Help Required Ryzen 7 1700 using 1.4v on stock no OC

Go to solution Solved by Vishant,
11 hours ago, dave_k said:

Yeah, the voltage is fine.

The ISL95712 is not the best part, so the voltage cartwheels are possible.

Thanks for the response mate. Since I am not looking to overclock this chip at all. I think this motherboard should hold up for few years that I am planning to do. I'll do check your guide before making the purchase so that I can get the best.

Currently, I'll be focusing on upgrading my GPU to a 1070 or better.聽

Thanks Guys for assistance. I'll mark this as resolved.聽

Hi LTT Group,

My system specs are :
CPU : Ryzen 7 1700 stock no overclock
RAM : 8GB 2400 Mhz Kingston HyperX (no profile selected)
Cooler : Stock CPU Wraith Cooler
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3

The issue is CPU-z is showing me load sometimes my cpu is using excess of 1.400 v on vcore whereas i have no overclock what so ever on my system. It keeps jumping around 1.1 - 1.4 automatically. I know 1.4v is way too much and it should not go there. But I am running everything on stock and there is no overclock configured on my motherboard settings. Then why it is doing that? My Temp are normal though. Please help me how can I keep it lower? I dont want to kill my chip because of this.

Please help

Use some kind of load (prepare fire extinguisher for the mobo) and then check the voltage with HWInfo64.

Idle voltage tends to be high (1.35V) and load one low (1.2V)

The higher idle voltage is normal.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

3 hours ago, Vishant said:

The issue is CPU-z is showing me load sometimes my cpu is using excess of 1.400 v on vcore whereas i have no overclock what so ever on my system. It keeps jumping around 1.1 - 1.4 automatically. I know 1.4v is way too much and it should not go there. But I am running everything on stock and there is no overclock configured on my motherboard settings. Then why it is doing that? My Temp are normal though. Please help me how can I keep it lower? I dont want to kill my chip because of this.

If you're on stock settings, your CPU will automatically boost the frequency from it's stock 3.0GHz to 3.2GHz (all cores)聽to 3.7 (four cores), and 3.75GHz聽due to聽XFR (one core). Your auto voltage will increase to handle this performance boost. This will only happen if your temperatures are low enough. So you're perfectly fine.

Edit: You may have an option in your bios to disable XFR, which may help some. It may be called Core Performance Boost.

3 hours ago, dave_k said:

You CPU and mobo combo got me epilepsy. No seriously, i have seen only 1 worse combo than that.

Regardless of how we Ryzen-geeks may view his choices as being unwise, you don't have to be a dick about it. You didn't even answer his question.

@VishantMany will clearly disagree with your choice of placing a Ryzen 7 on a B350 board, especially a Gigabyte board. To prolong the life of your board, it's advisable not to manually overclock the CPU. There have been some recent discoveries and questions raised regarding unsafe, high VRM temperatures with high Ryzen 7 overclocks on the BEST b350 boards. Sadly, many claim Gigabyte has poor quality VRMs incapable of maintaining a Ryzen 7 overclock.

CPU:聽Ryzen 5 5600x聽聽Board: Asus PRIME X570-P聽 Ram:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000 聽Case:聽Fractal Design Define S

GPU:聽NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 聽SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 聽HDD:聽Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU:聽SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W 聽Cooler:聽Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 聽Monitor:聽Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

34 minutes ago, johndms said:

cut

I tried to help him.

Idle voltage is usually higher, he should check the load voltage, if it was at 1.3 or higher i would be worried.

As you said, XFR does boost the cores and the voltage on idle rapidly changes from like 1.2V ti 1.35V or something.

Completely understand your point. Well the reason I went with this motherboard is I heard that this is the best budget motherboard out there (which I was wrong maybe) and the market from which I purchased ASUS doesn't have a good reputation of after sales service. Gigabyte has a very strong stand here. I don't聽intended to overclock this cpu, I paid 169 dollars (11,000 INR) for this.聽

I will be testing this using HWMonitor today, running a cinebench or AIDA64 stress test for 30 mins and share the result with you guys so that you can suggest if I should do some changes in the bios setting or contact Gigabyte for a replacement.

