DDR 3 Support

Hello my felloe PC enthusiasts.

I looking to revive an old System of Mine and since ram is really expensive AT the moment i wanted to reuse my old 16GB ddr3 Kit.

The question is what is the newest Generation CPU and mobo chipsets that still Support ddr3.

I am looking for something cheap in the midrange

3 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

Hello my felloe PC enthusiasts.

I looking to revive an old System of Mine and since ram is really expensive AT the moment i wanted to reuse my old 16GB ddr3 Kit.

The question is what is the newest Generation CPU and mobo chipsets that still Support ddr3.

I am looking for something cheap in the midrange

Desktop DDR3 isn't supported by any recent Intel or AMD CPU.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Haswell (4000 series) was the last to properly support it on the consumer side, but skylake could theoretically handle it if you got the right modules

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Desktop DDR3 isn't supported by any recent Intel or AMD CPU.

yeah, i know, but what is the most recent?

Here is a list of more-or-less ALL the good DDR3 mobos:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/overall-list/#L=3

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

You could try second hand haswell but tbh it would be worth just going with something modern. (Haswell is almost 5 years old)

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, Ruffleduffle said:

amd am3+ or earlier or intel 4000 or earlier. unless you have a mobo or cpu as well it doesn't make a lot of sense...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Haswell (4000 series) was the last to properly support it on the consumer side, but skylake could theoretically handle it if you got the right modules

Yeah, Skylake allows SO-DIMM DDR3 but OP likely doesn't have this.

4 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

AM3 from AMD or Broadwell (Desktop DDR3) from Intel.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Cyracus said:

amd am3+ or earlier or intel 4000 or earlier. unless you have a mobo or cpu as well it doesn't make a lot of sense...

i could use my i5 3570k and get an unlocked chipset to overclock it. ym current mobo's cmos flash is dead, that is why i am looking to upgrade

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

[...]

AM3 from AMD[...]

ew

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Personally id sell or trade in the DDR3 for funds and upgrade to a new platform if you can't wait for the latest coffee lake I5s then i'll just straight up buy a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU & 80 dollar motherboard if you aren't fan of the lower IPC wait for coffee lake it should be in stock in early 2018 otherwise go buy used but i don't think there are good options to be honest i would not pay 100 dollar for an old motherboard...

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ew

i think I am gonna go and look for used z77 boards to breathe a little live into my 3570k, that thing actually oc's quite nicely as I have heard. but those things go for lie 150EUR where i live

Edited by Ruffleduffle
same as below

4 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Personally id sell or trade in the DDR3 for funds and upgrade to a new platform if you can't wait for the latest coffee lake I5s then i'll just straight up buy a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU & 80 dollar motherboard if you aren't fan of the lower IPC wait for coffee lake it should be in stock in early 2018 otherwise go buy used but i don't think there are good options to be honest i would not pay 100 dollar for an old motherboard...

a replacement z77 is gonna cost em about 150bucks, i am not paying that much for an old used board

Edited by Ruffleduffle
got the model wrong

2 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

a replacement z99 is gonna cost em about 150bucks, i am not paying that much for an old used board

Go buy a new platform and build 

Used is ripoff

Just now, Redicat said:

Go buy a new platform and build 

Used is ripoff

yeah figured as much, at least i can keep ym harddrives, gpu and psu. (got a 1070 and a 650w pau from corasir)

6 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

yeah figured as much, at least i can keep ym harddrives, gpu and psu. (got a 1070 and a 650w pau from corasir)

nope you have to get new all the things xD

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Some skylake boards DO support DDR3, but it is very iffy, to say the least. Basically first generation of LGA1151 has some support, but it might be difficult to find the specs of the memory needed. I have heard low voltage memory, and have seen some that support it outright. If you find those boards, look into it, read reviews, and do your research. Something more stable would indeed be LGA1150 or AM3+. You could also go with a LGA 2011-0 build aka X79. The Xeon's for those are cheap, but the boards are not. You can grab a 6-8 core Xeon for roughly around $50-$100. The E5-1xxx support overclocking and are unlocked, and the E5-2xxx are locked, but have more cores and support dual cpu configurations. It's up to you, but I hope this info helps you in your research. Cheers!