Which PS4 is Recommended?

ThatSoundGuy
Go to solution Solved by Colty,

I have both. I would say get the Pro for the "future proofing" of the 4k features. The games you mentioned do look better on the Pro even on a 1080p display due to super sampling. I would also recommend you look up the digital foundry PS4 Pro vs PS4 comparisons for all of those games. It really comes down to how much you want to spend though. For me, it would be worth it, you have to decide for yourself though. That said, definitely get a slim if you get a non-Pro version. 

Which PS4 would you recommend someone to get if they had these 'criteria'? (This person is me in this case but this can be applied to anyone who has similar tastes.

TV: I have a 1080p TV and a 2.5K 23' monitor

Games: I mainly want to play Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, and maybe some Uncharted (Mainly PS4 exclusives)

Needs: I would like to have a 60fps frame rate, or even 30 (since I'm used to that on my old ps3 which got the red light of death, resting in pepperonis)

Don't really care about 4K that much, but I might be looking into VR in the future.

This PlayStation would simply just used to play those three games, I play everything else on my PC. Media consumption maybe, not that big of a factor either for me.

What do you think?

just get the normal one.

unless you want PSVR

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

For someone who cares a lot about having a better PS4, the Pro is worth it.  But in your case, if you just want to play some Uncharted and Horizon, no need to overspend (unless budget is not an issue)

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

PS4 Pro since it looks like you want a better, higher or more stable, frame rate. Bear in mind that Pro support for that is case by case. You mention the Sony published games, which are like the flagships of the platform, so they have support and have different modes, including one that favors performance. The higher res modes do apply to you as well, but it'll be down sampled to 1080p, so it'd be like a brute force anti-aliasing. I have a 4K TV, but I typically opt for the performance mode since unstable framerate bugs me more than some jaggies.

9 minutes ago, ono said:

PS4 Pro since it looks like you want a better, higher or more stable, frame rate. Bear in mind that Pro support for that is case by case. You mention the Sony published games, which are like the flagships of the platform, so they have support and have different modes, including one that favors performance. The higher res modes do apply to you as well, but it'll be down sampled to 1080p, so it'd be like a brute force anti-aliasing. I have a 4K TV, but I typically opt for the performance mode since unstable framerate bugs me more than some jaggies.

What's the framerate on average in those three games I mentioned? Is it pretty noticeably stuttery? (Found a new PS4 Pro for 280$ so budget isn't a huge issue.) @ono @minervx

27 minutes ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

What's the framerate on average in those three games I mentioned? Is it pretty noticeably stuttery? (Found a new PS4 Pro for 280$ so budget isn't a huge issue.) @ono @minervx

Some links below for Horizon, The Last of Us, and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Ought to have comparisons of vanilla vs pro to help make your decision if those extra frames are worth it.

The previous gen remasters (The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3) target 60 fps (or 30 fps depending on mode), while the current gen games target 30 fps (Horizon, Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy). For the games I played, Horizon and Uncharted 4, they played smoothly. Actually, I played Uncharted 4 on vanilla.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-last-of-us-remastered-patch-108-for-ps4-pro-analysed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-tech-analysis

I have an original and a pro. my recommendation is get the slim and 1tb hard drive the original hads issues and they are gone with the slim refresh and I don't notice anything different. (my pro sometimes can make games look better then on my pc) @ThatSoundGuy I have a similar spec PC to you.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:53 PM, ThatSoundGuy said:

I have a PS4 Slim and the framerates in the games you mention are:

Uncharted 1-3: 60 fps

The Last of Us Remastered: 60 fps

Uncharted 4: 30 fps

Horizon Zero Dawn: 30 fps

Uncharted 1-3 doesn't have a Pro patch so they run the same on both consoles. In The Last of Us the Pro will render at 1800p vs the Slim rendering at 1080p. In Uncharted 4 the Pro renders at 1440p while the Slim does 1080p. I can't remember if Horizon Zero Dawn renders at 1800p or 1440p on the Pro, while it renders at 1080p on the Slim. The Pro also has better texture filtering than the Slim in Horizon Zero Dawn. All six of those games have great frame pacing on the Slim, so the framerates are very steady on it (I have played through all of those games and I highly recommend each).

There are a few other games you should check the reviews of at least to see if you're interested. Bloodborne is IMO the best game on the PS4, and the best Souls game IMO. Plus it's really cheap. Persona 5 is a great old school turn based RPG. Yakuza 0 is worth checking out, it's pretty funny. NieR Automata is incredible, but that's also on PC and the PC version is definitely better since you can run it at a locked 60 fps with a GTX 970 or better while PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro have lots of frame drops (though the Pro is a lot better than the Slim from what I have heard when it comes to that game). PS4 has some awesome side scrolling beat em ups like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and the upcoming Dragon's Crown (I have that one on PS3 and it's amazing, it comes out for PS4 in January).

I have both. I would say get the Pro for the "future proofing" of the 4k features. The games you mentioned do look better on the Pro even on a 1080p display due to super sampling. I would also recommend you look up the digital foundry PS4 Pro vs PS4 comparisons for all of those games. It really comes down to how much you want to spend though. For me, it would be worth it, you have to decide for yourself though. That said, definitely get a slim if you get a non-Pro version.