Need some help with my i5 4690k Overclock

So I am very new to overclocking, having only tried manually pushing past stock clock speeds within the past 2 weeks. I am experiencing some disturbing temperatures at 4.4 ghz with a hyper 212 evo paired with a noctua nf-f12.

specs are as follows:

Motherboard: asrock z97 extreme4

CPU: i5 4690k

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO with noctua nf-f12

Memory: 4x4 Crucial Ballistix

GPUS: MSI  980 OC in SLI (yes they are bottlenecked by the cpu i know)

Power Supply: Corsair RM850

Case: thermaltake urban s71 

Case Fans:

Intake:200 mm thermaltake top and front

Exhaust: 120mm thermaltake rear mounted

Running positive case pressure with decent airflow paths, and core temp is reporting spikes up to 96 degrees while running aida64 on Core #0 only. Core #0 is averaging in the mid 80's The others are stable at more reasonable temps. Thermal paste is arctic silver and has been applied, cleaned with IPA and reapplied twice in the last few days. I suppose the thing I am most curious about is the delta between core0 and the others. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT:      Thank you everyone who commented, I really appreciate the input and prompt responses. you folks are amazing. this is my first time trying a forum out and i gotta say im impressed with the community feel. im not worried anymore, im just gonna dial back the OC and let it ride till i finish my new build. 

Screenshot (3).png

What did you set the voltage to in the bios?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

What did you set the voltage to in the bios?

Thanks for the quick reply, Voltage is set at 1.2 even. fan profiles are set to full speed for reasons that should be obvious, xmp is active, and cpu input voltage is 1.8 

what is package temps? perhaps try reseating cooler with fresh thermal paste, how old is the system?

6 minutes ago, skuul88 said:

Thanks for the quick reply, Voltage is set at 1.2 even. fan profiles are set to full speed for reasons that should be obvious, xmp is active, and cpu input voltage is 1.8 

(not a haswell expert, so take this with a grain of salt)

There are 2 factors I can think of here. First, your 212 evo isn't exactly very good for overclocking, and I can verify this first had. Second, the delta between the cores can be accounted for by bad TIM/TIM application between the die and the IHS. Unfortunately the latter can only be solved by a delid.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, ImNotThere said:

what is package temps? perhaps try reseating cooler with fresh thermal paste, how old is the system?

didnt measure package temp as i have been using core temp, the cooler has been removed and reseated 2 times in the last few days and the system is about 3 years old. ill run aida64 again and see what the package temp comes out to be in cpuid hwmonitor

Just now, skuul88 said:

didnt measure package temp as i have been using core temp, the cooler has been removed and reseated 2 times in the last few days and the system is about 3 years old. ill run aida64 again and see what the package temp comes out to be in cpuid hwmonitor

just know that the cores will fluctuate as they get "more difficult work" so the package temp is normally the better thing to go off of, if i remember 4th gen wasnt soldered? i could be wrong, im not calling for a delid here but id say dial back by 100 mhz and bring the voltage down a lil till its stable at the lowest possible voltage

What's your ambient and core temps, voltage, and is it just the frequency that was touched?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

(not a haswell expert, so take this with a grain of salt)

There are 2 factors I can think of here. First, your 212 evo isn't exactly very good for overclocking, and I can verify this first had. Second, the delta between the cores can be accounted for by bad TIM/TIM application between the die and the IHS. Unfortunately the latter can only be solved by a delid.

I want to delid this system, due in part to the fact that I am building a new pc soon. i figured that may be the case with the extreme delta. thanks for the info, looks like Ill be dropping back down to a 4.0 or so.

31 minutes ago, skuul88 said:

So I am very new to overclocking, having only tried manually pushing past stock clock speeds within the past 2 weeks. I am experiencing some disturbing temperatures at 4.4 ghz with a hyper 212 evo paired with a noctua nf-f12.

specs are as follows:

Motherboard: asrock z97 extreme4

CPU: i5 4690k

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO with noctua nf-f12

Memory: 4x4 Crucial Ballistix

GPUS: MSI  980 OC in SLI (yes they are bottlenecked by the cpu i know)

Power Supply: Corsair RM850

Case: thermaltake urban s71 

Case Fans:

Intake:200 mm thermaltake top and front

Exhaust: 120mm thermaltake rear mounted

Running positive case pressure with decent airflow paths, and core temp is reporting spikes up to 96 degrees while running aida64 on Core #0 only. Core #0 is averaging in the mid 80's The others are stable at more reasonable temps. Thermal paste is arctic silver and has been applied, cleaned with IPA and reapplied twice in the last few days. I suppose the thing I am most curious about is the delta between core0 and the others. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Screenshot (3).png

I Think your biggest issue is getting a K series chip with an air cooler. I know the 212 is great but you should really have a liquid cooler for milder temps 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

What's your ambient and core temps, voltage, and is it just the frequency that was touched?

ambient is 75f, core temps are in the screenshot, max of 96 on core#0, and the rest are at reasonable temps in the 70s, its an all core OC of 4.4 im just gonna dial back the OC to 4.0 and let it ride till i get my new system built. thanks for commenting though, I appreciate everyone's interest in my little build.

3 minutes ago, skuul88 said:

ambient is 75f, core temps are in the screenshot, max of 96 on core#0, and the rest are at reasonable temps in the 70s, its an all core OC of 4.4 im just gonna dial back the OC to 4.0 and let it ride till i get my new system built. thanks for commenting though, I appreciate everyone's interest in my little build.

Does your motherboard allow per core OC? You can set all of your cores to 44 and the #0 to 40. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Does your motherboard allow per core OC? You can set all of your cores to 44 and the #0 to 40. 

it does, but im just gonna let it ride like i said. 4.0 is fine i still get 130 fps in rainbow six siege at 1440p and high detail so im straight... thanks tho

1 hour ago, CaZowski said:

I Think your biggest issue is getting a K series chip with an air cooler. I know the 212 is great but you should really have a liquid cooler for milder temps 

my next build is going to be a custom loop in a caselabs magnum sma8 so im not worried about this one anymore. im not gonna bother with an AIO. thats a hundred bucks better spent on fittings and pipe. i really appreciate everyone in this thread. ive never posted in any forum before so this has been eye opening. LTT folks are the best