Roller coaster Transfer speeds?

Vengeance_K1ng
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

File transfer speed is greatly affected by how many files you're transferring. Every file the system has to process is overhead. When you have 10,000+ files, this adds up.

Let's say for instance you have a hard drive with 3ms average seek time but can get up 200MB/s. Assuming the worst case scenario, if you transfer 10,000 files totaling 1GB, you have 30 seconds of seek time overhead added on to your 5 seconds of file transferring. And I don't know what the file system overhead processing time would add, but you should get the idea.

Hey guys, This has been happening to me for a while now, And i finally thought i'd get some insight about it;

When ever I transfer things from SSHD to SSHD i get this funky pattern of transfer speeds.

If you need any more info, I'll gladly provide.

Capture.PNG

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

It's normal, especially on SSHDs where it caches some of the information to make it get a speed bump.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

File transfer speed is greatly affected by how many files you're transferring. Every file the system has to process is overhead. When you have 10,000+ files, this adds up.

Let's say for instance you have a hard drive with 3ms average seek time but can get up 200MB/s. Assuming the worst case scenario, if you transfer 10,000 files totaling 1GB, you have 30 seconds of seek time overhead added on to your 5 seconds of file transferring. And I don't know what the file system overhead processing time would add, but you should get the idea.

Too bad I cant mark two answers as the solution. Thanks you two.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition