Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ryzen 5 1600 Overclocking

Since all people the people i've met and shared my (planned) build specs to have all said I should get a B350 board so I can overclock and void my warranty because yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay who needs warranties amirite? (send help)

Anyways after asking people how the 1600x was any different than the normal 1600 they just said it came with higher clocks from the factory because it can support higher voltage better or something... Idk..?

So I'm gonna get the 1600 and overclock it to the 1600x's clock speed to save the extra 20$. All I need to do when overclocking is adjust the voltage higher by a tiny bit, yeah? How much would that be - or whats a safe increment to go up by when trying to find a stable voltage?

it doesn't void warranty..... anything that's 1.4V or under for v-core will survive till the end of times. we can't tell you exactly what that will be for you because it depends on your chip. they're all different.

just know that all B350 boards have sub par VRM and aren't great. I personally haven't seen any chip hit 4GHz on B350. when it's kinda easy on Z370

its like this, the 1600x will use less voltage for the same frequency, and should have a higher max frequency (not always the case), if you getting a b350 board get one with good vrms as we cant forget that even though its cheaper now its still a 6 core, so get something like the b350-f (best vrm on b350 boards), 

1.35v is where people like to stay at, 1.45 is the absolute max you should even consider

1 hour ago, RainOfPain125 said:

Anyways after asking people how the 1600x was any different than the normal 1600 they just said it came with higher clocks from the factory because it can support higher voltage better or something... Idk..?

There's no manufacturing difference between the two chips. They come from the same batch, but are then tested to see what frequency they're capable of reaching (binning). The ones capable of hitting 4.1GHz (for example) with six cores without crashing are placed in the 1600x bucket. Those capable of only hitting 4GHz or less are placed in the 1600 bucket.

Ryzen 5 1600 : Base 3.2 - Boost all cores 3.4 - Boost three cores 3.6 - XFR one core 3.7GHz. - MSRP: $219 with stock cooler

Ryzen 5 1600x: Base 3.6 - Boost all cores 3.7 - Boost three cores 4.0 - XFR one core 4.1GHz. - MSRP: $249 no cooler.

(I THINK this is how Ryzen Performance Boost and XFR work, I could be wrong)

With the 1600x costing $30 more and it still needs a cooler (another $30+), people consider the 1600 a better cost-to-performance choice, especially considering the stock Wraith Spire is pretty damn good and can achieve mild overclocks without dangerous temperatures. The sweet-spot for overclocking the 1600 on stock cooler is around 3.7 to 3.8GHz (all cores) at below 1.35v. These results may vary depending on CPU and Board bios settings availble. So basically, the 1600 is more practical. You can use the money you saved toward a better quality Strix B350 board, or X370.

1 hour ago, RainOfPain125 said:

All I need to do when overclocking is adjust the voltage higher by a tiny bit, yeah? How much would that be - or whats a safe increment to go up by when trying to find a stable voltage?

Usually, you can go by what others have achieved as a guideline. It's a good idea to test an overclock with a stress testing program like Aida64. It has a System Stability Test which allows you to place the CPU under a simulated heavy load. If the program alerts to a failure, either the Frequency or Voltage need adjusting. As I mentioned above, depending on what board you get, you'll probably be able to get 3.8GHz at 1.30-1.35v on the stock cooler.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz