Bluray burn sidcs

xIHuNTeRIx
Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,
1 hour ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

thx I got your point..

but how much drives I can use at same time?

I'm using z270e strix asus motherboard and 400c corsair case that hold 3x 3.5 and 3x 2.5 also have 2x m.2 slots..

are you talking about external drive base? (nas) how it works?

thx a lot man..

Well, the computer case decides how many drives you can have in it mostly... if you changed your case you could fit 8/10 drives in it with certain cases. If you're planning on having a large amount of drives for storage, you could go about it several ways:-

1. Have more HDD space in your computer.
  2.  Have hot-swappable bays in your PC.
  3.  Build a NAS to stream the videos to your devices.

With numbers 1 and 2 it would work out cheaper than number 3. But IMO number 3 is the best way as you can then keep your PC as small as you like if all your storage is on the NAS. If you factor in the cost of the NAS too, then blu-rays work out cheaper up to a point, but you have way more options having a NAS/server. You should also think about having backups in case of drive failure etc... but TBH you should have that with dvd/blu-ray too, they aren't impervious to having failures, scratches etc. To get everything perfect would take quite a lot of money, so if you want to keep things as cheap as possible, number 1 or 2 would be your best bet.

With number 1, you could for instance change your mobo to an m-itx or m-ATX board and have a fractal design node 802, this would allow for upto 10 HDDs IIRC (I have one, but it's OOTW and I can't see it right now), then it's solved your storage problem for quite a long time as long as you have enough SATA ports on your mobo, so if you ran out of ports for example you could get a pci-e SFF mini-SAS card, that would then allow upto another 4/8 drives via that 8087 to SATA cables... they are fairly expensive, but by the time you need them they may have dropped in price as they seem to be getting more common place now.. or you could pick up one that's used maybe.

Anyway, so if you did that, you would already have room for around 5 SATA HDDs(assuming you are using an m.2 for your OS and such), so if you got for instance 4-6TB drives that would give you upto 20-30TB storage. Just don't forget about having backups if you have important stuff you wouldn't like to lose. If it's mostly replaceable, just get a USB 3TB drive to have backups of your most important files.

Hey all...

I wanna storage my downloaded tv series at burned discs

But I found the capability of the normal discs is too low like 4.8GB

What I found more suitable to me is the Bluray discs that are 50GB

Can I burn Bluray(50gb) disc with a normal DVD burner (The usual normal one)

Or I need to pay extra more for the Bluray burner

The problem is my case doesn't support 5.25 drive bay so I need external one and I cant find one selling right now...

Thx all..

6 minutes ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

Hey all...

I wanna storage my downloaded tv series at burned discs

But I found the capability of the normal discs is too low like 4.8GB

What I found more suitable to me is the Bluray discs that are 50GB

Can I burn Bluray(50gb) disc with a normal DVD burner (The usual normal one)

Or I need to pay extra more for the Bluray burner

The problem is my case doesn't support 5.25 drive bay so I need external one and I cant find one selling right now...

Thx all..

to burn blurays you need a bluray burner drive same for reading them dvd cant read a bluray disc

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Pretty self explanatory, but no you can't. If you're looking for BD writers, you can get slim ones that come with a USB 3.0 interface, but they only burn at upto 6x usually... whereas the 5.25 SATA drives burn at around 16X max. You can get a SATA BD writer for around £60 here int he UK, while the USB BD writers tend to be around £125 or so, so you pay way more money for convenience of USB 3.0 basically. I actually have my SATA BD writer in a USB 3.0 enclosure that costs around £40, so have the speed still AND USB convenience :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Oh BTW, it actually works out only a little cheaper in the long run to store stuff on HDD, a 25GB 50 pack of BD discs can be had for around £30, so that's approx 1.25TB x 3 =3.75TB for £90, whereas you can buy a good NAS rated 3TB drive for around £90, so there's only .75 TB difference and the convenience of storing and retrieving stuff from a HDD is definitely worth the difference IMO. PLus if you wanted to you could get normal 3TB HDD disks for cheaper than that at around £75-ish IIRC, so would be about the same or not much difference.

The 50GB discs would be much more expensive at approx £90-ish for 50 = 2.5TB.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

13 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Oh BTW, it actually works out only a little cheaper in the long run to store stuff on HDD, a 25GB 50 pack of BD discs can be had for around £30, so that's approx 1.25TB x 3 =3.75TB for £90, whereas you can buy a good NAS rated 3TB drive for around £90, so there's only .75 TB difference and the convenience of storing and retrieving stuff from a HDD is definitely worth the difference IMO. PLus if you wanted to you could get normal 3TB HDD disks for cheaper than that at around £75-ish IIRC, so would be about the same or not much difference.

The 50GB discs would be much more expensive at approx £90-ish for 50 = 2.5TB.

thx I got your point..

I'm using z270e strix asus motherboard and 400c corsair case that hold 3x 3.5 and 3x 2.5 also have 2x m.2 slots..

thx a lot man..

1 hour ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

thx I got your point..

thx a lot man..

Well, the computer case decides how many drives you can have in it mostly... if you changed your case you could fit 8/10 drives in it with certain cases. If you're planning on having a large amount of drives for storage, you could go about it several ways:-

With numbers 1 and 2 it would work out cheaper than number 3. But IMO number 3 is the best way as you can then keep your PC as small as you like if all your storage is on the NAS. If you factor in the cost of the NAS too, then blu-rays work out cheaper up to a point, but you have way more options having a NAS/server. You should also think about having backups in case of drive failure etc... but TBH you should have that with dvd/blu-ray too, they aren't impervious to having failures, scratches etc. To get everything perfect would take quite a lot of money, so if you want to keep things as cheap as possible, number 1 or 2 would be your best bet.

With number 1, you could for instance change your mobo to an m-itx or m-ATX board and have a fractal design node 802, this would allow for upto 10 HDDs IIRC (I have one, but it's OOTW and I can't see it right now), then it's solved your storage problem for quite a long time as long as you have enough SATA ports on your mobo, so if you ran out of ports for example you could get a pci-e SFF mini-SAS card, that would then allow upto another 4/8 drives via that 8087 to SATA cables... they are fairly expensive, but by the time you need them they may have dropped in price as they seem to be getting more common place now.. or you could pick up one that's used maybe.

Anyway, so if you did that, you would already have room for around 5 SATA HDDs(assuming you are using an m.2 for your OS and such), so if you got for instance 4-6TB drives that would give you upto 20-30TB storage. Just don't forget about having backups if you have important stuff you wouldn't like to lose. If it's mostly replaceable, just get a USB 3TB drive to have backups of your most important files.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I think ill combine some blurays with another 2x 4tb HDD 

I'm gonna put the discs right after burn into a discs case so I don't think they gonna get scarthes too much but nothing for sure and nothing last for ever

so ill get external bluray when I find one close to me

and my first step is to buy 4tb Asap cuz I'm running out of storage place :D

thx for your help and advices I really took some in mind man best regards...