The reason I went for this setup is I am planning to do game live stream to youtube or twitch using this system. I am also facing some issues with using software encoder in OBS which is causing laggy gameplay. Should I start a new thread for this?

GPU : ASUS Strix Direct CU2 GTX 960 4GB OC Edition
Power Supply : Corsair CX600

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Vishant said:

The reason I went for this setup is I am planning to do game live stream to youtube or twitch using this system. I am also facing some issues with using software encoder in OBS which is causing laggy gameplay. Should I start a new thread for this?

Possibly. I don't know much about OBS or encoding, streaming, etc. I use Nvidia's Share to record my Overwatch gameplay at times, but it's fairly simple and doesn't have the advanced options OBS has. I fear any change in topic may go unnoticed. Maybe a topic in Troubleshooting would attract more attention.

CPU:聽Ryzen 5 5600x聽聽Board: Asus PRIME X570-P聽 Ram:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000 聽Case:聽Fractal Design Define S

GPU:聽NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 聽SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 聽HDD:聽Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU:聽SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W 聽Cooler:聽Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 聽Monitor:聽Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

On 18/10/2017 at 5:08 PM, johndms said:

Possibly. I don't know much about OBS or encoding, streaming, etc. I use Nvidia's Share to record my Overwatch gameplay at times, but it's fairly simple and doesn't have the advanced options OBS has. I fear any change in topic may go unnoticed. Maybe a topic in Troubleshooting would attract more attention.

Hey, I did some stress testing and found out that under load it stays at 1.11x v and does't go upto 1.3 or 1.404 v which it is only doing occasionally under non full load conditions. I was shit scared when I saw that voltage cpu is pulling but for short burst i don't think it will decrease the life cycle of my cpu.聽

Thanks for helping and prompt response. LTT forums is amazing. For question regarding OBS I'll be creating a new thread for the same.

Thanks Again.聽

2 minutes ago, Vishant said:

Hey, I did some stress testing and found out that under load it stays at 1.11x v and does't go upto 1.3 or 1.404 v which it is only doing occasionally under non full load conditions. I was shit scared when I saw that voltage cpu is pulling but for short burst i don't think it will decrease the life cycle of my cpu.聽

Thanks for helping and prompt response. LTT forums is amazing. For question regarding OBS I'll be creating a new thread for the same.

Thanks Again.聽

12 minutes ago, Vishant said:

Hey, I did some stress testing and found out that under load it stays at 1.11x v and does't go upto 1.3 or 1.404 v which it is only doing occasionally under non full load conditions.

That's to be expected. At full load, I would expect it to be running聽3.2GHz on all cores, so 1.11v sounds great.聽Under minor loads and lower temperatures, the CPU may overclock higher 3.7 or 3.75 which will raise the voltage higher. XMP only boosts to 3.75 on one core聽during single threaded tasks that don't require the other 15 threads, so 1.4v is fine. It shouldn't stay that high very long as temperatures will rise and the CPU will back off.

Edit: It's smart to be concerned though. Asking questions = Better safe than sorry.

11 hours ago, dave_k said:

Thanks for the response mate. Since I am not looking to overclock this chip at all. I think this motherboard should hold up for few years that I am planning to do. I'll do check your guide before making the purchase so that I can get the best.

Currently, I'll be focusing on upgrading my GPU to a 1070 or better.聽

Thanks Guys for assistance. I'll mark this as resolved.聽

On 17. 10. 2017 at 6:30 PM, Vishant said:

It keeps jumping around 1.1 - 1.4 automatically. I know 1.4v is way too much and it should not go there.聽

You know nothing!

1,4V is still fine, and by default it will sometimes go to that voltage.

But as you already know from other replys, that's nothing to worry about xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill聽3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB