Searching for the ultimate mobile gaming rig

Hey i am searching for a solution to my very special problem.

I want a Laptop, which has a great battery life and is light and is portable + it would be awesome to have a convertable (so I could write on it like on real paper), so that I can use it during my mechanical engineering study. But I also would like it to have good gaming performance.

1. The first solution would be to get 2 systems, one for gaming and one for productivity, but I dont like to have a Laptop and a Desktop at the same time. I am kind of weird, but I'd like to have one system to rule them all :D

2. The secound solution is to get a Laptop with a good cpu and usb-c/thunderbolt 3 support (x4 for best experience). But I didn't found any laptops that fullfill my needs entirely perfect. One option is the razorblade stealth, but I think it is not so good in the price to performance perspective (or is it?). Another option is the dell xps lineup (there is also a convertable, which would be neat), but they dont feature 4 lanes of pcie 3. (Or a Macbook, with Windows, but I think this would be too expancive)

Could you help me solve my misery :D and give me some advice on what to do?

(Rigth now I have a gaming rig and a laptop (which isn't that good))

(Sry for bad english. I am from germany)

i would just recommend u to get a custom rig, based on MINI ITX platform ( tiny af case ect )

one with a good enough cpu for productivity and a good enough gpu for gaming :)

mini itx is rather portable however u cant take it out on ur lap and play like that xD if u want that ul need a high end laptop :S

mini itx however is easy to carry from house to house :)

(◑‿◐)

10 minutes ago, RedMatterCrafter said:

Hey i am searching for a solution to my very special problem.

I want a Laptop, which has a great battery life and is light and is portable + it would be awesome to have a convertable (so I could write on it like on real paper), so that I can use it during my mechanical engineering study. But I also would like it to have good gaming performance.

1. The first solution would be to get 2 systems, one for gaming and one for productivity, but I dont like to have a Laptop and a Desktop at the same time. I am kind of weird, but I'd like to have one system to rule them all :D

2. The secound solution is to get a Laptop with a good cpu and usb-c/thunderbolt 3 support (x4 for best experience). But I didn't found any laptops that fullfill my needs entirely perfect. One option is the razorblade stealth, but I think it is not so good in the price to performance perspective (or is it?). Another option is the dell xps lineup (there is also a convertable, which would be neat), but they dont feature 4 lanes of pcie 3. (Or a Macbook, with Windows, but I think this would be too expancive)

Could you help me solve my misery :D and give me some advice on what to do?

(Rigth now I have a gaming rig and a laptop (which isn't that good))

(Sry for bad english. I am from germany)

Think of it as a long-term investment, it is probably worth spending +2000$ on a really good laptop once and having it for +6 years rather than buying a shitty 900$ one every 1 or 2 years and getting a worse experience overall. 

4 minutes ago, Input_Name_Here said:

Think of it as a long-term investment, it is probably worth spending +2000$ on a really good laptop once and having it for +6 years rather than buying a shitty 900$ one every 1 or 2 years and getting a worse experience overall. 

the thing is laptops are behind on desktops by FAR, for a long term investment getting a good badass cpu and gpu in a mini itx is way more proof then a flaptop :v ( also dont forget dead batteries ect xD )

(◑‿◐)

If you have the budget, get a portable&decent built laptop and a gaming desktop

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Lookie here... it isn't what I was remembering, (haven't found that sophisticated version in a military grade housing) but still =)

https://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1147644

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

I think the Surface Book 2 Has what you are looking for. It's going to have a quad core and a gtx 1050, but then it is going to be very expensive.  

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

I think that even if you pay 200-250$ for an uber small ITX case like the NFC S4 Mini it will still be worth it because you could shove something like a badass 8700K in it and a 1070 (Linus did put a 1080 in it but I wouldn't try tbh) and still have the option to upgrade 

Edit: here is the video

5 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i would just recommend u to get a custom rig, based on MINI ITX platform ( tiny af case ect )

one with a good enough cpu for productivity and a good enough gpu for gaming :)

mini itx is rather portable however u cant take it out on ur lap and play like that xD if u want that ul need a high end laptop :S

mini itx however is easy to carry from house to house :)

I have a mini Itx gaming rig with an i5 6600K and an gtx 1060. But i definitely need a laptop anyway, so I thougt that i just get one with thunderbolt 3 x4 and fuse them togehter.

And my budget is rather large. I would have chosen a good laptop over a crapy/cheap one for sure.

4 hours ago, ElZamo92 said:

I think the Surface Book 2 Has what you are looking for. It's going to have a quad core and a gtx 1050, but then it is going to be very expensive.  

Ok great Idea. But I think, that i will keep my gaming rig, because of its performance. But I will definitely keep it in mind!

12 minutes ago, RedMatterCrafter said:

I have a mini Itx gaming rig with an i5 6600K and an gtx 1060. But i definitely need a laptop anyway, so I thougt that i just get one with thunderbolt 3 x4 and fuse them togehter.

And my budget is rather large. I would have chosen a good laptop over a crapy/cheap one for sure.

Do you commute between two fixed locations or you travel a lot? 

I personally have a desktop at the places where I move back and forth and a thin and light for my outdoor compute needs since I don't like to game in an not so comfortable environment (I'll bring my Switch instead if I really want my gaming fix)

Unless you play MMOs or other PC exclusives at odd locations because of in-game schedule (which I understand) gaming laptops are kinda awkward to use most of the time. 

14 hours ago, light-v said:

Do you commute between two fixed locations or you travel a lot? 

I personally have a desktop at the places where I move back and forth and a thin and light for my outdoor compute needs since I don't like to game in an not so comfortable environment (I'll bring my Switch instead if I really want my gaming fix)

Unless you play MMOs or other PC exclusives at odd locations because of in-game schedule (which I understand) gaming laptops are kinda awkward to use most of the time. 

I will stay at 2 fixed locations, the university and my apartment. I was thinking like you, but i wanted a laptop that could do both, being protable and able to work with an e-gpu. But I think now that this isn't the best idea. I will have to use 2 systems sadly.

16 minutes ago, RedMatterCrafter said:

I will stay at 2 fixed locations, the university and my apartment. I was thinking like you, but i wanted a laptop that could do both, being protable and able to work with an e-gpu. But I think now that this isn't the best idea. I will have to use 2 systems sadly.

I had that idea too but the more I thought about it the more I realised I would be wasting money and performance. TB3 is a bottleneck for anything beyond a 1060 but a Razer Core itself cost the same as a 1070/1080. That drives total price to as much as a proper desktop so I bought a used Haswell i5 for about 120$, an itx mobo and some RAM and I just take the GPU with me. Linus also pointed out that the Core is also as big as the Dan Case A4-SFX so there's that too. 

I tried gaming on the train and the plane and I hated it so that's why I'm not really sold on gaming laptops anymore