Pretty good PC specs but low FPS in game

HELLO! So I'm writing here to try and solve a problem I've been having. My PC has what i believe to be fairly good (above average) specs. I invested good money into the parts and everything. However, the performance of the PC has just been underwhelming thus far. I'm struggling to get over 60 fps in most games (Overwatch, Dying Light, Dishonored) which I should be getting comparing the recommended specs of the games with my own PC specs. Sadly most games run at 40-50 or even less. It's just been a really troubling issue and nothing I have tried has fixed it. I'm pretty sure my drivers are up to date which seems to be the main solution for most. But I'm still getting really bad fps. Just wondering if there are any tips or solutions? Would reformatting the PC completely, cleaning up all the files and stuff, make it run better? Thanks! 

PC specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

RAM: 8.00 GB

Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING

If there is anymore information you need about my PC I will obtain it for you. Thank you very much for any help provided. 

Are you running anything in the background as well? If yes then I would think getting 8GB more for your RAM might help (at least that is what I think)?

I don't really play those games you mentioned so I'm not so such but do they uses alot of VRAM on your GPU? (Heehee) If they uses or recommend using more than 4GB of VRAM then that will explains the low fps.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > power management mode > prefer maximum performance

gpu is probably underclocking with adaptive mode

(◑‿◐)

I know you said your drivers are up to date, but have you tried using DDU to uninstall the drivers and reinstalling the current driver from NVIDIA's website? My sister's rig has similar specs to yours (same GPU) and it was underperforming. Doing what I mentioned fixed the issues.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

- Moved to Troubleshooting -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

55 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > power management mode > prefer maximum performance

gpu is probably underclocking with adaptive mode

have done this. will try it out later. thank you for the suggestion.

42 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I know you said your drivers are up to date, but have you tried using DDU to uninstall the drivers and reinstalling the current driver from NVIDIA's website? My sister's rig has similar specs to yours (same GPU) and it was underperforming. Doing what I mentioned fixed the issues.

so after I uninstall my display driver I just install the GTX 970 driver again?

1 hour ago, BrenOva said:

so after I uninstall my display driver I just install the GTX 970 driver again?

Yeah, that's how it would be done.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

10 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Yeah, that's how it would be done.

I have tried both Valkyrie and your tips. Performance seems to be very much the same. Would simply reformatting the computer entirely potentially fix the issue?

On 10/7/2017 at 1:38 AM, Od1sseas said:

Make a fresh install of Windows 10

after I reset the computer do I have to redownload any drivers and stuff?

8 hours ago, BrenOva said:

after I reset the computer do I have to redownload any drivers and stuff?

Windows Update will do the most for you. You just need to download NVidia Experience

Are you sure you're monitor is connected to the GPU and not the MOBO?

On 10/9/2017 at 8:09 PM, VicRik said:

Are you sure you're monitor is connected to the GPU and not the MOBO?

pretty sure its plugged into the graphics card with a HDMI cable

• 4 years later...

I have this problem now i am running with 20 fps from normal 200 can u tell me how did u fix it?