Upgrade from i7 4770K to something AMD?

so as the title says.

Currently running an i7 4770K with 16GB Ram, some SSDs and a GTX1080.

Would I see any benefit from upgrading? No content creation, mainly gaming (from demanding AAA titles to the more basic or more dated games) 

I am just wondering if it would be worth it for me atm to upgrade something from the new AMD line-up (Ryzen/Threadripper), however I seem to gather that Threadripper would be somewhat overkill for normal gaming uses.

Thanks for your input!

let me give you a million dollar suggestion, keep quiet til next year, dont even think of upgrade now since you got an i7 already. get intel's new 8core mainstream whatever coming at next year or amd zen+ depend on how good they perform comparing with intel. that will be best upgrade. 

17 minutes ago, Coolingthunder said:

so as the title says.

Would I see any benefit from upgrading? No content creation, mainly gaming (from demanding AAA titles to the more basic or more dated games) 

I am just wondering if it would be worth it for me atm to upgrade something from the new AMD line-up (Ryzen/Threadripper), however I seem to gather that Threadripper would be somewhat overkill for normal gaming uses.

Thanks for your input!

well whats your reason for wanting to upgrade?

what apps are you running that are bottlenecked by your i7 ?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Ryzen is not for gaming builds, it is for workstation/productivity builds which can also game on.

If high fps is what you want going from the 4770k to the 8600k or 8700k makes more sense than a Ryzen 7

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Fardin said:

Ice Lake is only coming around November of 2018, so it is a whole year of wait for essentially the i7 8700k with 2 extra cores that games won't be using any ways, if you don't need the multi-tasking there's not really the point.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ice Lake is only coming around November of 2018, so it is a whole year of wait for essentially the i7 8700k with 2 extra cores.

yeah i know the waiting a bit long but if he is not facing any performance issue, maybe it worth the wait. also 8700k became scarce or higher priced now. but it's definitely an upgrade as well.  

The older haswell i7s are still good CPUs for gaming and I see no reason to upgrade. If you wanted to upgrade, maybey the i5-8600k/i7-8700k would make more sense in terms of an upgrade. Judging from your current hardware, it is still a good configuration for gaming.

Threadripper is better optimised towards workloads that depend upon utilizing lots of cores/threads, as for gaming, threadripper isnt meant for this task, ryzen would make more sense for a "gaming" CPU. And threadripper costs more as well as X399 motherboards.

Just now, Fardin said:

Yeah Intel is just dumb, has a shit load of stocked i7 7700k nobody wants any more, so they are manufacturing a stupidly low amount Coffee Lake until by the middle of November to try getting rid of some of it yet, now imagine this happens with Ice Lake as well we are likely to see the i7 9700k 8c/16t has only a paper launch as well on November and only becomes truly available in 2019.

Personal Desktop":

26 minutes ago, Coolingthunder said:

so as the title says.

Thanks for your input!

I think you should be fine with your I7 & if your not doing content creation maybe go to coffee lake for only gaming though.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yeah Intel is just dumb, has a shit load of stocked i7 7700k nobody wants any more, so they are manufacturing a stupidly low amount Coffee Lake until by the middle of November to try getting rid of some of it yet, now imagine this happens with Ice Lake as well we are likely to see the i7 9700k 8c/16t has only a paper launch as well on November and only becomes truly available in 2019.

haha i totally agree. the paper launch goes well with intel. probably a good idea to get 8700k after the price hikes goes down. in my place, we have 8700k & 8100, 8350k available with msrp, but they don't sell spare cpu, they put condition like have to purchase the cpu with whole build only.  

33 minutes ago, Coolingthunder said:

so as the title says.

Thanks for your input!

we have the same setup, i do high-end gaming (1440p 144hz Gsync and Virtual Reality) and in no situation is my CPU holding me back in any way shape or form...i'm always 100% GPU limited in everything i play and it will remain that way for at least 1 more generation of graphics cards...upgrading from that CPU for gaming is pointless...completely pointless...hold on to it, it's an epic CPU for gaming, probably even faster than a Ryzen in most if not all games...especially if you have it overclocked a bit,...mine is running at 4.2ghz and i'm perfectly happy with it...if you have money burning your pockets, get an Oculus Rift instead...best tech purchase i've done in my whole life...VR gaming is AMAZING.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, Fardin said:

Here in Brazil I have found every CL CPU including the i5 8600k for msrp, the only one that is in complete shortage not available every where is the bloody i7 8700k which is the only one I'm interested on [:

Personal Desktop":

Me personally I am waiting for DDR5 to roll out. I also have a 4770k and just put in my 1080ti last night and honestly during gameplay do not see an issue. I am sure if I focus on metrics alone then sure I may say well i want more FPS... However, it hasn't hindered my gaming experience yet. So instead of spending money on a 8700k I am investing in a good water cooling system of OC my 4770k that I can carry over to my new system when DDR5 comes out. 

1 hour ago, Coolingthunder said:

so as the title says.

Thanks for your input!

No. You would likely get identical if not worse gaming performance going from your CPU to ryzen. If you want a new CPU the 8700k and 8600k are both decent upgrades for gaming. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

Allright, I guess that's a pretty clear cut answer, thanks guys! I was playing with the idea to upgrade because I am having some hardware issues (which I think are MoBo-related, not sure yet) and figured that if it would come to me having to get a new mobo or something, to see if it would make sense to just change out the whole lot while I'm at it. For now then back to troubleshooting, and if it would come down to a replacement,  just get a cheapo one to hold me over until next year.