$400 Gaming PC Build Help

Deanfluenza

Greetings, I would like to put together a 400 USD PC, with the ability to upgrade CPU and GPU in future if I would like. I mostly just stream TV shows, and do HW. Games I play just consist of Maplestory, CSGO, Overwatch, and maybe once in a while a triple A game. 60% of my time will be streaming Netflix/HW, 30% are games, 10% light room (which is like once every month or two) 

5 minutes ago, Dwwop said:

Get ryzen 3 1200 with GT 1030. That should suit your needs

Screw that, the GT 1030 is awful.  He'd be much better getting a used 750 Ti.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

21 minutes ago, Deanfluenza said:

Greetings, I would like to put together a 400 USD PC, with the ability to upgrade CPU and GPU in future if I would like. I mostly just stream TV shows, and do HW. Games I play just consist of Maplestory, CSGO, Overwatch, and maybe once in a while a triple A game. 60% of my time will be streaming Netflix/HW, 30% are games, 10% light room (which is like once every month or two) 

What country? Do you want a smaller ITX system?

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Screw that, the GT 1030 is awful.  He'd be much better getting a used 750 Ti.

When they're like $60 or so they're not that bad, 750tis are long dead man.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

When they're like $60 or so they're not that bad, 750tis are long dead man.

They're noticeably more powerful than the 1030.  I actually had a 750 Ti up until recently and it ran games great.  I played Rise of the Tomb Raider on Medium to High settings.  It's not too hard to find a used 750 Ti for around $60-$70, at least in the US.

1 minute ago, Fardin said:

try to get maybe used system & with new graphics card. @herman mcpootis might able to give you some idea. 

An i5 Optiplex would be a good option.  A new GPU and a small SSD would really beef it up.

@Deanfluenza We still need to know what country you're in.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, Fardin said:

try to get maybe used system & with new graphics card. @herman mcpootis might able to give you some idea. 

Since you said look at an old system, do you think these are any good? Some of it out of my budget, but I just want your guy's opinion on it.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/d/new-gaming-pc-amd-six-core/6352504179.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/d/gaming-computer-i7-cpu-16gb/6351881745.html

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I suppose if it's the same price or less it ain't too bad

1 minute ago, Deanfluenza said:

United States

Do you have any interest in an ITX system?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do you have any interest in an ITX system?

Yea, I'm fine with that. 

Just now, Deanfluenza said:

Since you said look at an old system, do you think these are any good? Some of it out of my budget, but I just want your guy's opinion on it.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/d/new-gaming-pc-amd-six-core/6352504179.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/d/gaming-computer-i7-cpu-16gb/6351881745.html

fx is too old & other is just doesnt worth considering if your budget can stretched up to 600$, you no longer need to look for used system at all. i gave that idea thinking your budget is small. as mentioned by @JoostinOnline . i5 system with a new ssd + 1050ti would be a nice combo. but lets hear all other suggestions too & see what is best recommendation you feel.  

Yea, I'm fine with that. 

Your main options are buy a used business machine or something with an i5/i7 2600 and toss in a GTX 1050

or get a new APU rig, that gets you on AM4 and gives up an upgrade path

the GPU on the APU is weak but given your games it should be fine for the most part, if it isn't enough then add in a $100 GPU later or something.

I feel like this should be cheaper...

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rrLchq
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rrLchq/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - A8-9600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($67.77 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.33 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
Case: Deepcool - D-Shield ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $342.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-19 14:14 EDT-0400

He later upgrades it to an 1800X

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Deanfluenza said:

Yea, I'm fine with that. 

ITX version if you want a tiny case, the Core 500 is another solid ITX case option

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qrnpXH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qrnpXH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - A8-9600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($67.77 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($113.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $397.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-19 14:20 EDT-0400

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Deanfluenza said:

United States

Dell Optiplex - $172.95

GTX 960 - $109.99

SSD - $57.99

It's a pretty good system, and you have some money left over.

If youre buying new, Pentium G4600 and a GTX 1050. Deepcool D Shield case and EVGA 450W BT PSU are about $50 for the both. Grab a 120GB SL308.

Alternatively, spend $150 for a used office system with a Sandy/Ivy Bridge i5, add a 1050Ti(or a used 970), get the new case and PSU for $50 and you should have enough budget left to add an SSD.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

8 minutes ago, Fardin said:

fx is too old & other is just doesnt worth considering if your budget can stretched up to 600$, you no longer need to look for used system at all. i gave that idea thinking your budget is small. as mentioned by @JoostinOnline . i5 system with a new ssd + 1050ti would be a nice combo. but lets hear all other suggestions too & see what is best recommendation you feel.  

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Your main options are buy a used business machine or something with an i5/i7 2600 and toss in a GTX 1050

or get a new APU rig, that gets you on AM4 and gives up an upgrade path

the GPU on the APU is weak but given your games it should be fine for the most part, if it isn't enough then add in a $100 GPU later or something.

Thank you for the input guys!!! 

I finally see what you guy's mean. 

You guys are talking about systems like this right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KWP82CK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Q225IOAXTCKL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CV9G1BO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A27Q4NXVM8ES3L

Right, probably want an i7 2xxx minimum, hopefully around $200, you might have to do some digging.

Or find some used smaller parts, and get the AM4 system for under $300, for your use case it should be fine for the most part, I did fine on a pure APU rig for years.

Spoiler

With this, would I need to upgrade the PSU?

Most of the business machines have proprietary PSUs that can't easily be upgraded, need adapters for the motherboard, and it might not even fit in the case. The i5 2400 is going to be fairly slow though, mostly fine for 60hz gaming though.

If you end up with one of those just get a 1050 or 1050ti

Spoiler

Just now, Deanfluenza said:

With this, would I need to upgrade the PSU?

Probably not, but maybe.  You've got an extra $59 (more if you haggle on the main system), so you can get a good PSU for that.

2 minutes ago, Deanfluenza said:

i have to go now though, these would come if want new. goodluck to you  :D 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($109.87 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Azza - SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.00 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($15.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $410.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-19 14:25 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, Fardin said:

You're going to want dual channel RAM though.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

no thats 2 slots board maybe & dual channel wont make huge difference. so he can add 8gb more later if need. 

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

No he's not. Especially considering the cheapest 2x4GB kits are like $80.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

1 minute ago, Fardin said:

no thats 2 slots board maybe & dual channel wont make huge difference. so he can add 8gb more later if need. 

He thinks dual channel offers double the performance lmfao