CPU upgrade from 3570k? Ryzen/Coffee Lake

Go to solution Solved by AresKrieger,

For gaming 8700k not even a contest especially if you want to do 1080p 100+ fps

Also it is decent at other tasks trading blows with the 1800x in a lot of other tasks

Hey there guys, I've been looking to upgrade my CPU for a while as it seems to be bottlenecking a bit.

I currently have an i5-3570k OCed to 4.2ghz and a GTX 1070.

I've been considering buying a 1700x CPU for a while but I wasn't in a huge rush so figured I'd wait for Coffee Lake. I do game quite a bit but do also program a lot and started some light game design as well. I don't really do much if any rendering for that to be a huge huge factor in my choosing of a CPU but I do multi task a lot. I game on 1080p 144hz and have 2 more monitors on the side for other multitasking purposes. I often have ~100-200 tabs open(just a little bit excessive...) and quite a few programs open with my 3570k and it handles that for the most part.

I can play most games at decent settings but I've been noticing in quite a few games, I'm getting the same FPS if not worse with lower settings than my friends who have 1060s or 970s and slightly better CPUs. So I'm not sure if my CPU is dying on me or if it's something else as these aren't all CPU intensive games.

Budget isn't a huge issue but I'd rather not waste money, so what would the best choice be? 1700x, 1800x, 8700k, or something else? 

Thanks for the help.

Also it is decent at other tasks trading blows with the 1800x in a lot of other tasks

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

in my opinion do you do youtube 3d modeling video editing because i think the r7 is to powerful if your just gonna play games but if you do all the things i stated u should choose th r7 1700 not x the x version is not the best version of it but for me get an r5 1600 

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

PNY XLR-8 EPIC-X DDR4-3200 CL16 32GB

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

SAMSUNG 850 EVO, 2xSEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 1TB,A2000 1TB

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

Enermax Revolution DF 650W

MONITOR

MSI MAG272,LG 22MP68BQ,DELL D2015H

PERIPHIRALS

Ducky One 2 (HORIZON) || Glorious Model O- Pink || G305 || Razer Nari Essential || HyperX Cloud II

I have a Ryzen 1700 and when I saw the coffee lake stuff I almost shed a tear. Coffee Lake is an amazing value and I don't see much reason to buy Ryzen any more. Coffee lake seems to crush Ryzen in almost everything, it has much better IPC and they say 5Ghz is pretty easy to get on the k CPUs. So the 6 core i5 should be able to stomp all over the 8 core 1700X in most cases.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

not to fight you  but my opinion AMD is better in the bang for the buck i mean for a 6 core intel processor it's to expensive he should probably buy the r7

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

MONITOR

PERIPHIRALS

Ducky One 2 (HORIZON) || Glorious Model O- Pink || G305 || Razer Nari Essential || HyperX Cloud II

Just now, Fraser Cow said:

I have a Ryzen 1700 and when I saw the coffee lake stuff I almost shed a tear. Coffee Lake is an amazing value and I don't see much reason to buy Ryzen any more. Coffee lake seems to crush Ryzen in almost everything, it has much better IPC and they say 5Ghz is pretty easy to get on the k CPUs. So the 6 core i5 should be able to stomp all over the 8 core 1700X in most cases.

thw i7 covfefe lake is good but for 6 cores i personally think it's to expensive i know you're getting the features exclusive from intel but i think it depends on him

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

MONITOR

PERIPHIRALS

1 minute ago, truecrafting said:

not to fight you  but my opinion AMD is better in the bang for the buck i mean for a 6 core intel processor it's to expensive he should probably buy the r7

The i5 8600k is $50 cheaper than the Ryzen 1700 and it's faster 90% of the time if overclocked. It's really hard to recommend AMD now that intel has more cores.

Just now, truecrafting said:

He said money wasn't a huge issue and mentioned performance issues in gaming, and when it comes to gaming ryzen isn't great the intel cpu also performs similarly to the 1800x in multi-thread tasks a little less in some cases on par in some and better in a couple. 

I don't really do much if any rendering for that to be a huge huge factor in my choosing of a CPU but I do multi task a lot. I game on 1080p 144hz and have 2 more monitors on the side for other multitasking purposes.

Given his use case ryzen isn't great it is cheaper but really not much better for gaming especially at high refresh rates so why bother

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Fraser Cow said:

The i5 8600k is $50 cheaper than the Ryzen 1700 and it's faster 90% of the time if overclocked. It's really hard to recommend AMD now that intel has more cores.

yeah true but right now i think Covfefe lake is not yet ready he should wait until all the features that are promised gets release in bios updates and the MoBo's are not broken

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

MONITOR

PERIPHIRALS

Dont forget that coffee lake will get replaced in a year by new chipset and stuff.

Decent X370 will last you until 2020

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Just now, AresKrieger said:

He said money wasn't a huge issue and mentioned performance issues in gaming, and when it comes to gaming ryzen isn't great the intel cpu also performs similarly to the 1800x in multi-thread tasks a little less in some cases on par in some and better in a couple. 

Given his use case ryzen isn't great it is cheaper but really not much better for gaming especially at high refresh rates so why bother

well if he said performance i say HE SHOULD GET A MAC jk go intel now

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

MONITOR

PERIPHIRALS

Just now, dave_k said:

Dont forget that coffee lake will get replaced in a year by new chipset and stuff.

Decent X370 will last you until 2020

that's the only thing that i hate about it intel y does intel always update their socket's and motherboard things every time they release a new CPU

ASTRAY NOIR

CPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler

Corsair H100I PRO

RAM

GPU

ASUS ROG RTX 2070

STORAGE

Case

NZXT H500 

PSU

MONITOR

PERIPHIRALS

5 minutes ago, truecrafting said:

that's the only thing that i hate about it intel y does intel always update their socket's and motherboard things every time they release a new CPU

Eh it's a tradoff on the 1 hand it sucks that you need to change boards but on the other by the time I go to change a cpu the board is on its last limbs anyway tbh, Amd's strategy doesn't have that issue but it locks amd into a cpu design for far longer than the design will be viable, just look at AM3/3+ and how outdated it was before amd finally brought out a new product.

So really I think both strategies have benefits and drawbacks

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I was looking at the benchmarks and for 1080p the 8700k was amazing. And as for the argument about AMD's chipset not changing soon, it's true but by the time I upgrade my CPU again, it'll probably be 4 years down the line considering this 3570k is going into it's 5th year soon.

Edit: Exactly what Ares just said ^^

Edit2: Also, I'm still going to wait a couple months or so to buy it so I'm definitely still waiting for updates/fixes, I'm sure mostly everything with the CPU and mobos will be finalized by then.

2 minutes ago, heyitstony said:

Edit2: Also, I'm still going to wait a couple months or so to buy it so I'm definitely still waiting for updates/fixes, I'm sure mostly everything with the CPU and mobos will be finalized by then.

When you get to that point just poke around and see what boards are good VRM wise as that seems to be the issue with boards coming out, ASUS tends to be good on that sort of thing but I tend to stay away from them due to price and customer support. Oh and make sure you have a good cooler if you plan to overclock Coffee lake it runs hot af.

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

When you get to that point just poke around and see what boards are good VRM wise as that seems to be the issue with boards coming out, ASUS tends to be good on that sort of thing but I tend to stay away from them due to price and customer support. Oh and make sure you have a good cooler if you plan to overclock Coffee lake it runs hot af.

Will do thanks and I bought the NH-D15 a little while ago so I'll be good :)

Appreciate all the replies, thanks guys