RAM crashing Windows and not going to its real frequency

Hey guys,

So, I just upgraded my old FX8320E to a brand new Ryzen 5 1600X.

With it I got a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming and two stick of Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2400Mhz RAM.

After a little initial troubleshooting of some constant BSOD, I finally got it all up to speed.

Nice. Or so I thought.

Even though my RAM sticks are 2400Mhz they just keep runing at 2133Mhz.

So I did with any of us would do, went into the BIOS and enabled XMP (Oh, and the first time I also did a little overclocking, but soon undid it, because it wouldn't even post).
It was all going according to the plan, as soon as I hit the desktop.

It would start to load but as soon as I did ANYTHING like opening Task Manager (and sometimes even when doing nothing) the screen would go completely black.
The PC didn't turn off or reset, it just went completely dark, no cursor, no desktop, no nothing, as if my monitors were turned off.

I did everything I could think of - even going as far as clearing the CMOS and reloading an old BIOS profile, but it just wouldn't stick.

I got it up and running again when I turned XMP off and the RAM went back to that slow frequency. That happenend when I reloaded the "Last Known Good" profile from the BIOS.

I know that Ryzen makes really good use of high frequency RAM so I really wanted to overclock it a little, but what could I be doing wrong?
My goal would be to reach somewhere between 2800Mhz and 2999Mhz, but if I can't go that far I would settle for the 2400Mhz which I payed for already.

I've attached a couple of images showing all of my computer's information. It's running on Gigabyte's latest drivers, F7a.
I'm also running a 600W EVGA PSU and an XFX RX480 8GB
Any help? Advice?

Thank you!

CPU.PNG

Graphics.PNG

Mainboard.PNG

Memory.PNG

RAM.PNG

Maybe try loosening up those timings on the RAM so like over 18-18-18-36 and try again, whats the RAM voltage?

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Did you updated the motherbard UIFI? Since due the new architechture of Ryzen and it's RAM problems on launch it's required to update the motherboard BIOS/UIFI (are you on BIOS vers.: F7a  ?) 

EDIT: Sorry didn't read carefuly enough

Hm ... your motherboard doesn't like your RAM, I guess you have to loosen timings or get other RAM with Samsung B-die prefered eventhough they are expensive they still perform best on AM4.

I think I had luck that I can run my G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-38 (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB), (not Samsung B-die) with the regular 3200Mhz CL16 just fine on my ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac since these were at least somewhat affordable.

have you tried giving the RAM and IMC more voltage?

it should work at 2400 with no issues, but maybe you got unlucky with your IMC.

@MageTank is good at this stuff. maybe he can help

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

8 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

have you tried giving the RAM and IMC more voltage?

it should work at 2400 with no issues, but maybe you got unlucky with your IMC.

@MageTank is good at this stuff. maybe he can help

I tried overvolting the RAM a little, but it crashed right after.

I think it was on 1.30V and it didn't even post. :(

8 hours ago, Narnash said:

Did you updated the motherbard UIFI? Since due the new architechture of Ryzen and it's RAM problems on launch it's required to update the motherboard BIOS/UIFI (are you on BIOS vers.: F7a  ?) 

EDIT: Sorry didn't read carefuly enough

Hm ... your motherboard doesn't like your RAM, I guess you have to loosen timings or get other RAM with Samsung B-die prefered eventhough they are expensive they still perform best on AM4.

I think I had luck that I can run my G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-38 (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB), (not Samsung B-die) with the regular 3200Mhz CL16 just fine on my ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac since these were at least somewhat affordable.

So I should change the sticks all together?

Well,

I tried enabling XMP again, but this time overvolting a little, to 1.30V, and it still isn't working :(

Is changing the RAM altogether really the only solution?

• 1 month later...