New Build Recommendations please?

CapnCrunch92

Hello everyone,

So I don't really know where to start but I suppose I'll start with "Hi I'm new to this forum and don't yell at me too hard if I've posted in the wrong area please."

Anyhow I'm in the process of building a computer piece by piece and would like a bit of assistance. My thought process was since I'm needing to build this rig piece by piece... I'm trying to get cheaper components to get it up and going and then once I have the computer "complete" I intend on upgrading this rig and potentially throwing my old hardware into another PC.

The parts that I currently have are a EVGA 850 BQ power supply(overkill I know but like I said... expanding and I got it cheap), and an NZXT s340 Elite case...

Now as far as what I'm wanting to do is basically build a Ryzen computer capable of like... 1080p gaming?...

First question would be... fans... there are the two stock fans for the s340 elite for exhaust but I'm wanting to throw either an NZXT Kraken x62(rev 2) or 2 140mm fans in it... what are some recommendations? Also feel free to ask other questions so I can try to get as educated as possible while I'm piecing this together.

:D Thanks in advace!!

Why Ryzen tho

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

best to save your money up and buy components all together unless something has a freak price drop, because jump on that and hope the seller makes good on it... but you tend to end up with a worse system, or spending more, by buying things piece by piece

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

24 minutes ago, JDE said:

Why Ryzen tho

Because from what I've done research on... it's kind of a jack of all trades whilst simultaneously keeping prices cheaper than Intel. Also I'm starting a brand new build with literally no compatible parts from my previous computer. I want to do a bit of gaming, while trying to pursue my hobby of dabbling in different things like programming, video editing, blah blah blah... so this just seems like the winner in my book.

19 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

Hello everyone,

So I don't really know where to start but I suppose I'll start with "Hi I'm new to this forum and don't yell at me too hard if I've posted in the wrong area please."

Anyhow I'm in the process of building a computer piece by piece and would like a bit of assistance. My thought process was since I'm needing to build this rig piece by piece... I'm trying to get cheaper components to get it up and going and then once I have the computer "complete" I intend on upgrading this rig and potentially throwing my old hardware into another PC.

The parts that I currently have are a EVGA 850 BQ power supply(overkill I know but like I said... expanding and I got it cheap), and an NZXT s340 Elite case...

Now as far as what I'm wanting to do is basically build a Ryzen computer capable of like... 1080p gaming?...

First question would be... fans... there are the two stock fans for the s340 elite for exhaust but I'm wanting to throw either an NZXT Kraken x62(rev 2) or 2 140mm fans in it... what are some recommendations? Also feel free to ask other questions so I can try to get as educated as possible while I'm piecing this together.

:D Thanks in advace!!

If youre trying to save a few bucks go with ryzen 1600, Its a good cpu with a solid upgrade path and you honestly shouldnt have to upgrade for quite a few years.  Then get what ever graphics card you can afford BUT DONT PAY TOO MUCH!! the graphics card industry is wack right now so Id hate to see you pay double for a low end card, so make sure you compare whate youd be actually paying with the MSRP.  Its ok to pay alittle over MSRP but I wouldnt pay more than 20-30 dollars more.  Last I checked the 1050ti was a a good choice for 1080p, you might have to lower some setting here and there but thats no biggy imho.

However, Intel coffee lake is definitely better for gaming but its more expensive for the same number of threads and Im a thread kind of guy.  Those new i5's are compelling as well but less threads.  Also, price/performance is better with intel coffee lake but it is more expensive overall.   honestly, youll have a great gaming experience with either platform and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. (note: coffee lake is having supply issues from what I understand so I might be hard to get a hold of an 8th gen intel chip ATM)

The NZXT kraken is probably my favorite AIO cooler but its REALLY expensive for my blood, itll do good by you tho.  personally, Id go with the 2 case fans and get a much cheaper cpu cooler.  Youll probably have no issues either way tho tbh.  The kraken would be better for overclocking I assume due to cooler temps.

Lastly, ssd's are the shit.  Get one.

8 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

Because from what I've done research on... it's kind of a jack of all trades whilst simultaneously keeping prices cheaper than Intel. Also I'm starting a brand new build with literally no compatible parts from my previous computer. I want to do a bit of gaming, while trying to pursue my hobby of dabbling in different things like programming, video editing, blah blah blah... so this just seems like the winner in my book.

good thinking

In my original thread I made a general posting. Now I'm here to ask for advice on building a Ryzen PC. Since I'm piecing the whole thing together I would prefer to stay in the 3 or 5 category. If I could get some help understanding the difference between the X models vs the others would be a bonus. Like originally I was planning on going with a 1500x just cause I figured the X meant it was better but then I started second guessing myself and am wondering if I should go with the 1600 or the 1600x? 

xD HELP PLEASE

35 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

With new Coffee Lake, I can't recommend Ryzen for gaming.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

With new Coffee Lake, I can't recommend Ryzen for gaming.

