Ryzen 1700 spiking like crazy

VSTOLL

Hello guys,

I've overclocked my Ryzen 1700 to 3.7GHz and 1.25v, using the stock cooler on a MSi B350M Mortar. It's running pretty stable but I've noticed that the temperature is spiking by 10ºC every 10 seconds.

The temperature itself isn't my concern, it's idling between 40~45ºC in a pretty hot room, something close to 30ºC, I don't have the tools to measure the ambient temp but it's 28ºC outside and it's hotter in here.

It's shooting up only with Chrome and the Pocket Casts web player open, as soon as I close chrome or pause the podcasts, the spikes becomes less frequent, but still present, maybe one each 30 seconds.

Is this a bug or some setting that I should change in the BIOS? I'm running the latest bios with the Ryzen Power Plan, updated Windows 10, Cool N Quiet and Core Performance Boost turned off.

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

Just now, VSTOLL said:

Ryzen 1700 to 3.7GHz and 1.25v, using the stock cooler on a MSi B350M Mortar

Are you serious?

The temps are somewhat normal for the cooler.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Are you serious?

The temps are somewhat normal for the cooler.

Have you read the post? My concern is the spikes, not the temperature itself. There's no meaning in those 10C spikes every 10s, the CPU Usage and voltage is not spiking with it.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

4 minutes ago, VSTOLL said:

Have you read the post? My concern is the spikes, not the temperature itself. There's no meaning in those 10C spikes every 10s, the CPU Usage and voltage is not spiking with it.

Normal, my 1600 does it too.

My bigger concern is the fact that you have overclock R7 on especially garbage B350 motherboard

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Normal, my 1600 does it too.

My bigger concer is the fact that you have overclock R7 on especially garbage B350 motherboard

You shouldn't be concerned with that, it's running good. My VRM temps are fine as wine, I have a good airflow on that region of the board and the stock amd cooler helps blowing some air there too.

Just now, VSTOLL said:

You shouldn't be concerned with that, it's running good. My VRM temps are fine as wine, I have a good airflow on that region of the board and the stock amd cooler helps blowing some air there too.

What are the temps?

You might have the fan curve set such that the fan ramps up and cools of the cpu then slows back down, but right as the fan slows the cpu starts to heat up again, causing the fan and the cpu temps to bounce back and forth over the threshold.  Try looking in the bios and check if the fans are set to ramp up around the temp your cpu is at when this is happening.  

12 minutes ago, dave_k said:

What are the temps?

I've run a quick AIDA64 to get latest results. The MOSFETs temps are labeled Motherboard on HWInfo and Aida

I know that only 10 minutes isn't much, but It was stable already, and remember, I don't use the PC at 100% at all time, so it's safe.

Capture.JPG

Just now, VSTOLL said:

I've run a quick AIDA64 to get latest results. The MOSFETs temps are labeled Motherboard on HWInfo and Aida

I know that only 10 minutes isn't much, but It was stable already, and remember, I don't use the PC at 100% at all time, so it's safe.

Capture.JPG

yeah fine

24 minutes ago, dave_k said:

yeah fine

Yeah, for my use it's totally fine. I understant that if I try to reach 4GHz on 1.4v or something like that, this board will not hold it, and I'm not a crazy overclocker, actually, this is the first OC that I intend to keep. So yeah, if someday I become a crazy hardware overclocker dude, I would probably buy a high-end board, like a Taichi or a Crosshair. But eh, I'm just a designer, decreasing 2 seconds on a quick blocking render on keyshot doesn't call my attention. I would rather spend my money on a badass Wacom.

8 minutes ago, VSTOLL said:

Yeah, for my use it's totally fine. I understant that if I try to reach 4GHz on 1.4v or something like that, this board will not hold it, and I'm not a crazy overclocker, actually, this is the first OC that I intend to keep. So yeah, if someday I become a crazy hardware overclocker dude, I would probably buy a high-end board, like a Taichi or a Crosshair. But eh, I'm just a designer, decreasing 2 seconds on a quick blocking render on keyshot doesn't call my attention. I would rather spend my money on a badass Wacom.

youre fine but anything over 1.33V will get hot (90+)

24 minutes ago, dave_k said:

youre fine but anything over 1.33V will get hot (90+)

Yeah, I'll keep away from that. I'm stable at 1.25v and 3.7GHz, I'll try lowering the voltage as much as I can, I don't think it will be possible, but I'll try.