PCIe riser issue with Phanteks Evolv Shift?

captain cactus

So, after running my system with no issues on the motherboard box for a while (Ryzen 5 1600@ stock, 16GB LPX3000@2133 ASRock AB350 Gaming ITX/ac, Vega 56 UV to 1050 mV@ 1530MHz) while waiting on the case I got my system finally installed in my new Phanteks Evolv Shift and I ran into problems the moment I turned it on. First it wouldn't boot at all. Then it would sometimes boot but the screen looked like a dia show with massive tearing left and right, even in the BIOS and finally it would sometimes take ages to even get to the post screen, even though the monitor was showing a green light (aka GPU is sending data of some sort). Took the system out of the case again, plugged my V56 directly in the motherboard and whaddayaknow, no issues at all. Put it back in the system, it works for a couple of boots, but as I'm typing I can definitely feel the system being sluggish, and booting up PUBG (which ran at a solid 100+ fps most of the time on stock CPU, 2133 RAM and UV GPU) it was barely braking 40 fps average, jumping up and down between 20 and 60 multiple times per second. Running Unigine Superposition (which also run fine before case installation commenced) and GPUZI can see the GPU clock jumping up and down between 1530 and 1300-ish and power usage jumps between ~200W (normal for UV Vega) and 130W, indicating some form of power delivery issue, and that's with 50% extra power limit. I checked the riser cable with a multimeter and every connection gives that highly annoying beep when you touch the contacts of the multimeter, so no cable breaks or shorts are present to my knowledge

So I can currently think of two things here that could be wrong, both have to do with the cable Panteks ships with the Evolv Shift. Either it's something in the data transfer from the CPU to the GPU making the whole thing feel sluggish or the GPU isn't getting enough power over the PCIe slot due to bigger-than-expected power losses in the cable causing severe power throttles. Is there something else I forgot here that coule be it? Browsing the Phanteks forums I can see more people with other cases that have a Phanteks riser cable with issues, which is why I think this is a similar issue.

Ye ole' train

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently having the same issue, and I believe it is related to power consumption of a GPU. Once I connected my GTX 970, screen was black. Took if out and plugged my Toshiba OCZ NVME SSD into the PCIe slot - worked perfectly. Plugged it into the riser cable slot and Windows recognized it. So I'm more than likely going to RMA the riser cable, but I'm also going to seek alternatives that'll fit my Evolv Shift case as well.

• 4 months later...

The riser cable is the biggest flaw. I've had a replacement and while it helped me from getting blue screens and crashes, it still occasionally blue screens if I place the glass on, or if I bend it in a way it doesn't like. 

The problem is that Phanteks uses a wider than normal riser to screw into their bracket that holds onto the graphics card, this means it's not easy finding a replacement.

Also, no matter what their photos show, trust me, there is NO room for an aio and an SC2 hybrid for example, unless you're prepared for some super cramping. They should have made it just an inch wider and an inch deeper.

• 1 month later...

alright guys after months and three replacements, I finally found a compatible gen 3 one from a company called BESTAR. I don't know if links are allowed here but it was on Ali Express. Solved my problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, amnesia said:

alright guys after months and three replacements, I finally found a compatible gen 3 one from a company called BESTAR. I don't know if links are allowed here but it was on Ali Express. Solved my problems.

Hi, how is the Bestar PCIe riser compared to the stock one? Did you test for any improvements in performance and reliability?

I'm also having issues with my riser, I temporarily solved them by forcing Gen2 but it bugs me to have an unreliable piece of junk handling GPU data and power and I'm looking for alternatives.

I'd rather ask before spending 50$ tho.