Weird port on Dell Laptop Dock

Hi, i have been looking at a dell dock so that i can have a working ethernet on my Dell Latitude E6520.  i am looking at the ports and notice a weird port all the way on the left of the dock.  Does anyone know what it is?  on the site it lists one port as a E/Bay connector.  

28 minutes ago, Dudefoxlive said:

Hi, i have been looking at a dell dock so that i can have a working ethernet on my Dell Latitude E6520.  i am looking at the ports and notice a weird port all the way on the left of the dock.  Does anyone know what it is?  on the site it lists one port as a E/Bay connector.  

It's for DELL's E-monitor stand.

19 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

It's for DELL's E-monitor stand.

Why does it need it's own port for a stand?  The stand does not include a monitor.

You can probably get these used a hell of  a lot cheaper on ebay. I got a couple for 10$, and locally I bought one for 5$

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well either way i now know what that port is for.  once i get one i can finally use the ethernet port on it because the one on the laptop i have now does not work correctly.

24 minutes ago, Dudefoxlive said:

Why does it need it's own port for a stand?  The stand does not include a monitor.

When you use the monitor stand, and thus an external monitor, you're supposed to put the laptop in the dock with the lid closed, so it takes less space, you're using a external screen anyway.

Because the lid is closed you no longer have access to certain functions such as the power button, so a power button (and possibly some other controls, I don't remember) are on the monitor stand. That connector carries the required signals for that.

1 hour ago, Dudefoxlive said:

Well either way i now know what that port is for.  once i get one i can finally use the ethernet port on it because the one on the laptop i have now does not work correctly.

Often dock Ethernet ports are just passthrough for the internal NIC. So if there are issues with ethernet a dock may not help.

16 hours ago, argyle said:

Often dock Ethernet ports are just passthrough for the internal NIC. So if there are issues with ethernet a dock may not help.

i know it is some hardware problem with the port it self.  i think the person who owned this laptop before me had a child that played rough with the laptop because many of the keys on the keyboard were broken and some of the membranes were broken off as well.  the ethernet port is also i believe damaged because some routers it works and others it does not.  also if i just touch the cable it acts like i unplugged the cable and plugged it back in many times.   i think the port is just damaged.

20 hours ago, Unimportant said:

When you use the monitor stand, and thus an external monitor, you're supposed to put the laptop in the dock with the lid closed, so it takes less space, you're using a external screen anyway.

Because the lid is closed you no longer have access to certain functions such as the power button, so a power button (and possibly some other controls, I don't remember) are on the monitor stand. That connector carries the required signals for that.

yes i know the dock is suppost to connect to the laptop but i am talking about the monitor stand accessory.  Why does that have to connect to the dock?  the stand does not include from what it looks like any electronic parts.

1 minute ago, Dudefoxlive said:

yes i know the dock is suppost to connect to the laptop but i am talking about the monitor stand accessory.  Why does that have to connect to the dock?  the stand does not include from what it looks like any electronic parts.

The extra controls such as the power button are on the monitor stand, because you only close the laptop's lid when you use a external monitor.

1 minute ago, Unimportant said:

The extra controls such as the power button are on the monitor stand, because you only close the laptop's lid when you use a external monitor.

i could not find an image with the front so that makes some more sense.  still i dont need the monitor stand so i am just happy to get it because i would have a working ethernet port again.  and extra ports like P/S2 because i like my IMB Model M.

4 minutes ago, Dudefoxlive said:

i could not find an image with the front so that makes some more sense. 

Here's an image I found, you can clearly see the power and eject buttons on the top right of the monitor stand.

Dell%20E-Monitor%20Stand-Dock.JPG?auc=14

Just now, Unimportant said:

Here's an image I found, you can clearly see the power and eject buttons on the top right of the monitor stand.

Dell%20E-Monitor%20Stand-Dock.JPG?auc=14

i can see the use in it for businesses.  as for a standalone user like me i dont need it nor do i have the room for it on my desk.  still at least dell makes accessories for there accessories.