although my rig is stable with everything I can throw at it except the newer version of prime.  Am I going to get down the line something that uses the AVX extension cause my rig to lock up.

Should, I ultimately be looking to get it stable, with a stress test that uses the AVX extensions.

To be fair I had only used Realbench, Aida and IBT to test my overclocks until now.  But I dont like there being some "underlying" instability.  If that makes sense.

Benefits of testing with AVX:

-you'll know if it's stable under AVX

Disadvantages:

-An OC stable in workloads you normally encounter won't be stable under AVX

You could try seeing if your mobo has an AVX offset. Some mobos let you make it so that your CPU will run AVX workloads at a slightly lower frequency.

You don't usually encounter AVX much though, so I think something like realbench will be fine.

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

prime not stable = pc not stable, stock is also stable on prime and all it does is calculations really...

aida64 is not reliable for any proper testing because it passes through aida64 quite easily, yet get bsods when gaming after :S once ignored a prime error, never again

IMO Prime is too extreme, realbench is better.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 minutes ago, chris cooper said:

up to 90*C is safe with 1.3v really , ive ran chips on 1.35v with a 24/7 load to 85-90*C and the chips never degraded or anything

i dont recommend it stressing it without AVX because windows uses AVX by default aswell if u get it stable without avx that would mean the chip might not be fully stable after all :P if u dont want any underlying instability make sure to run a 12hour minimum small fft prime95 run avx enabled ,  and a custom prime95 run filling up all ur ram , disable all programs and check for ur remaining free ram, fill prime95 in to use that amount of memory and stress atleast 24hours

aswell 3passes in memtest89 and if u wanna make sure its 12hours+

^ if u dont really do that its not guaranteed to be stable coz prime can still crash after 15-17hours of stressing ( happened quite alot )

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Benefits of testing with AVX:

-you'll know if it's stable under AVX

Disadvantages:

-An OC stable in workloads you normally encounter won't be stable under AVX

You could try seeing if your mobo has an AVX offset. Some mobos let you make it so that your CPU will run AVX workloads at a slightly lower frequency.

You don't usually encounter AVX much though, so I think something like realbench will be fine.

IMO Prime is too extreme, realbench is better.

prime95 = reliable, other things so far have not been reliable at all for me, all of them stable > one error in prime... decided to ignore it coz it drove me nuts, in the end cpu was not stable :)  if prime95 crashes its just not stable and thats a fact, coz prime just does calculations and all stock chips are stable on prime95 ^^

(◑‿◐)

Some intresting comments here.  And defo food for thought.

So i did a very quick run with the latest version of Prime with an AVX offset of 3 and it didn't crash instantly like it was before...  Maybe that has given me some more headroom...  :)

I'll keep ya posted. :D

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Agreed. Look for AVX offset if bios offers it. It might also show up in XTU if the system supports it at all.

On most modern Intel CPUs, recent versions of Prime95 are a powerful stress test, but even then I wouldn't rely on it by itself. On AVX-weak systems (like non-k OC, or Ryzen) the stress isn't that bad and other things might provoke instability faster. When I OC'd i3-6100, I found realbench threw up errors faster than P95. On R7 1700, I initially verified using P95 at 3.6 GHz 1.20v. I can run that as long as you like without error. Other things didn't agree and I got random reboots without applying a bit more voltage.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

57 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

prime95 = reliable, other things so far have not been reliable at all for me, all of them stable > one error in prime... decided to ignore it coz it drove me nuts, in the end cpu was not stable :)  if prime95 crashes its just not stable and thats a fact, coz prime just does calculations and all stock chips are stable on prime95 ^^

Realbench has worked fine for me.

shrug

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb