Wifi Router Recommendations ($300 or less)

spotnyk

Greetings,

Looking for recommendations of a wifi router in the sub-$300 range. I'd like something tri-band, which I can get and not have to worry about. I've been looking at the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, but damn that price tag. :) Is it worth the cost? Other recommendations?

Thanks

5800X | ROG Strix B550-E | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 OCX Hybrid

NZXT Kraken X63 280mm | O11D-XL ROG | Corsair RMX 850

G513 CARBON | MX Master 3 | Audioengine D1 | Bose IE2 | Sennheiser HD-600

Shure SM7B | Tascam US-2x2

I have to ask do you have Tmobile (Not internet just phone service) they have been doing this promotional thing where they give you a router (With gimped firmware) If you get it back on the proper firmware its a $200+ router. I've been using mine and I love it. (Obviously this is no help to you if you aren't on tmobile)

Just now, Siedge said:

I have to ask do you have Tmobile (Not internet just phone service) they have been doing this promotional thing where they give you a router (With gimped firmware) If you get it back on the proper firmware its a $200+ router. I've been using mine and I love it.

I do not actually, but that sounds like an interesting deal. I'm glad it's working well for you.

5800X | ROG Strix B550-E | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 OCX Hybrid

Just now, spotnyk said:

I do not actually, but that sounds like an interesting deal. I'm glad it's working well for you.

Actually basically disregard everything I said. I thought it was triband but its only a dual band after looking into it.

I would spend $100 on a router and $200 on a dedicated access point. You'll typically get more for your money that way rather than an overpriced router with gaming marketing. (most "gaming" oriented networking gear is overpriced). 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I would spend $100 on a router and $200 on a dedicated access point. You'll typically get more for your money that way rather than an overpriced router with gaming marketing. (most "gaming" oriented networking gear is overpriced). 

Understood. What would be your recommendations for each of those?

Just now, spotnyk said:

Understood. What would be your recommendations for each of those?

For the access point, I would go for a Ubiquiti UniFi AC AP Pro. 

For the router, most of them (above a certain price point) are actually pretty similar if you remove the wireless as a factor (what the access point is for). Something like a TP-Link Archer C7 or Asus RT AC66U will do well. Should be below $250 in total for the router and AP.

11 hours ago, spotnyk said:

Greetings,

Looking for recommendations of a wifi router in the sub-$300 range. I'd like something tri-band, which I can get and not have to worry about. I've been looking at the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, but damn that price tag. :) Is it worth the cost? Other recommendations?

Thanks

Most tri band routers dont make sense. Because you basically have 2 5Ghz radios. Which really wont do anything for you. The other Tri band standard is 802.11AD, which I have not seen any WiFi cards out for the standard. Plus 60Ghz does not go thru walls at all. 

You should be fine with dual band. As the Ubiquti Ap listed above is only Dual band

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.