how to stop a DDOS attack?

Cookiecrumbles222
Just now, KuJoe said:

Switch to better, more secure software like Discord. It's free and it doesn't leak your IP address. Oh course, none of this matters if your ISP won't change your IP.

ya ;( im pretty much just completely fucked arent i

1 minute ago, Strayuru said:

Take a pcap/TCP Dump to find the source and block all requests via your firewall. This may need to be done at the router level.

Most "stress testers" will often just use the same port repeatedly, so dropping all connections to that should suffice.

how do i do that?

Just now, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

ya ;( im pretty much just completely fucked arent i

It sounds like it. If you stop talking with those "friends" then they'll get bored and stop harassing you eventually though.

-KuJoe

I would also suggest to leave teamspeak and use discord instead. 

It's as good as teamspeak but u have a normal chat and screen sharing too. 

You can change you IP, and get a VPN which is a "Virtual private network." This 'masks' your ip address. 

Just now, Imperatus said:

I would also suggest to leave teamspeak and use discord instead. 

It's as good as teamspeak but u have a normal chat and screen sharing. 

discord dosent work well for me for a lot of reasons but thanks thoe!

Take a pcap/TCP Dump to find the source and block all requests via your firewall. This may need to be done at the router level.

Most "stress testers" will often just use the same port repeatedly, so dropping all connections to that should suffice.

I wish this would work, but it won't unless the "stresser" being used is programmed by a moron (which it very well could be) who didn't take into account that their attack might actually work.

-KuJoe

Just now, fpo said:

You can change you IP, and get a VPN which is a "Virtual private network." This 'masks' your ip address. 

i know about vpns but it slows my internet conntection by a lot, is there a way to just put a vpn on teamspeak?

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I wish this would work, but it won't unless the "stresser" being used is programmed by a moron (which it very well could be) who didn't take into account that their attack might actually work.

Either that or the fact that the user is a moron and selected a single port. This paired with the possibility that the actual "stresser" uses legitimate IP addresses (which any legitimate business should be doing) then it should be easy to prevent.

Bespoke Software Engineer

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

2 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

i know about vpns but it slows my internet conntection by a lot, is there a way to just put a vpn on teamspeak?

It may be better to 1, banhammer, 2, call police, 3 find a way to vpn only on teamspeak. 

There should be a way to mask your IP for certain programs. 

5 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

how do i do that?

It depends on your router/set-up. Google "How to packet capture on my router" or something to that effect.

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

Also there should be programs that block excessive pings from the same IP. You may be able to block connection from the DDOS website. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Also there should be programs that block excessive pings from the same IP. You may be able to block connection from the DDOS website. 

where can a find a program like this

Either that or the fact that the user is a moron and selected a single port. This paired with the possibility that the actual "stresser" uses legitimate IP addresses (which any legitimate business should be doing) then it should be easy to prevent.

You would need to block the traffic upstream, I don't know what kind of network connection the OP has but even dropping the packets at the router will saturate his uplink. If the kid harassing him sees that he's still online he's just going to keep kicking off the attack even if the stresser website says it's offline.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, fpo said:

It will still saturate his uplink. No firewall or software on his network will stop the attack or minimize its effect if the attacker still knows he's online.

-KuJoe

Pulling aside everything else, if you're genuine friends, would you think he'd want to harm you?

Hue hue hue.

2 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

I don't know, but in this rant video he mentions it. 

(Barnacules Nerdgasm DDOSING isn't hacking)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiP746LrunWAhWEz4MKHVv7D5AQyCkIKjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRe7eSmjFgV4&usg=AOvVaw2rsE_MJ6fAhrRbC4I3bwyh

He notes that if it's multiple computers "on a bot network" it won't appear abnormal, however when there's soooo many pinging it will overload networks. Since you may not be expecting a lot of pings, you may be better off blocking most things pinging you when you don't expect anything. 

Just now, sevablue said:

Pulling aside everything else, if you're genuine friends, would you think he'd want to harm you?

I don't think so, but it'd be kinda annoying. 

It's just a pointless jab to irritate someone. 

5 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

You can't. No such silver bullet exists.

13 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

Just host your TS server on a dedicated server outside of your actual home network and they will take care of the ddos attack for you

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Just host your TS server on a dedicated server outside of your actual home network and they will take care of the ddos attack for you

He is, apparently TeamSpeak is leaking his IP somehow.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Ah... then yeah... use Discord or get a VPN, as has been mentioned.

16 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

You can right click on users and show their IPs with default TS Security settings.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

You can right click on users and show their IPs with default TS Security settings.

Really? I can see why Discord was able to take over so easily now.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Really? I can see why Discord was able to take over so easily now.

Don't get me wrong, TS is great. You can get incredibly in-depth with security settings, and you can make the voice quality better than Discord by a noticeable margin. Discord took over because it's literally no work and has a web client.

Edit: And because it has a fantastic mobile client, while TS' is shit.