October 13, 2017 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Beats me on the start menu, i'm running windows 10 on an old 2012 laptop with a hdd and no start menu lag for me. 

Search works fine for me: 

From 23:16 in the video:

Just typical OS bloat, which happens with every device pretty much across the board. It's something I actually don't quite understand that well. Why is it that a few text entries in the Windows registry means that my computer is slower now.

It doesn't. The whole "entries in the registry slows your PC down" is a myth.

Here is a test someone did a few years ago. The take-away from his tests is that registry size has nothing to do with performance.

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Apple does this by traditionally down-clocking their processors upon sale and gradually overclocking the models upon an update. With the introduction we also see numerous GPU optimisations. 

[Citation Needed]

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

As for the article is is 100% correct. Apple does this by traditionally down-clocking their processors upon sale and gradually overclocking the models upon an update

Fake News 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Here is a test someone did a few years ago. The take-away from his tests is that registry size has nothing to do with performance.

Then what slows it down?  It must be something involving tons of tiny files because in the days of HDD boot drives it would take only a year or two to become totally unusable (multi-minute boot times and logon times), as I'm sure you remember, but now with SSDs the effect seems to be basically gone.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

From 23:16 in the video:

[Citation Needed]

It is not fake news at all. It should be pretty common knowledge in the jailbreaking scene from a few years ago. Did you see my Quora link?

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then what slows it down?  It must be something involving tons of tiny files because in the days of HDD boot drives it would take only a year or two to become totally unusable (multi-minute boot times and logon times), as I'm sure you remember, but now with SSDs the effect seems to be basically gone.

I remember having that issue a long time ago, but even when I had my Samsung F3 as my boot drive (fantastic drive by the way, still got it in my system ~7 years later) I didn't have that issue.

I really think it is fragmentation, more programs running at startup, and things like that which causes peoples' computers to slow down.

It isn't the registry getting bigger though.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

It is not fake news at all. It should be pretty common knowledge in the jailbreaking scene from a few years ago. Did you see my Quora link?

You mean the link you claimed to have written yourself, which also contains no evidence for its statements, and didn't even get the frequency of the processor correct?

The iPhone 2G had a 412MHz processor*, not 600MHz, and I can find no evidence that it was later overclocked to 800MHz.

*To be more precise, it had a Samsung 1176JZ(F)-S which was a 620MHz processor but Apple underclocked it to 412MHz for the iPhone for power and thermal reasons.

49 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I remember having that issue a long time ago, but even when I had my Samsung F3 as my boot drive (fantastic drive by the way, still got it in my system ~7 years later) I didn't have that issue.

I really think it is fragmentation, more programs running at startup, and things like that which causes peoples' computers to slow down.

You mean the link you claimed to have written yourself, which also contains no evidence for its statements, and didn't even get the frequency of the processor correct?

The iPhone 2G had a 412MHz processor*, not 600MHz, and I can find no evidence that it was later overclocked to 800MHz.

*To be more precise, it had a Samsung 1176JZ(F)-S which was a 620MHz processor but Apple underclocked it to 412MHz for the iPhone for power and thermal reasons.

You just said yourself it was underclocked, maybe I did get them a bit wrong but they undid the underclock over updates. It was downclocked in power manageement in the startup.

Also note that the iPhone 2G is 532MHz, as with the iPod Touch 2G. (I refer to the iPhone 3G as 2G, because of the model release, and I do not mean the iPhone 1G, although they have the same processor they were released with different speeds - this i'm sure leads to some confusion, but the clock speed doesn't matter regarding the overclocking Apple did).

See this: http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/05/19/the-jbnator-diaries-overclocking-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

It isn't really an overclock but more or less undoing the downclocking. Over the updates I noticed that Apple edited the file on their own and by iOS 4.2.1 the processor was working at 620MHz out of the box.

You can also set this a different way using the fstab file in later iPhone versions as well.

Theres also no reason to be to blunt and deny what I say completely. It is just rude, rather than opening up dialogue.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

[...]

I don't think it's fragmentation, I never noticed a significant impact on speed due to it, be it negative by its presence or positive from removing it.  Could be more start up programs but I don't think it's that either; I've seen systems degrade massively over the course of a year without having any additional software installed that would run at start-up or logon.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.