GPU Causing a screen tearing effect?

Jahoppski

Hello!

The problem with my GPU (EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Superclocked) is that it would often create an effect similar to that of screen tearing. I was thinking that it could've been my monitor, but I have tested it out on three different monitors with three different HDMI cables, so I'm quite sure that the GPU is at fault. However I'm wondering if it could possibly be a setting or something that I may have changed that caused it? My current monitor has a refresh rate of 144hz, and yet screen tears on this video. It would also tear on games, as well as videos. Should I try and replace it? Or is it a simple problem?聽

Thanks!

1 minute ago, jeff.proto-_- said:

Have you tried changing the GPUs PCI-E slot to see if it's the motherboard?

No, I haven't done that yet. I didn't even think of that for some reason. Thanks, I'll try that soon and respond as soon as I've checked.

Just because you're running a 144Hz monitor doesn't mean that screen tearing won't appear.

You have to use a V-Sync or G-Sync to get rid of screen tearing.

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Just because you're running a 144Hz monitor doesn't mean that screen tearing won't appear.

You have to use a V-Sync or G-Sync to get rid of screen tearing.

None of the games/videos were above 60fps though, which means that screen tearing shouldn't appear in the first place, I believe.

23 minutes ago, jeff.proto-_- said:

Have you tried changing the GPUs PCI-E slot to see if it's the motherboard?

There's no screen tearing now! Does that mean it's the motherboard's PCI-E slot that's at fault?

No Sync --> you get tearing, that is how it works.

While some people perceive picture building on 144Hz monitors to be so fast they can hardly realise tearing if it only occasionally appears (like one frame per second) some may be more suseptible. Also check if you have your monitor driven at the right frequency. There are some weird 59Hz/61Hz whatever ... refresh rates. Also if you watch a video with a framerate that does not fit your refreshrate like the very odd 29.97fps then you will get tearing too. Have you watched any video on how tearing works/occurs? if not I highly encourage you to do so. Linus has something on techquickie but I also recommend battle(non)sense (also on youtube)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM- easy and most importantly approved here 聽 聽 聽 聽4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽
Don't change a running system

Screen tearing happens regardless of framerate. It's just less likely at lower framerates, but actually less noticeable at higher resolutions as the differences between frames become lesser.聽

3 minutes ago, Jahoppski said:

None of the games/videos were above 60fps though, which means that screen tearing shouldn't appear in the first place, I believe.

Screen tearing can still appear.

Why V-Sync does is to synchronise the FPS your graphics card pushes with the refresh rate of your monitor. Without that your graphics card may push a frame to early or late which will result in screen tearing. So the solution is to enable V-Sync as long as you can guarentee a steady framerate or get a G-Sync monitor.

5 minutes ago, Jahoppski said:

believe

belief聽is religion, this is science. Please watch some videos and then think about if your monitor is really behaving abormally.

First few minutes of this for example:聽

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM- easy and most importantly approved here 聽 聽 聽 聽4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

Thanks everybody, I apparently knew very little about how screen tearing works, I need to look up more about it!

Also thanks for helping me find the solution, wouldn't have guessed it'd have been the PCI-E Slot聽:$

Oh, umm, apparently I was wrong. It hasn't changed, and I missed it somehow聽:/

Maybe it is the GPU at fault? That's what I'm thinking. I've tried it on this video, and this video, and this one. All with the same result of tearing. I'm not sure what it could be then聽>:(

Most of the time before i got a gsync monitor the screen tearing would start around the 50fps point on my 144hz monitor just as a data point here.

1 minute ago, Stonefam28 said:

Most of the time before i got a gsync monitor the screen tearing would start around the 50fps point on my 144hz monitor just as a data point here.

My monitor only has free-sync. That's making me wonder if I should sell my 1060 and buy a 580 or something.聽

Screen tearing is guaranteed regardless of refresh rate or frame rate, unless you enable Gsync / Freesync, Fast sync / Enhanced Sync, or your program is set to use Vsync. There's nothing wrong with your hardware-- that's just how it works

Primary: CPU聽Core i7-4790K聽 |聽聽MOBO聽Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H聽 聽|聽聽RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9聽 |聽聽GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition聽 |聽聽CPU Cooler聽Thermaltake Frio Silent 14聽 |聽聽Case聽Cooler Master N400聽聽|聽聽PSU聽Corsair CXM 750 Watt聽|聽聽Boot Drive聽500GB Samsung 850 Evo聽 |聽聽Storage聽500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD聽聽|聽聽Monitor聽Acer XG270HU聽|聽聽Secondary Monitor聽Nixeus VUE-24聽 |聽 Tertiary Monitor聽Sony SDM-HS53聽 |聽聽OS聽Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance)CPU聽Core 2 Quad Q9300聽 |聽聽MOBO聽(Asus P5N-E arriving soon)聽 |聽聽RAM聽8GB DDR2-800聽 |聽 GPU聽Visiontek Radeon R9 270聽 | CPU Cooler聽Cooler Master Hyper T2聽 |聽聽Case聽Rajintek Arcadia聽 |聽聽PSU聽EVGA 500 BV聽 |聽聽Boot Drive聽240GB PNY SSD聽 |聽聽Storage聽120GB Seagate聽PATA HDD聽 |聽 Removable Drives聽Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive聽 |聽聽Monitor聽HP S2031聽 |聽聽OS聽Windows 10

12 hours ago, Jahoppski said:

My monitor only has free-sync. That's making me wonder if I should sell my 1060 and buy a 580 or something.聽

Do you buy a new car because you do not like the color anymore and white heats up less than black when lit by the sun?

3.Use

NVidia GPUs do not work with free-sync, so getting a 580 may solve your problem