Video Editing NAS or SAN

gent23mj
1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

The main thing enthusiasts tend to overlook on this forum is how valuable vendor support is when in a business scenario. Downtime = lost productivity and lost revenue. 

Each part in a custom build having an individual warranty is not the same as having single source vendor support with next day priority parts delivery and - if necessary - on-site tech in the same timeframe is invaluable. 

Again, did I accidentally infer that I was not going to include vendor support?  Keep in mind I am listing my PC specs so that you will know its speed capabilities.  The NAS is not being pieced together.

1 minute ago, gent23mj said:

Again, did I accidentally infer that I was not going to include vendor support?  Keep in mind I am listing my PC specs so that you will know its speed capabilities.  The NAS is not being pieced together.

No - but also consider a workstation/editing station would fall under this too. Sure you can grab off the shelf components to build a workstation and save $1000 per editing station but when the motherboard dies, you’ve gotta RMA and wait potentially weeks for the RMA process, whereas with a vendor, you’ll have the replacement part next day installed. 

Now I'm not implying this is what you will do. Just that every time someone posts asking for purchasing advice for a business, the replies and advice they get often ignores or doesn’t consider how important vendor support is throughout the entire workflow. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

No - but also consider a workstation/editing station would fall under this too. Sure you can grab off the shelf components to build a workstation and save $1000 per editing station but when the motherboard dies, you’ve gotta RMA and wait potentially weeks for the RMA process, whereas with a vendor, you’ll have the replacement part next day installed. 

Now I'm not implying this is what you will do. Just that every time someone posts asking for purchasing advice for a business, the replies and advice they get often ignores or doesn’t consider how important vendor support is throughout the entire workflow. 

I understand.  But I think we are talking preference.  I have a laptop I edit off of as a backup, so that scenario is not a concern.

That being said, I understand your point. But I hope we can stay on topic here and talk about the NAS.

11 minutes ago, gent23mj said:

I understand.  But I think we are talking preference.  I have a laptop I edit off of as a backup, so that scenario is not a concern.

That being said, I understand your point. But I hope we can stay on topic here and talk about the NAS.

Have you approached any vendors looking for a solutions quote? (Often called “request for proposal”)

If not, I suggest you immediately contact several different vendors. Give them a ballpark with your budget, and explain what you need/want and why. Ask them to submit a proposed solution. 

It it also often helps to ask them to provide a three tier choice:

1. Good

2. Better

4. Best

at three different budget points. 

Also, reach out to any IT consulting/solutions firms and do the same thing - sometimes they can negotiate better discounts. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you approached any vendors looking for a solutions quote? (Often called “request for proposal”)

If not, I suggest you immediately contact several different vendors. Give them a ballpark with your budget, and explain what you need/want and why. Ask them to submit a proposed solution. 

Also, reach out to any IT consulting/solutions firms and do the same thing - sometimes they can negotiate better discounts. 

Yes, I have.  I've even got them collaborating with my IT guys.  But I came here because:

1. Dont fully trust salesmen, even though its a necessary conversation.

2. My IT guys dont really understand video editing
3. I want to learn, and while every answer given here is not the correct one it helps me begin to understand the field

Just now, gent23mj said:

Yes, I have.  I've even got them collaborating with my IT guys.  But I came here because:

1.  Dont fully trust salesmen, even though its a necessary conversation.
2.  I want to learn, and while every answer given here is not the correct one it helps me begin to understand the field

Indeed you need to be careful, which is why you approach competitors and see how different their solutions are. 

If you want to learn, pay careful attention to all the work they perform. Most vendors will also provide training if requested so you can become more self sufficient. 

But most of it comes with simply gaining experience on the equipment in hand. 

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed you need to be careful, which is why you approach competitors and see how different their solutions are. 

If you want to learn, pay careful attention to all the work they perform. Most vendors will also provide training if requested so you can become more self sufficient. 

But most of it comes with simply gaining experience on the equipment in hand. 

I agree, but at these prices i dont have much room for trial and error learning :) , especially when spending my boss' money ;)

4 hours ago, gent23mj said:

1. Dont fully trust salesmen, even though its a necessary conversation.

2. My IT guys dont really understand video editing
3. I want to learn, and while every answer given here is not the correct one it helps me begin to understand the field

Promax might be worth talking to as well, seems our Media/Design department are going to go with them instead of an SNS EVO.

http://promax.com/shared-storage/

They have some really good videos on their website of presentations they have done, great to watch.

6 hours ago, gent23mj said:

Did I accidentally imply that I was going to build my own SAN or NAS?  Haha!  Not even close!  I am looking for a guiding light and will def go with enterprise level gear with support.

Geeking out over tech and whats cheapest is not my desired conversation.  Though, each of those, still has a part in it.

More a case of every time this has been asked here on the forum it's always been a build it myself situation or every suggestion is that. There are a few IT professionals on this forum but the majority are just home users and enthusiasts so it's not surprising it happens, just freaks us out when we see it knowing it is a terrible idea for a business to do that.