DisplayPort to Thunderbolt doesn't work? :(

Hey everyone!

I use an LG 34UM95-P 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor which recently had problems displaying a picture because of its DisplayPort dying.

Since it has only one DisplayPort I have to use a different connector.

I would normally use HDMI, but in this case that is simply not an option for me, as HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 3440x1440 @ 60Hz. (only @ 50Hz)

The last option that remained was to use Thunderbolt of which the monitor has two ports (I guess for daisy chaining).

So I bought a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt cable of which I connected the DP end to my GTX 1080 and the TB end to my monitor, then selected TB as the input on my monitor and bam! - just a black screen.

What am I doing wrong? :S

Hopefully someone can help me out here.聽

Just now, Senzelian said:

Hey everyone!

I use an LG 34UM95-P 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor which recently had problems displaying a picture because of its DisplayPort dying.

Since it has only one DisplayPort I have to use a different connector.

I would normally use HDMI, but in this case that is simply not an option for me, as HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 3440x1440 @ 60Hz. (only @ 50Hz)

The last option that remained was to use Thunderbolt of which the monitor has two ports (I guess for daisy chaining).

So I bought a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt cable of which I connected the DP end to my GTX 1080 and the TB end to my monitor, then selected TB as the input on my monitor and bam! - just a black screen.

What am I doing wrong? :S

Hopefully someone can help me out here.聽

AFAIK Thunderbolt ports only take input from Thunderbolt devices. Thunderbolt聽outputs聽on a computer can be used as a Mini DisplayPort output, but the same is not true for Thunderbolt input ports on displays.

Just now, Glenwing said:

AFAIK Thunderbolt ports only take input from Thunderbolt devices. Thunderbolt聽outputs聽on a computer can be used as a Mini DisplayPort output, but the same is not true for Thunderbolt input ports on displays.

Thanks Glenwing.

That means I'm (the f word).

Any idea why that DisplayPort died? The cable was pretty much fixed in place so the port was not under any physical stress or if there is any way of fixing it other than sending it to LG?

Or any idea on how I would be able to get the monitor running at 60Hz without DispolayPort?聽

Just now, Senzelian said:

Any idea why that DisplayPort died? The cable was pretty much fixed in place so the port was not under any physical stress or if there is any way of fixing it other than sending it to LG?

Or any idea on how I would be able to get the monitor running at 60Hz without DispolayPort?

Don't really have any ideas on why it died. Yiu can try setting a 60 Hz custom resolution with HDMI though, see it that works.

Thunderbolt carries a DisplayPort Compatible signal聽

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away"@pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual聽CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Or any idea on how I would be able to get the monitor running at 60Hz without DispolayPort?聽

what about using HDMI 2.0?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away"@pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual聽CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Don't really have any ideas on why it died. Yiu can try setting a 60 Hz custom resolution with HDMI though, see it that works.

Sadly that didn't work either. But thanks anyway! Appreciate it :)

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

That is what I thought, too!

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

what about using HDMI 2.0?

My monitor doesn't support HDMI 2.0.

Sadly that didn't work either. But thanks anyway! Appreciate it :)

That is what I thought, too!

My monitor doesn't support HDMI 2.0.

How is the condition of the DisplayPort cable? if it is new it would be strange if it is defected

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

How is the condition of the DisplayPort cable? if it is new it would be strange if it is defected

First I used the DP cable that the monitor came with, which worked well till just a few days ago. Then the monitor started flickering and sometimes went completly black.
I wiggled the cable around to see if it was just a loose conection and indeed, that was the case. So I thought the cable was broken.
I ordered a new one, which worked for 2 days and then the same problem occured - black screen.

So now I'm pretty sure that the port on the monitor itself is almost completly dead.

HDMI works fine right now, but sadly only at 50Hz.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

First I used the DP cable that the monitor came with, which worked well till just a few days ago. Then the monitor started flickering and sometimes went completly black.
I wiggled the cable around to see if it was just a loose conection and indeed, that was the case. So I thought the cable was broken.
I ordered a new one, which worked for 2 days and then the same problem occured - black screen.

So now I'm pretty sure that the port on the monitor itself is almost completly dead.

HDMI works fine right now, but sadly only at 50Hz.

Since when you use the LG monitor? it seems like a 2 year ago model, isn't it?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

7 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Thunderbolt signals themselves are not compatible with DisplayPort. Thunderbolt output ports have the capability to send pure DisplayPort signals instead of Thunderbolt signals, so they can connect to standard DisplayPort displays, but Thunderbolt inputs only recognize Thunderbolt signals, they don't have compatibility with incoming standard DisplayPort signals.

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Since when you use the LG monitor? it seems like a 2 year ago model, isn't it?

The monitor exists since 2013 and I think I got it in mid 2014.
It is definitly our of warranty.

Just now, Glenwing said:

Thunderbolt signals themselves are not compatible with DisplayPort. Thunderbolt output ports have the capability to send pure DisplayPort signals instead of Thunderbolt signals, so they can connect to standard DisplayPort displays, but Thunderbolt inputs only recognize Thunderbolt signals, they don't have compatibility with incoming standard DisplayPort signals.

wait how well do i get the linus video talking about thunderbolt to displayport?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

The monitor exists since 2013 and I think I got it in mid 2014.
It is definitly our of warranty.

check if the ports has something dirty, i usually clean ports (literally any ports) with a聽body oil

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I have a weird idea now.
What if my GTX 1080 was able to send out a Thunderbolt signal of its DisplayPort?
Any idea if that would be possible?

check if the ports has something dirty, i usually clean ports (literally any ports) with a聽body oil

I'll do!

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

k, I'm going to kill myself. >_<
It was one of the DP ports on my graphics card that doesn't work properly. Just switched to another and it actually works fine...聽:$

17 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

k, I'm going to kill myself. >_<
It was one of the DP ports on my graphics card that doesn't work properly. Just switched to another and it actually works fine...聽:$

that was close, usually DisplayPort is only one in normal 1080p/60hz. but at that resolution sure it will be impossible for LG to not put 2 DisplayPorts

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :