RAID 0 ?

Xino

hello everyone, i am looking for information about RAID (0) can you mix an nvme samsung 960 evo with an 16gb flash card ?

any other suggestions are welcome, i am trying to achive crazy numbers read and write speed for cheap.

Yes you can technically do that, but it would limit the capacity to 16GB and you'll lose all data on both drives. 

2 minutes ago, Xino said:

can you mix an nvme samsung 960 evo with an 16gb flash card ?

Yes but its dumb. Your effective total storage size would be 32GB and your fastest speeds would be just double of the flash card you are using.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Just now, Senzelian said:

Yes you can technically do that, but it would limit the capacity to 16GB and you'll lose all data on both drives. 

are there anyway of mabye using 1 of the drives for only read and the other for only write ?

1 minute ago, Xino said:

are there anyway of mabye using 1 of the drives for only read and the other for only write ?

No. RAID does not work that way.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

10 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

No. RAID does not work that way.

well how can i do that if not using raid ?

15 minutes ago, Xino said:

Not at all. You cannot simply write data to one drive and then read it of another. 

Its like writing a letter to someone and then expecting someone else on a different continent to send it back to you. Wut?! 

48 minutes ago, Xino said:

If you write data to one disk, how do you expect other disk to know what you wrote on it?

When using RAID 1, data is writen on both disks, but when you are reading data from this raid, it can be 2x faster since same data in on both disks.

I don't see any reason why would you want to read data from one disk and only write to another ... I can't get my head around that.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

What's the role of the flash card even play here? Why is it needed, what for?

its because i have have a samsung 960 evo and i want to get more performance from it without buying an other samsung card. so i wanted an cheap alternative.

again i dont know if its even possable, my teacher that have 20+ years in server technology told me that i could do that. :)

2 minutes ago, Xino said:

its because i have have a samsung 960 evo and i want to get more performance from it without buying an other samsung card. so i wanted an cheap alternative.

again i dont know if its even possable, my teacher that have 20+ years in server technology told me that i could do that. :)

Just seems a little pointless since it's only 16GB, not much space gain. You're better off just moving non performance critical data to another disk be it that flash card or an HDD.

There are ways it can be done with varying degrees of effectiveness but it essentially comes down to not a great idea when considering the vast performance difference of the two devices and the limited capacities in use.

Just seems a little pointless since it's only 16GB, not much space gain. You're better off just moving non performance critical data to another disk be it that flash card or an HDD.

There are ways it can be done with varying degrees of effectiveness but it essentially comes down to not a great idea when considering the vast performance difference of the two devices and the limited capacities in use.

but if i take 512 nvme card and combind it with 16gb card = 528gb ?

or is there somthing i have misunderstood ?

7 minutes ago, Xino said:

but if i take 512 nvme card and combind it with 16gb card = 528gb ?

or is there somthing i have misunderstood ?

That is correct but you are talking about a 3% space increase, is it really worth the hassle for such a small gain with the risk of reducing the overall performance?

Have a look at this https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/, this is one of the easiest ways to do the type of thins you are asking but it is not free. There are other options but some can't be done on the OS drive and others required the disks to be erase and blank to even configure it, you can't set it up after you have been using it.

Edit:

Woops forgot to actually add the link.

That is correct but you are talking about a 3% space increase, is it really worth the hassle for such a small gain with the risk of reducing the overall performance?

Have a look at this, this is one of the easiest ways to do the type of thins you are asking but it is not free. There are other options but some can't be done on the OS drive and others required the disks to be erase and blank to even configure it, you can't set it up after you have been using it.

but is that with raid 0 i can gain that, cuz if i take 2x 960 evo it almost doubles the speed ? then if i take a 16gb flash card and use that in stead in raid 0, i will get 528gb space and get double speed (if the flash card got the speed for it) ?

13 minutes ago, Xino said:

but is that with raid 0 i can gain that, cuz if i take 2x 960 evo it almost doubles the speed ? then if i take a 16gb flash card and use that in stead in raid 0, i will get 528gb space and get double speed (if the flash card got the speed for it) ?

If you did that you'd get 32GB usable space, RAID works on lowest common denominator on both size and performance. RAID is solely intended to be used on identical devices.

What you're wanting to do requires a software element to it. Any form of RAID, software or not actually reduces the performance of NVMe SSDs, the real world usable performance. Sequential read/write performance has very little to no effect on normal usage at all.

NVMe devices are just so fast putting any extra steps in front of it will always reduce performance, it's actually a really big issue in the server world.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:18 AM, Senzelian said:

Not at all. You cannot simply write data to one drive and then read it of another. 

Technically you can if you set up a write cache. But that makes 0 sense for the hardware he's talking about. 

9 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Technically you can if you set up a write cache. But that makes 0 sense for the hardware he's talking about. 

Just so I get this right...

You mean to basically use lets say a SSD as a cache which then later copies the data to lets a HDD so can read off of that and free up space on the SSD again?

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Just so I get this right...

You mean to basically use lets say a SSD as a cache which then later copies the data to lets a HDD so can read off of that and free up space on the SSD again?

No. It doesn't add any more space to the system. The point of a write cache is to have a fast but small buffer sit in front of your slower main storage, this can be memory or a fast SSD or in the future Intel crosspoint. This way when data is being delivered to that machine faster than the main storage can handle the fast storage will be written instead. Once the main storage is free it the data can be transferred from the cache.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

No. The point of a write cache is to have a fast but small buffer sit in front of your main storage, this can be memory or a fast SSD or in the future Intel crosspoint. This way when data is being delivered to that machine faster than the main storage can handle the fast storage will be written instead. Once the main storage is free it the data can be transferred from the cache. 

Wasn't talking about the point of such a system, but was more just describing what it does, to know that we're thinking of the same thing. :P

So yeah, we were thinking of basically the same thing. I do that just to be sure I'm not missing out on some cool new thing I haven't heard of.

Just now, geo3 said:

Write caching is more of a technique that a specific technology, and it's far from new.

Alrighty. :)
Excuse my somewhat small vocabulary, which is the reason for my rough explenations of things. :/

On 02/10/2017 at 5:43 AM, Xino said:

hello everyone, i am looking for information about RAID (0) can you mix an nvme samsung 960 evo with an 16gb flash card ?

any other suggestions are welcome, i am trying to achive crazy numbers read and write speed for cheap.

Ramdisk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

If you don't require huge amounts of storage, RAM drives are basically the fastest storage medium around at the moment. There are of course downsides - mainly that RAM is volatile storage, meaning that when power is cut (Eg: you shut down the system), all data is lost from the Ram drive.

You can get around this by copying the data to permanent storage (eg: to an SSD or HDD) either manually, or through some automated program or scripted task. You could also simply never turn the system off.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)