At $400 I'd rather go with an 1800x

What's your budget.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

What's your budget.

At the moment I'm piecing it together so... I want to stay in the cheaper range but this is my theoretical build on PCPartPicker 

Ryzen Build

Note I already have the power supply and the case so ignore the case in my build. I keep it there for reference

2 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

Over an 8700k? The 8700k is pretty much similar multi threaded performance while having vastly better single threaded performance and is cheaper.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

At the moment I'm piecing it together so... I want to stay in the cheaper range but this is my theoretical build on PCPartPicker 

Ryzen Build

Note I already have the power supply and the case so ignore the case in my build. I keep it there for reference

This build is super unbalanced. You're buying a CPU cooler almost as costly as the CPU itself, you're paying $100 extra on ram, you're getting an NVMe ssd with a 1050 ti, and case could be cheaper.

Is your budget $1100 or so? I could make a pc list for that much with a 1600 or 8400 and a GTX 1070 or 1080

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

Ryzen Build

What is this for? why such a low-power GPU?

if you really want gaming performance, then don't get an AIO, use the stock cooler, and buy a 1060 6GB

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

What is this for? why such a low-power GPU?

if you really want gaming performance, then don't get an AIO, use the stock cooler, and buy a 1060 6GB

Get this:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($163.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($399.89 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1075.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-08 15:34 EDT-0400

Desktop:

Laptop:

- Threads Merged -

Please keep same topic discussions in the same thread.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Get this:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($194.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($163.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($399.89 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1075.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-08 15:34 EDT-0400

Thanks for the feedback. Some of the stuff was for later on down the road. Take for instance the AIO and that beefy graphics card you suggested lol. But I did notice on my build however that the memory I had on partpicker was not priced the same as I had found on Amazon, however the memory you linked is cheaper and looks better. I have a question about the SSD though. So my motherboard has an M.2 slot and I was intending on basically loading up my OS and just a few things on it like Visual Studio and MAYBE some games on it. What's wrong with m.2 ssd vs a 2.5" ssd? other than extra cables or the showing it off on the front of my case? Also super sorry if I seem like an ass but I'm new to this whole thing and this is going to be my first build.

Also can you or someone else explain the me the differences in the different ryzen CPU's? I see the clock scores and core/thread counts and stuff but a lot of that is gibberish to me.

1 hour ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

No.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

56 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Some of the stuff was for later on down the road. Take for instance the AIO and that beefy graphics card you suggested lol. But I did notice on my build however that the memory I had on partpicker was not priced the same as I had found on Amazon, however the memory you linked is cheaper and looks better. I have a question about the SSD though. So my motherboard has an M.2 slot and I was intending on basically loading up my OS and just a few things on it like Visual Studio and MAYBE some games on it. What's wrong with m.2 ssd vs a 2.5" ssd? other than extra cables or the showing it off on the front of my case? Also super sorry if I seem like an ass but I'm new to this whole thing and this is going to be my first build.

Also can you or someone else explain the me the differences in the different ryzen CPU's? I see the clock scores and core/thread counts and stuff but a lot of that is gibberish to me.

A powerful CPU will serve you much better than an aio. AIOs are generally only worth it if you're going high end.

As for ssd, sata drives are generally way cheaper.

As for differences in Ryzen CPUs, it's mainly cores and clock speeds. If you want an analogy, clock speeds are like how fast workers can work and cores are like how many workers there are. More of each is obviously better, but some tasks can't easily be spread across multiple workers or cores.

You may want to consider an i5 8400 though.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, CapnCrunch92 said:

There's no difference between an M.2 SSD and a SATA (2.5 Inch) SSD. the M.2 SSD you chose is actually much better, since it is NVME. however, unless you're handling stuff like 8K files in real-time, then you don't need it, and you can save an easy $40.

you don't seem like an ass at all. an ass would be refusing to listen to feedback, and demanding feedback that he won't listen to.

for the differences between Ryzen CPUs, this video might be helpful

basically, the 1200 and 1300X (Ryzen 3) have 4 cores, and 4 threads. the X on the 1300X basically means that it's a higher-clocked 1200.

the 1400 and 1500X (ryzen 5) are basically the same story, except with 4 cores, and 8 threads (basically hyperthreading). the 1500X is a higher-clocked 1400.

the 1600 and 1600X are also basically the same story, but with 6 cores, 12 threads. 1600X is a faster-clocked 1600.

X versions are usually not worth it unless you're not overclocking. however, you have a B350 boards, and I assume you plan to OC (which can be done pretty well on the Ryzen stock cooler), so you can easily get your 1600 past the 1600X stock speed.

Desktop:

Laptop: