I watched a recent Gamer's Nexus video that mentioned that B350 motherboards' VRMs tend to get quite toasty when the CPU is overclocked.  I run an Asrock Taichi X370 board and the CPU is cooled with an AIO, meaning the cooling the VRMs are getting is primarily from case fans (and I suppose the fans on the AIO which mounted up top in a push configuration).  I have run the box at 3.8 GHz as a test without issue, with memory at 3200.  My questions then are:

1) Are X370 chipset boards known to have VRMs that get significantly hotter under OC?

2) What are your opinions on the Asrock Taichi X370 VRMs (if you have any)?

3) Is there a particular thermistor/sensor value that I can be monitoring in Asrock's tuning software or some other program while I have the box under OC via Ryzen Master (prelude to BIOS OC) to verify that I'm not about to overheat the VRMs?

1. It depends on the actual motherboard but generally no.

2. The Taichi has one of the best VRM configurations out of all the AM4 motherboards... so yes, I hold a high opinion for that motherboard.

3. You can use HWInfo to measure VRM temps.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I own a Taichi too and I'm still trying to find out if my chip is "bad" as it reaches 80C with the stock cooler at 3.6/1.1875 (stock voltage). Gladly my h110i v2 does the job on cooling it.

1) They do get hot while overclocking, but the Taichi VRMs don't need active cooling at all. I live in a hot place (probably why my chip gets hot with the stock cooler) and I've never seen those VRMs hotter than 75C at 3.9 Ghz 1.38V. That is well within the safe zone for those components.

2)The Taichi has arguably the best AM4 VRMs, you probably won't need to worry about them even down the road with Zen+ and Zen2, assuming AMD lives up to their promise that is supporting the AM4 socket until 2020.

3) HWiNFO 64 manages to get all the readers from the board listed.

Taichi is one of the best although i dont like that setup. It has way too much components and slightly hurts the efficiency.

They run damn cool.

Tl;dr

Dont worry about Taichi's VRMs

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM