Firefox freezes and is being annoying af again

Hey guys, 

My firefox is doing some weird things atm and im quite frustrated as there have been no real solutions online so far.

Problem is, it crashed suddenly while doing nothing special at all, just looking at amazon and stuff.

So, session restore, BUT nope. It hangs, freezes, etc. (See script error in the pic)

So, i investigate. And there it is, thousands of about:blanks littering the list, you cant get through them via scrolling, there are so many :D

So, question is how im gonna get rid of these and restore my session... 

I am quite an addict to opening many tabs, so there were like 300 open at the time of the crash but I had more than 400 working no problem before. So, bad thing is, in the menu of the session restore i cant do ctrl+a and deselect those tabs i want to restore and when i click on window 1 to set all tabs to not be restored, it crashes. I tried to click them away by hand but got sick of it after ~700 and still no real movement on the slider thingy to the right... So yeah :/

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

zocki

P.s. Texts are in german, im sorry, thats just where i live :P

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

Nothing special goin' on here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBA6Vo_srk

I know the issue, it's one of the pages trying to load a script and firefox just doesn't like it. Try installing the add-on NoScript, or finding out which page has the issue and either opening separately to the others, so just by itself so it doesn't take the entire firefox with it.

Maybe the upcoming firefox quantum update will fix some of these issues. *fingers crossed*

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Maybe the upcoming firefox quantum update will fix some of these issues. *fingers crossed*

Not a chance, mozilla never fixes issues with firefox. Just adds more stuff on top of it.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

You can try installing the beta right now @zocki5, it's pretty stable from what I've seen.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You were baiting a crash with so many pages open.

There may be a way to dig into Mozilla files to find the history database, I have never tried.

If you do manage to find where Firefox keeps its history you might want to clear your cache and cookies. This can make Firefox faster and more stable.

There's two plugins, one from the electronic frontier foundation for blocking tracking, the other is no script. This will stop pages loaded with ads crashing your browser. I have a slow laptop and many news sites are unusable unless I cripple the scripts and tracking.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

15 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I know the issue, it's one of the pages trying to load a script and firefox just doesn't like it. Try installing the add-on NoScript, or finding out which page has the issue and either opening separately to the others, so just by itself so it doesn't take the entire firefox with it.

Gonna install that and report back. Thx for the recommendation

Though that still wont solve the problem with the thousands of about:blanks i guess :D

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can try installing the beta right now @zocki5, it's pretty stable from what I've seen.

Gonna get that, too. Thx!

Dude, not trying to be a d*ck, but, switch to Google Chrome!

It never freezes (Compared to FireFox) and it's pretty snappy and lightweight.

It is nice and simple, check it out!

20 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Not a chance, mozilla never fixes issues with firefox. Just adds more stuff on top of it.

They fixed the no close/minimize button within 12 hours...

Maybe launch it without an internet connection, you will have to reload your tabs again but it shouldn't load the rogue script.

16 hours ago, 619glassyknight said:

Dude, not trying to be a d*ck, but, switch to Google Chrome!

It never freezes (Compared to FireFox) and it's pretty snappy and lightweight.

It is nice and simple, check it out!

Open 300+ tabs in chrome?? The guy doesn't have a fully filled Epyc server ?

20 hours ago, zocki5 said:

Though that still wont solve the problem with the thousands of about:blanks i guess 

About blank is the new tab page, did you really have 700 new tab pages open?

If it cannot load at all you could delete your session.restore (or something similar) to delete the backup of that session.

Also I recommend setting browser.sessionstore.interval in about:config to a higher value. Per default it saves your session every 15 seconds, way to frequently , to something like 180000 (3 minutes, it is measured in milliseconds)

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Open 300+ tabs in chrome?? The guy doesn't have a fully filled Epyc server ?

Couldnt agree more. Chrome is resource intensive af, i have close to 95% memory usage with more than 100 tabs and its glitched as soon as you get over 200 open tabs, where new ones will just be "out of bounds" and you cant click on them unless you close all the ones in front xD so, yeah, chrome is fast and all but not good for my use cases

Opera btw is handling 400+ tabs great, with rel. low memory usage and no glitches, crashes, etc., though the tab icons become tiiiiny and almost impossible to click on

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

About blank is the new tab page, did you really have 700 new tab pages open?

If it cannot load at all you could delete your session.restore (or something similar) to delete the backup of that session.

Also I recommend setting browser.sessionstore.interval in about:config to a higher value. Per default it saves your session every 15 seconds, way to frequently , to something like 180000 (3 minutes, it is measured in milliseconds)

No, I did not. And its not just 700, its literally tens of thousands. I cant get the cursor to move a bit when scrolling normally, its that many. I had like 300-400 tabs open at the point of the crash, then i tried session recovery and there were all those about:blanks under my "normal" tabs (see pictures)

My main concern is that i cant copy paste the links of the individual tabs over to opera and i would love to get some kind of backup in case the session restore thingy loses its shit completely... Gonna try that attempt nontheless, thank you very much! :D

Meanwhile im just gonna gradually transfer the easy to locate stuff over to opera by re-googling it :P

1 hour ago, zocki5 said:

No, I did not. And its not just 700, its literally tens of thousands. I cant get the cursor to move a bit when scrolling normally, its that many. I had like 300-400 tabs open at the point of the crash, then i tried session recovery and there were all those about:blanks under my "normal" tabs (see pictures)

My main concern is that i cant copy paste the links of the individual tabs over to opera and i would love to get some kind of backup in case the session restore thingy loses its shit completely... Gonna try that attempt nontheless, thank you very much! :D

Meanwhile im just gonna gradually transfer the easy to locate stuff over to opera by re-googling it :P

Firefox restores from a sessionrestore.js file. It may be that became corrupted (Saving 400+ tabs every 15 seconds who can blame it XD) but you may be able to open it with another browser/program and extract the links. Firefox will have documentation on this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, zocki5 said:

Couldnt agree more. Chrome is resource intensive af, i have close to 95% memory usage with more than 100 tabs and its glitched as soon as you get over 200 open tabs, where new ones will just be "out of bounds" and you cant click on them unless you close all the ones in front xD so, yeah, chrome is fast and all but not good for my use cases

Opera btw is handling 400+ tabs great, with rel. low memory usage and no glitches, crashes, etc., though the tab icons become tiiiiny and almost impossible to click on

Additionally before you abandon Firefox for good try increase the content processes in settings (uncheck recommended performance settings). Firefox would have been trying to run all those tabs on 4 processes! Chrome uses more processes simply when launched.

37 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Firefox restores from a sessionrestore.js file. It may be that became corrupted (Saving 400+ tabs every 15 seconds who can blame it XD) but you may be able to open it with another browser/program and extract the links. Firefox will have documentation on this sort of thing.

May I ask where I can find that file? I already read a lot about this stuff, where people lost it, etc., but I just cant find it in the folder... 

25 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Additionally before you abandon Firefox for good try increase the content processes in settings (uncheck recommended performance settings). Firefox would have been trying to run all those tabs on 4 processes! Chrome uses more processes simply when launched.

I wont abandon it for sure, its far too good of a browser

Ill uncheck that thing right away

Thanks man, you know your stuff :D

44 minutes ago, zocki5 said:

May I ask where I can find that file? I already read a lot about this stuff, where people lost it, etc., but I just cant find it in the folder... 

I wont abandon it for sure, its far too good of a browser

Ill uncheck that thing right away

Thanks man, you know your stuff :D

I found it in "AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\YOUR_PROFILE_NAME\sessionstore-backups"

where YOUR_PROFILE_NAME is name of your profile (probably just look around in the profiles folder

This file seems cryptic in wordpad however I can see URLs I have used so you should be able to extract them with something which can read json files.

Good luck.

image.png.f02e62dd6e9150ba6a8ae26fff3b410f.png

image.png.1c8227ef257a670672a8d633d0b2a008.png

On 3.10.2017 at 10:48 PM, ScratchCat said:

I found it in "AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\YOUR_PROFILE_NAME\sessionstore-backups"

where YOUR_PROFILE_NAME is name of your profile (probably just look around in the profiles folder

This file seems cryptic in wordpad however I can see URLs I have used so you should be able to extract them with something which can read json files.

Good luck.

image.png.f02e62dd6e9150ba6a8ae26fff3b410f.png

image.png.1c8227ef257a670672a8d633d0b2a008.png

Awesome dude, this actually works! 

Great stuff. Got all my shit transfered over to a backup and Firefox is up and running again.

Thanks a bunch! ;D