Budget Laptops for VLSI Engineers

Hey guys. I am a graduate student and I am studying electrical engineering in VLSI design. A lot of my school work is focused around projects based on simulations on Cadence, Gem5 (simulator of virtual processors), report writing, web browsing and lots of coding. I am looking for laptop that could handle these tasks smoothly and have good battery life. My budget is 800 bucks. What kind of laptops should I look into? dual core / quad core, 4 Gb/ 8 Gb, SSD or HDD. I will be using both Windows 10 and ubuntu in the same laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Kartik

11 minutes ago, Kartik-Angadi said:

Hey guys. I am a graduate student and I am studying electrical engineering in VLSI design. A lot of my school work is focused around projects based on simulations on Cadence, Gem5 (simulator of virtual processors), report writing, web browsing and lots of coding. I am looking for laptop that could handle these tasks smoothly and have good battery life. My budget is 800 bucks. What kind of laptops should I look into? dual core / quad core, 4 Gb/ 8 Gb, SSD or HDD. I will be using both Windows 10 and ubuntu in the same laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Kartik

This bad boy. (LINK)

For $800 this is a steal.  It's f*cking loaded with a NVIDIA Quadro, a quad core i7, a 512gb SSD, 4TB of hard disk storage, and all of the extra stuff, like a fingerprint reader.  This is what I would get if I was an engineering student.

For $800 new, you'll end up with a dual core i5 or i7.